Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 06:11 AM

72,973 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
So, the gun was just hanging out on the corner, eh? Then without warning the gun jumped out of its holster and shot the woman, eh? It’s the human that pulled the trigger. It’s the humans that are out of control. Address the human factor and you'll solve this.
Hopefully addressing the human factor doesn't involve violating other people's Constitutional rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 06:11 AM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Do both of you really want to lock 17 year olds up for the rest of their lives. Time to show a little kindness.
Um-YES, if they have committed violent crimes and preyed on innocent victims. Your kind of "kindness" is why innocent people are dying at the hands of criminals! Stop feeling sorry for criminal trash and try empathizing with their victims, for once.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
For many criminals, prison isn't much of a deterrent. In some cases the threat of death doesn't work. We have individuals out here who can't function in society. Individuals who are so far gone, that prison is the only place they can survive.
So be it. That is exactly the reason for prison-to take the vicious, the violent, the predators, out of society.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,248,521 times
Something doesn’t seem right about this story. There are very few- virtually no- 20 year old mothers living on the UES of Manhattan. It strikes me as odd.
I’ll wait till the full story comes out.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:15 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,632 times
Quote:
Mother walking with baby stroller fatally shot in NYC, in good area on Upper East Side (link). These guns are out of control. The Justices of the Supreme Court liberated these guns to wreak havoc. Common sense gun restrictions would have prevented this grizzly murder. The guns must be brought under control.
I am still trying to figure out if this is a parody post or a serious post.

To read it in plain English, it appears you think that guns act independently and on their own. That somehow NYC had thousands of guns under lock and key and the SCOTUS ordered the guns to be released and now the guns are running wild on the streets of NYC.

The majority of gun homicides in the U.S. are done by people who illegally obtained the gun, for whom a gun is illegal to posses or the gun itself is illegal.

Criminals are out of control; liberals DAs have liberated these criminals to wreak havoc; the criminals much be brought under control.

The existing laws on the books must be enforced. If someone is caught in possession of a gun illegally or an illegal gun they must go to jail or prison, depending on the severity of the violation.

Allowing law abiding citizens to carry a weapon isn't why people are killed by guns in NYC, Chicago, Oakland, LA, etc.

NYC has the added problem of not enough being done to keep seriously mentally ill people off the street.

Quote:
Do both of you really want to lock 17 year olds up for the rest of their lives. Time to show a little kindness.
It depends on the crime. If the 17 year old has murdered someone in cold blood I'd like the "rest of his life" to be about three years. If the 17 year old has murdered multiple people in a mass shooting, lower that time frame by about half.

If the 17 year old already has fifteen arrests, four of them felonies I'd be okay sending him to prison for 20 years or so.

If the 17 year old has no criminal record, but uses a gun to rob someone; 5-10 years in prison. If the 17 year old has no criminal record, but is found to be in possession of an illegal gun, 18-36 months in jail.

You cannot have it both ways, which is what liberals wants. They think "guns" are the problem and if you just make "guns" illegal then "gun" violence will go away. No. The gun isn't the issue, who has the gun is. You have to punish the person who has an illegal gun, or uses a gun in a crime.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:16 AM

72,973 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So be it. That is exactly the reason for prison-to take the vicious, the violent, the predators, out of society.
I never said we didn't need prisons. I am saying that we need to get certain individuals to be afraid of prison. We can be tough on crime. However, if we have so many individuals who could care less, we have a societal problem, not just a crime problem.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:22 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
I am still trying to figure out if this is a parody post or a serious post.
Yeah, I'm thinking it's a troll post. There is no way someone can be this naïve.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I never said we didn't need prisons. I am saying that we need to get certain individuals to be afraid of prison. We can be tough on crime. However, if we have so many individuals who could care less, we have a societal problem, not just a crime problem.
True. Part of that problem comes from the fact that in our concern to be kind to criminals, we make prisons too "nice". It SHOULD be unpleasant, not a hotel stay with room service, libraries, cable TV and fine dining All too often the criminals are allowed to rule the prison, just as they do gangs outside of prison.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:23 AM

1,173 posts, read 549,920 times
Quote:
Mother walking with baby stroller fatally shot in NYC, in good area on Upper East Side (link). These guns are out of control. The Justices of the Supreme Court liberated these guns to wreak havoc. Common sense gun restrictions would have prevented this grizzly murder. The guns must be brought under control.
You don’t have a gun problem in NYC , you have a elected candidate problem.

Old 06-30-2022, 06:27 AM

6,091 posts, read 3,330,622 times
Quote:
I have a problem with that. It violates the 4th Amendment. Benjamin Franklin said it best. He who would sacrifice essential liberties for temporary security deserve neither.
Ben Franklin wouldn’t even be able to comprehend the danger of present day back in the 1700’s. I guarantee you he would be singing a different tune if he was able to see what the world has become.

We are a completely immoral society, not to mention that we’ve gone from 3 rounds per minute back in Franklin’s day to hundreds of rounds per minute today.

It’s very easy to see the left’s argument about banning all weapons. The only thing stopping me from joining them on that issue is that once we all are disarmed, we will be easily conquered and all our freedoms will be taken away. It’s a guarantee that will happen. That’s no way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies