Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2022, 04:06 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Wisconsin has most all of it's black population concentrated in a few cities, and they all seem to have correspondingly high crime rates. So I can understand why blacks might see this high crime in their towns and are just deciding to get as far away from it as possible. Possibly by packing up and moving out of the state

The crime rate in Brown Deer, WI is 266. But in the city of Mequon, WI. which butts right up against Brown Deer, it's crime rate is only 51.

Mequon is 2.7% black population, while in Brown Deer it's 31.3%.
Black Americans are 6.3% of Wisconsin's population. 65% of Wisconsin's Black population lives in one city, Milwaukee. Milwaukee metro area is considered to be among the most segregated in America. Very few Blacks in the metro area live outside of Milwaukee, Brown Deer, and Glendale. (I'm referring to the Milwaukee County and the WOW counties).

I also think about this. Wisconsin outside of Milwaukee, Racine, and Beloit are not violent places. Madison isn't violent. Neither is Appleton. There are plenty of safe towns and cities Blacks could move to. However, many Blacks leave Wisconsin altogether for states like Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina. Crime is a good reason to move away from Milwaukee proper. However, it's the only reason.

I suspect most of Brown Deer's crime comes from bleed-over out of Milwaukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2022, 06:30 PM

Kansas City has about 500,000 people. Currently, it has about 117 murders, and the month of June isn't over yet. As bad as Milwaukee is right now, Kansas City is even worse.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...257005492.html

Old 06-28-2022, 06:53 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
But WHY is the culture so different in Charlotte? What is Charlotte doing that Milwaukee and Baltimore are not doing?
Depends on where the people who settled into those cities, came from. Every well established city has it's own indigenous population. They develop the culture in those neighborhoods over time, and their offspring perpetuate whatever that dominate culture is. The culture can change over time, if a new people move in, are able to establish their culture and take over.

It's like a person I heard recall how they used to sleep out on the fire escapes in NYC during the summer to escape the heat. That was the dominate culture in his neighborhood back then. It was safe then, now the drug gang culture has taken over, and it would be insane to sleep outside like that. In some cities the political culture is changing and looting stores in broad daylight is the norm.

Charlotte NC might still have a strong culture of respect for property and people, which explains heir low crime rate, statistically speaking. The city may also have a good police force. Police departments have their own culture, the same the general population/ Each city has their own unique culture. Whether it's strong enough to survive invading influences and and other influences which might have sort lived trends.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:02 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Kansas City has about 500,000 people. Currently, it has about 117 murders, and the month of June isn't over yet. As bad as Milwaukee is right now, Kansas City is even worse.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...257005492.html
I was living in California near Sacramento. I came to WI to interview for a job and the first thing I noticed when I arrived, as i drove around in my rental car, was that when the traffic light turned green and people didn't immediately move, no one laid on their horn. I also noticed the gas stations didn't demand you pay first before pumping, and the cashier was not hiding behind 2" thick bullet proof glass with that silly bank teller slot to pas cash thru. The cashier looked at me like I was stupid "Sir, I can't take money for gas until I know how much you pump."

Old 06-28-2022, 07:06 PM

398 posts, read 206,497 times
Its awful but I am not willing to live in a damn police state that BS from the 1990s "broken windows" Harass everyone for petty things in hopes of stopping real crime.

No way.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:09 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I maintain that liberalism is a mental disorder. Leftists continuing to elect Democrats in the face of disastrous results only goes to my point.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:10 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post
Its awful but I am not willing to live in a damn police state that BS from the 1990s "broken windows" Harass everyone for petty things in hopes of stopping real crime.

No way.
Funny, as I won't live in a leftist hellhole the kind that predated broken windows, such as NYC where they had 2500+ murders a year prior. I won't live in a leftist hellhole today where crime is rampant and police officers are denigrated.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Depends on where the people who settled into those cities, came from. Every well established city has it's own indigenous population. They develop the culture in those neighborhoods over time, and their offspring perpetuate whatever that dominate culture is. The culture can change over time, if a new people move in, are able to establish their culture and take over.

It's like a person I heard recall how they used to sleep out on the fire escapes in NYC during the summer to escape the heat. That was the dominate culture in his neighborhood back then. It was safe then, now the drug gang culture has taken over, and it would be insane to sleep outside like that. In some cities the political culture is changing and looting stores in broad daylight is the norm.

Charlotte NC might still have a strong culture of respect for property and people, which explains heir low crime rate, statistically speaking. The city may also have a good police force. Police departments have their own culture, the same the general population/ Each city has their own unique culture. Whether it's strong enough to survive invading influences and and other influences which might have sort lived trends.
This is what I know about Milwaukee. Most of its Black population goes back about 2-3 generations. Milwaukee never really had a sizable Black population until after WWII, when alot of Blacks moved there for jobs. Blacks escaping the South up until WWII were mostly heading for Detroit, New York, Chicago, and St. Louis. The 2nd wave of the Great Migration (the wave that my grandparents were part of) expanded that migration. Alot of Black migrants were going to New York, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc. They were also going to Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Oakland, Los Angeles, etc. My father's old neighborhood in Milwaukee was White neighborhood until the early 1950s.

Like many Blacks, my grandparents went to Milwaukee for jobs, and to get away from Jim Crow. The world my father was born and raised in, was a Black neighborhood in Milwaukee. It was one of the more marginal parts of the city, but there was also a Black middle class. As soon as housing discrimination was made illegal, alot of middle class Blacks left the neighborhood for other places. The poor and the working class stayed behind. Those who got more resources/better education left, and never returned. By the 1980s, my father left Milwaukee too. He hasn't live there since the early 1980s. He is college education, and he did hold a job in Milwaukee. However, he found it easier to get jobs in other regions. The West Coast, other parts of the Midwest (like Kansas), the South. The jobs were leaving Milwaukee. The drugs and Chicago gangs went in.

Before all of that, Milwaukee was considered one of the finest cities in America. It was considered an example of wholesome Americana. Milwaukee was considered a place to move to if you were Black and wanted to work. And I'm stating this in relative terms, because Black people were encountering discrimination all over America. The South just had its particularly virulent brand of it.

At one time, Charlotte was considered one of the murder capitals of America. This was back in the mid 1960s to the early 1970s.

Here is a link: https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...3,512808&hl=en

Charlotte had a higher murder rate back in the 1960s and 70s than it has now. Charlotte has grown alot since those days.

I think about this. And Charlotte up the 1960s was entrenched in the Jim Crow South. More Blacks preferred going to Milwaukee than Charlotte or Atlanta in those days. Now the situation has switched. Charlotte is a major banking center in the USA. North Carolina is as a state is a major research and development center.

My theory is this. Milwaukee has basically losing its best and brightest within the Black population. Actually, Wisconsin's Black population as a whole is losing its best and brightest to other states. Who is the most likely to stay? The underclass. Where are the most murders coming from? The underclass. Milwaukee went from attracting Black workers and a Black middle class to losing its Black middle class. Cities like Houston, Charlotte, Atlanta (even when Atlanta was going through its violent phase), Raleigh, Dallas, Orlando, Jacksonville, Columbus (Ohio) can attract Black middle class people better than Milwaukee is currently doing. And I say that is something that really needs to be examined. If Milwaukee's Black population had a larger middle class/upper middle class, there wouldn't be nearly as many problems.

Old 06-28-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_too_sweet View Post

No way.
I feel the same way you do. I don't want to be harassed for petty crap. There have been a few times someone called the police on me for petty crap. I have a "Live Free or Die" kind of mentality. If I'm not breaking any laws or doing anything even remotely suspicious, LEAVE ME ALONE.

Old 06-29-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I maintain that liberalism is a mental disorder. Leftists continuing to elect Democrats in the face of disastrous results only goes to my point.
And I maintain that it is not a mental disorder. Go look up liberalism in a medical dictionary. You won't find it. If you despise liberalism, just say so and don't go any further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies