Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
That's all nothing compared to driving a gas-hog SUV. Plus, those are things that not much can be done about...but its simple for people to start driving a more sensible vehicle....hell, in most cases, it would be cheaper to buy a more fuel-efficient car as opposed to a SUV. But if makes you feel better about being a lemming and driving a huge gas-hog SUV, then whatever. Screw gas prices, you got a nice trendy vehicle to drive to the mall.
I re-use all those plastic bags I get at the store. I recycle all papers and bottles and cans.
First off - I don't drive a "gas hog" SUV -

Next, I know your Toyota could not get to my home once in a while -

You can ditch the plastic bags all together and get the reuseable canvas bags

You can quit buying all those plastic products etc.

Lots you can do.

SUV's are not "THE" problem Sparky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
First off - I don't drive a "gas hog" SUV -

Next, I know your Toyota could not get to my home once in a while -

You can quit buying all those plastic products etc.

Lots you can do.

SUV's are not "THE" problem Sparky

Well, that's also your problem for living way out in the boondocks....that's another peeve of mine that goes right along with the SUV topic....more and more people living out in the "exurbs" in cookie cutter developments and ridiculously huge houses, necessitating long commutes to work...rather than living in cities and established suburbs. Nothing says American waste like the McMansion with the 3 car garage and SUV's, in the cul-de-sac development with no sidewalks, no character, no front porches, and is a drive from everything.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:06 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
Quote:
I think actual NEEDS, such as work, should be exempt....but all these people who could legitmately drive cars who choose to drive these gas guzzlers should pay more. Why should I pay more because of the greed and waste of others? Part of the reason for expensive gas is the oil companies know that demand for oil is high in the US because Americans can't get over their love affair with driving supersized vehicles. People who are responsible and drive smaller cars should not have to pay the same. And people could afford two vehicles if they need a truck for work....if I can afford two vehicles for my family on my modest salary, just about anyone can.
Mr. Krabs, if you had ever been in an accident where your large car saved you from potentially severe injury, you would be singing a different song about whether or not people who drive "unnecessarily" large cars should pay more per gallon than you do. I was in such an accident. That's why I continue driving large cars. I only get one body... I can always get more gas money.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Well, that's also your problem for living way out in the boondocks....that's another peeve of mine that goes right along with the SUV topic....more and more people living out in the "exurbs" in cookie cutter developments and ridiculously huge houses, necessitating long commutes to work...rather than living in cities and established suburbs. Nothing says American waste like the McMansion with the 3 car garage and SUV's, in the cul-de-sac development with no sidewalks, no character, no front porches, and is a drive from everything.
Actually, I do live out a'ways. About a 45 mile drive to my office each way -

But, we are not in a "cookie cutter" development - We have about 5 acres, in the desert, at the base of a beautiful mountain. We built our home last year (a little over 4,000 sq ft) out of real adobe block. Our property is totally solar powered - there is no utility lines of any kind to our property - we have our own well - and we are completely desert landscape - Our home has lots of character - don't need a "front porch" as we have a large area with the pool and outdoor kitchen (which we use a lot). Our nearest neigbor is about a mile away.

We do have room for our vehicles and the boat though - and, then the workshop off the garage.

Its wonderful: Starry nights (no city lights to interfere), quiet (no car or airplane noise of any kind). What we do hear though are the Coyotes howling during a full moon. Or, the quail makeing their beautiful songs.

I guess you cannot relate to this type of lifestyle though.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
Mr. Krabs, if you had ever been in an accident where your large car saved you from potentially severe injury, you would be singing a different song about whether or not people who drive "unnecessarily" large cars should pay more per gallon than you do. I was in such an accident. That's why I continue driving large cars. I only get one body... I can always get more gas money.

But if so many people were not driving large vehicles, then there wouldn't be such an accident risk. Plus, this may be a different argument, but if people would slow down a bit and stop speeding and driving so recklessly, that would go a long way in making our roads safer.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:11 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

Lots you can do.

and then something weird happened..........

............Greatday used his brain!!!!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPAguy View Post
If everyone drove small cars, then I wouldn't have to worry about being T-boned by a 5' bimbo on her cell phone speeding in her jacked up Excursion. I refuse to dump hundreds of dollars down a gas pump every month and support terrorism for the silly argument (rationalization) that I have to drive a monster vehicle to be safe.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If everyone drove small cars, then I wouldn't have to worry about being T-boned by a 5' bimbo on her cell phone speeding in her jacked up Excursion. I refuse to dump hundreds of dollars down a gas pump every month and support terrorism for the silly argument (rationalization) that I have to drive a monster vehicle to be safe.
Agreed!

I couldn't have said it better myself!

Old 05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Jacked up, Raked, Low Riders, Hot Rods etc - Customizing your vehicle has been around for Decades.

The ones that have always amazed me are the low riders with their ability to "jump" or "bounce" with the special suspensions they put in.

There is a lot of money in some of those cars!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:32 AM

681 posts, read 2,878,243 times
If everyone drove a small car, there'd be much less of a safety issue underlying driving a small car. SO... y'all who complain about gas prices so much.... get rid of your big cars first. If you survive, and you start the trend toward smaller cars, I will eventually trade my Thunderbird for a Corolla. You first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies