Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 09:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Before the EPA water used to actually catch on fire due to pollution.
Yes that is true. It happens when companies dump large amounts of flammable liquids in the water supply. Thankfully we have regulations against dumping now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 09:47 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Fine, but if a state makes a mess because they decided "the people" knew better than the EPA, they should not be able to federalize the costs to fix it. No federal tax money to states that messed up their own environment. That's 100% on the taxpayers of that state.
The assumption here is that there actually is a "mess." With most of my EPA experience, the "Mess is highly subjective and likely does not really exist.

Once an unelected bureaucracy is created, the primary goal is grow and obtain more power. Unchecked bureaucracies are much like cancer.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:47 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You must be relatively young. I do remember visible air pollution, companies dumping toxic waste in the water supply, and a host of other unhealthy practices. Thank you very much but I do not want to go back to pre-EPA days.

Do you remember the pics from Beijing when the Olympics were there? You could see the pollution in the air and the athletes were complaining about breathing issues. Obviously our EPA is better than China's.

Be careful what you wish for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The EPA will still exist as it should, but not have unrestricted power now as it NEVER should have.

The liberals here prefer totalitarianism.

We must continuously fight them off, so this nation can be free.

Just because the EPA may have been good overall at helping reduce pollution, doesn't mean that it should have unrestricted power, enforced at the whims of the current administration.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:49 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
So will all regulatory agencies fall in the USA.

Why can we have regulation on food, toys, cars and not on the air and water we need to live?

Most definitely here the court is being overtly political and not using any kind of general legal context.

I may or may not support the EPA's regulations but I may or may not support many other regulations.

If you allow alcohol consumption in a state, why not weed?

oh wait --- because cosnervatives don't like weed?.,......

Old 06-30-2022, 09:51 AM

2,660 posts, read 3,855,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
But I would rather have a well paid expert telling coal plants they can’t have mercury emissions for example, because congress won’t do it. Pretending they will do it is naive and moronic.
Wow - Please unelected bureaucrat - run our lives.

"We have seen the enemy and it is us" - POGO

Old 06-30-2022, 09:52 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
They don’t want any rules. They don’t mind pollution if it brings money. Think Wall-E and the large people who couldn’t walk.
No to quote the left... what we want is "common sense" environmentalism. It's obvious you've never been out on a drilling site. Or in a refinery. Or a construction site.

True story whether you believe it or not....

A few years back on a pipeline project the extreme environmentalists got upset during a pipeline project. It seems that these little lizards were crawling down into the open ditch at night. But..... apparently these same little lizards were not able to get out of the ditch. Now why... don't ask me.... so every night the company had to put in "lizard ladders". Yes... that's what the environmentalists called them. (Basically, orange construction fencing cut into strips). And every morning the ladders would come back out of the ditch. Enter a lowering in crew. Pipe being lowered in by side-booms. Then a young, clipboard loving environmentalists starts screaming that 1 (ONE!) lizard ladder has been left in the ditch and it needs out now. So a young father (yes mistakingly) jumped in the ditch to remove the ladder and what happened? The pipe jumped. A quarter-mile long section swung to the side of the ditch. I don't think it takes graphic descriptions of what happened then? Common sense!!!! You know what... that inspector was supposed to be the expert...

Old 06-30-2022, 09:55 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So will all regulatory agencies fall in the USA.

Why can we have regulation on food, toys, cars and not on the air and water we need to live?

Most definitely here the court is being overtly political and not using any kind of general legal context.

I may or may not support the EPA's regulations but I may or may not support many other regulations.

If you allow alcohol consumption in a state, why not weed?

oh wait --- because cosnervatives don't like weed?.,......
And West Virginia loves coal. West Virginia that loves our federal tax dollars so much they live off of it, hates the EPA because coal.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:57 AM

6,011 posts, read 2,832,710 times
The Federal EPA needs to be abolished and decisions about the environment returned to their respective states EPA's. A Federal EPA is redundant and we cannot afford to run it. We are thirty trillion dollars in debt.

Old 06-30-2022, 09:59 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,964 times
A round of applause for a correct decision on overregulation.

Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Again --- this is not about any specific policy and whether or not I agree with it.

EPA has more regulations than it needs. It most definitely is not an effective organization.

BUT if we state that regulatory agencies cannot regulate, than we have to be prepared to have all regulatory agencies denied.

Why does the FCC get to dictate content but the EPA can't dictate regulations to protect us from noxious gases (again we aren't debating about the effectiveness of all these regulations but the existence of them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies