Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 11:08 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This sounds like something Biden would say.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-behavior.html

I don’t understand how Congress could make a law regarding abortion if it is a state issue.
They can't, now.

That's why the Congressional Dems tried to pass an abortion bill before the Dobbs decision was officially released, but they didn't have enough votes to do so. Not enough public support. Even if it had passed, the Dobbs decision would necessitate striking it. Lose/lose for the Congressional Dems.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:43 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Actions speak louder than words
True. So do you know a lot of women who live in such a way that they use abortion as birth control?

I only ever knew one person like that. (And hey, she lives in YOUR state now, waves the Confederate flag and everything, even though she lived in NJ until she was in her 50s, LOL.) But she's past menopause.

Most of her abortions had to do with a combination of alcohol and stupidity, which, I suspect, is often the case for those who have had multiple abortions.

Another situation in which I think women likely have multiple abortions are those selling their bodies to support a habit. I listen to a lot of true crime, and often street sex workers are the victims of serial killers because they are easy prey. It seems relatively frequent that when the bodies are found, they are discovered to have been pregnant. I'm guessing many of those pregnancies in that world are aborted, or would have been if the women weren't murdered first.

Old 06-30-2022, 11:53 AM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They can't, now.

That's why the Congressional Dems tried to pass an abortion bill before the Dobbs decision was officially released, but they didn't have enough votes to do so. Not enough public support. Even if it had passed, the Dobbs decision would necessitate striking it. Lose/lose for the Congressional Dems.
Nor enough Constitutional support, like none. That's what the Dobbs decision said. The Federal govt (ANY branch of it, either courts or legislation or Presidential EO) can have NO part in making any laws about abortion.

Just would have taken an additional footnote to strike down any "abortion bill" that the Dems tried to (mistakenly) enact.

Last edited by Roboteer; 06-30-2022 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 11:57 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,579,392 times
Default Hummmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Nah.

Even Gorsuch said, during his confirmation hearing, “a fetus isn’t a person”.
A fetus is a person and a human being in some states now.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:03 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
And for some of us it's always been that way...that life is created at conception.

But you see I'm not so judgmental that I think no one else should be able to get an abortion because of my beliefs.

Abort all you want but don't ask me to pay for it.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:06 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,604,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
And for some of us it's always been that way...that life is created at conception.

But you see I'm not so judgmental that I think no one else should be able to get an abortion because of my beliefs.

Abort all you want but don't ask me to pay for it.
More precisely, now that Roe is no longer stealing the legislative power from the states, you and your friends need to go to your state legislature and persuade them to make the abortion laws you want.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:08 PM

89,000 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
They were before, too. At least 38 states have fetal homicide laws. On the books prior to Dobbs.

Old 06-30-2022, 12:09 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
More precisely, now that Roe is no longer stealing the legislative power from the states, you and your friends need to go to your state legislature and persuade them to make the abortion laws you want.
I would never ever consider abortion so I have no dog in the race.
Those that want to abort their babies can go protest.

Old 06-30-2022, 01:02 PM

7,144 posts, read 4,738,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree, but I doubt that an overwhelming number of people are "using abortion as birth control", either. That's also an exaggeration. Or do you know a bunch of women who actually say, "I'm not going on the pill. If I get pregnant, why, I'll just get an abortion!" I've never in my life heard a woman say that. Have you?

Every woman I know who has had an abortion (and there are several, at least 10-15) has used it as a birth control method because they were irresponsible when having sex, and didn't practice preventive birth control.
And these are women I knew personally, which doesn't count those I have heard about who did the same.
No, they didn't say the words you wrote. They didn't say a word about it. Just that, "Whoops. They are now pregnant and need an abortion." Irresponsibility.
I don't know one single woman who had an abortion because it endangered her health.

Old 06-30-2022, 02:09 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
If economic benefits is a good reason to have abortions and eliminate human life, then what about the physically impaired? Should they be on the chopping block too? Last I check they depend on tax payer dollars and other subsidies.

Anybody that values a human life has a vested interest. Our representatives that we the people vote in are reflecting our views as a society.
Sure until the next war. What about all the hungry kids and vets been in the street since Vietnam. Hypocrisy at its finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies