Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 09:21 AM

88,073 posts, read 83,928,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Read the constitution, read what Supreme Court is all about. I am beginning to think we have country of unintelligent people. Has nobody taken history…if so how could they not learn the basics. I truly worry our college educated people have been poor education.
It's always a good idea proofread a post in which you declare others to be unintelligent or uneducated before hitting "Submit".

In response to the thought I believe you were trying to express, unless it impacts their work or personal life, most people aren't thinking too deeply on a day-to-day basis about how our government works or what they learned in seventh grade. Heck, the writing errors in your own post go back farther than that.

Further, everyone knows this decision goes deeper than just a correction. For fifty years, the argument was that the SC had made the correct decision the other way, and lawyers were able to provide arguments that bolstered THAT decision.

I agree, by the way, that this country was set up to have states have a larger say and the federal government a smaller one. There also were only 13 states in a limited geographical area. As the country grew, the power structure changed from what it had been in 1788. Before the Civil War, people said "the United States are", and after the war, they said "the United States is". There was a shift in the power way back then.

And the shifts continue. Who knows what the future holds? We shall see.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-30-2022 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-30-2022, 10:27 AM

23,477 posts, read 13,711,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"I don't care what the Supreme Court or the Constitution says. I want the right to abortion, nationwide."

How on earth did we get to this point?

When someone is doing something they know deep down is wrong, they become enraged when they get caught.

Do they know that deep down it is wrong? There's the bite.

It's like say next year, the 2nd amendment is abolished and I must turn in my guns. Do I? Do I obey under the concept that it is the way my country works or do I find a loophole that my country no longer exists and therefore, I can say no?

In this particular case for the subject of this thread, we have to remember an important concept that is there but not discussed. The Constitution is not what gives a person the rights but rather, that they are bestowed to us by a Supreme Being (in whatever Valhalla you believe in). Hence, the bold statement above can be neutralized by that concept.....if one so believes to that extent.

How on earth........indeed, how on this God created rock, however that being is seen, did we get here?

Old 06-30-2022, 11:09 AM

88,599 posts, read 44,314,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Wow...I didn't realize there were so many women getting abortions.
960,000 per year. 960,000 human deaths per year. 48 times the amount killed by guns (excluding suicide).

Old 06-30-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
That's what Roe v Wade was for. Of course, I don't believe in the constitution as some infallible godly document, but it obviously has value as a harder-to-change document. What belongs in the constitution vs other laws? The idea of natural infallible right? Even though they may be changed?
Roe v Wade wasn't a Constitutional Amendment. It was an egregiously flawed SCOTUS ruling. Even RBG stated such and predicted it would be overturned. She was correct.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I don't think this is going to be the huge game changer for the Dems they think it will be either. I don't see the current tempo being able to hold until November. Plus more and more regular people that don't worship celebrity opinions are figuring out that they actually have more say over this issue than they did prior to the ruling.

The shrill screaming yowling burn it down ugly as a mud fence "protester" types are not as numerous or capable enough of holding fervor at it's current state for long. The crowds around AOC and company are going to dwindle as people realize they have to get back to actually having a life at which time the economy and price of gas is going to hit them between the eyes. The professional protesters will be all that's left to clap and cheer as AOC squalls like a scalded cat.

Life will happen and the actual facts will sink in for the most of folks. Hinging all hope for a blue wave in November on this issue I don't believe is going to work out to well for the Dems and their big shift to the left.
I agree. At most, only 28% of unintended pregnancies are aborted. Those who become pregnant even though they didn't want a baby usually don't choose abortion. It's just not as prominent an issue as the Democrats mistakenly believe.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:32 AM

35,368 posts, read 20,737,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I agree. At most, only 28% of unintended pregnancies are aborted. Those who become pregnant even though they didn't want a baby usually don't choose abortion. It's just not as prominent an issue as the Democrats mistakenly believe.
In 2015–2019, there were a total of 5,660,000 pregnancies annually.
Of these, 2,590,000 pregnancies were unintended and 886,000 ended in abortion.

34.2%
https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...rthern-america

I think that’s high - but besides all the statistics- why ? I think Obama care provided free contraceptives. Now it can cost up to $50 a month. That’s steep. If one woman can sleep 100 different men in one year but only will produce one child that year unless it’s twins etc. If a man sleeps with 100 women in a year that is 100 babies plus any twins. But they are irrelevant to any talk of birth control.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I tend to try and look at this as a constitutional issue from a federal versus state level and I think the Correct decision and letting the states decide is right. But when I also look at this from a woman’s perspective and her ability to have a choice I can see that as well. As someone who’s traveled literally every inch of this country I can tell you there are still parts of the country, specifically in the deep South, backwoods of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana where people are more poor than they live in Third World countries and they do not have access to things you and I take for granite. A woman in these areas that became pregnant, when it wasn’t wanted, IS GOING TO HAVE THAT CHILD, like it or not, if her state gets rid of abortion because traveling somewhere far away to get one, you might as well tell her to try and travel to the moon. It’s not happening. There really are people left in this country that still live this way.
She was always highly likely to have that child, even before the Dobbs decision.

Abortion Rates by Income Level, Unintended Pregnancies

Poverty Level: 8.6%
100%-200%: 7.8%
200%-300%: 16.2%
300%-400%: 8.0%
Over 400%: 31.9%

There's a HUGE statistical outlier there.

Figure 4, here: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content..._pregnancy.pdf

91.4% of women at poverty level and 92.2% of those slightly above keep their babies in the event of an unintended pregnancy. For women in the highest income group, it's a lot lower at 68.1%.

Abortion is a higher-income woman's privilege much more than a high-demand service for the poor, and it's not as popular as people have recently been manipulated to believe. At most, less than 1/3 of unwanted pregnancies are aborted.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:49 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,013,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
"I don't care what the Supreme Court or the Constitution says. I want the right to abortion, nationwide."
This sounds like something Biden would say.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-behavior.html

I don’t understand how Congress could make a law regarding abortion if it is a state issue.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, but I doubt that an overwhelming number of people are "using abortion as birth control", either. That's also an exaggeration. Or do you know a bunch of women who actually say, "I'm not going on the pill. If I get pregnant, why, I'll just get an abortion!" I've never in my life heard a woman say that. Have you?
I don't doubt it. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to women voluntarily participating in unprotected sex, by their own admission.

Out of 3.4 million unintended pregnancies per year

No use of birth control whatsoever: 54%
Inconsistent use of birth control: 41%
Consistent use of birth control: 5%

Quote:
“Inconsistent use” includes women who used a method in all months that they were sexually active, but missed taking some pills, or skipped use or incorrectly used their barrier method or condom during some acts of intercourse.
Figure 1.3, here: https://www.guttmacher.org/sites/def...lth-reform.pdf

The specific directions on prescription bc pills are that if you miss one or more pills, you're no longer protected from pregnancy and MUST use a back-up bc method.

Since only 1.7% of abortions are due to medical necessity, rape, or incest, YES... 98.3% of the time, abortion IS being used as birth control. As grotesque as that is...

Last edited by InformedConsent; 06-30-2022 at 12:09 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
In 2015–2019, there were a total of 5,660,000 pregnancies annually.
Of these, 2,590,000 pregnancies were unintended and 886,000 ended in abortion.

34.2%
https://www.guttmacher.org/fact-shee...rthern-america

I think that’s high - but besides all the statistics- why ? I think Obama care provided free contraceptives. Now it can cost up to $50 a month. That’s steep. If one woman can sleep 100 different men in one year but only will produce one child that year unless it’s twins etc. If a man sleeps with 100 women in a year that is 100 babies plus any twins. But they are irrelevant to any talk of birth control.
Decades before Obamacare, taxpayer-funded Title X Family Planning Clinics provided (and still do) FREE and very low-cost (sliding fee scale) contraception services/meds/devices. Currently, there are over 4,000 of those clinics located throughout the US (HHS maintains a registry). In my red state, alone, there are 112. All are operated through county health departments. None of them are Planned Parenthood clinics.

But your point is relevant. only about 1/3 of unintended pregnancies are aborted. The vast majority are NOT. Most women with unintended pregnancies choose life. Abortion is just not as prominent an issue nor as popular as Democrats mistakenly believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies