Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 10:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times

Advertisements

Automobiles wear the roads very little. Their share of the cost would be mostly spent on painting bridges and winter plowing. Replacing the surface should be paid for by the trucking industry. That would be fair because the railroads have to maintain, repair and replace the tracks. The RR's also pay property taxes on their roadbeds but are not assessed a fuel tax..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 10:54 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
The only thing that could be good about high gas prices is finally getting more aggressive investment and r&d into alternative energy sources. It simply isn't cost effective for most consumers right now. Maybe it would help if people pushed for more use of alternate energy sources by govt. on a local and state level? Who knows. I got to admit the whole alternative energy thing is kind of interesting.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:36 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
According to Gore's book higher oil priecs are the only way to curb anericans use of foreign oil. But then he wanted to raise the price by taxing ti much higher like in europe;so that the goverment could use the money. Gas would be like $9.00 plus like in europe if so.I the end alternative fuels will only make progress if they can actually cost less than oil.; and at this time any that make a dent do not.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Quoting myself -

"I expect oil prices will drop just enough to bankrupt the folks that are investing in alternative energy supplies. That worked in the 80's it should work now.

This is why we need to replace our oil and coal fired electric generators with nuclear (with full fuel recycle and reprocessing), put very high taxes on sub 25 mpg cars and pickup trucks, subsidize electrifying the railroads and do the rest of the things (a very long list) we need to do to become free of foreign (monopoly priced) oil. We then have to use tariffs to protect the investments."

GregW

Old 05-27-2008, 01:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If you think rail is a dying industry check the stock values of BNSF, UP, CSX etc. They are investing heavily in new track and rolling stock. I think it is time to stop subsidizing the OTR Trucking industry and start charging them for the wear they do to the roads through a per mile tax.

I also think it is time to charge the airline and private aviation industry for the cost of maintaining the FAA's air traffic control and inspection system as well as security and to reimburse the municipal investment in airports.

An old friend of mine has worked for BNSF for more than 25 years. He says the high fule costs have been a bonanza for the railroads. Shipping by rail is now much more economical for many items than transport by trucks.

I fear that the trucking industry may take it on the chin this time, though.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:56 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
TAX,TAX, and more TAX. Thats what we need. Put a large TAX on the Airlines industry, as they are taking in a lot of money. Tax with a surcharge on all diesel truck operaters. After all they are runining our highways. Soon all citys will be charging a TAX just to enter their city limits as people are wearing out the pavement. Theres no end to the possibilities for TAX revenue. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a minute. WHO is receiving all the TAX?. Federal, State and City Gvmts is WHO. Not all of these surcharges and extra TAX levies are being paid out of company profits, this so called extra TAX/Surcharge is passed on to the Consumer who is YOU and ME. So who is gaining WHAT? Steve

Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM

1,197 posts, read 4,782,902 times
Quote:
High-speed electric trains. Wow, what a concept. Good science fiction for the time being.
Thats not true. California has a high speed train planned from San Francisco to LA, that will take about 2 hours I believe.

California High-Speed Rail

Old 05-27-2008, 05:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
paulysc- the higher prices of fuel go, the quicker a realized payback schedule for a renewable investment becomes. The technology is getting more affordable past few years, and if oil stays high, closes the gap. The next thing to consider is shelf life.

gregW- yes, partial truth to that, however... demands internationally, even if speculators get smacked upside the head, we can't produce enough energy through traditional means to keep binging like this.
The health of our country means that we really need to have people being more independant energy wise, and demanding less. It's not practical to think americans will revert to beating clothes on a rock, which is why DOE recomended energy star appliances to reduce consumption. However, if you want off the arbitrary market price, grid tied renewables can pay for themselves because they reward you for your excess production. Yes, we need to produce more oil ourselves, yes we can do some coal gasification, no we won't eliminate our need for oil, at best reduce our volume demands. It's just our infrastructure is revolving around oil too much, and it needs serious adjustment to stay within our own means of control (as a country, and as individuals).

steve- I wouldn't mind the tax on fuel so much if they didn't insult me with triple taxation million $ referendums for upgraded roads on the ballot box. I mean, it's as if they line up taking turns to see what's left to shake you down but 'forgot' they already taxed you at the front of the line on payday, then again at point of sale. This is insane, and that's just the way they want to keep it.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
TAX,TAX, and more TAX. Thats what we need. Put a large TAX on the Airlines industry, as they are taking in a lot of money. Tax with a surcharge on all diesel truck operaters. After all they are runining our highways. Soon all citys will be charging a TAX just to enter their city limits as people are wearing out the pavement. Theres no end to the possibilities for TAX revenue. WAIT, WAIT, WAIT a minute. WHO is receiving all the TAX?. Federal, State and City Gvmts is WHO. Not all of these surcharges and extra TAX levies are being paid out of company profits, this so called extra TAX/Surcharge is passed on to the Consumer who is YOU and ME. So who is gaining WHAT? Steve
Exactly. Most taxes are nothing more than a way for a state-sanctioned mafia (aka bureaucracy at the federal and to a lesser extent state and local levels) to get its take.

Taxes distort the market by making certain products more expensive than they should be, and they lead to even more market distortion through subsidies that make certain products cheaper than they should be.

Through the heavy taxation and subsidies present in this country's transportation sector, we have absolutely no idea what's really viable in the market.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
stone one gotta love that murphys law addendum
"nobody's life liberty or property are safe while legislature is in session"

Watch cspan, you'll hear them speak in terms of 'capturing revenue streams'. Since when is it ok for gov't to prey upon citizens? we need civics back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies