Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 03:13 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,202,888 times

Advertisements

here is a WW11 ration poster which clearly represents my thoughts on the matter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 04:30 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i'm not blaming anyone for global warming and i don't think suv drivers are to blame for high gas prices. where did you get that from?

i am saying that most of our oil comes from outside our country and the more gas we waste the more money we are sending out of our country, often to nations who don't like us too much!
That just depends on who you buy your gas from ARCO does not import oil as some others. It doesn't matter what vehicle a person drives and if they want to fly a flag more power to them.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:33 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,811,640 times
Quote:
read a few of your posts. a fellow "when we"? anyway you wanted a few examples of proven cost effective alternatives/energy savers. depends on where you live but there you go

Maine's Solar Challenge Goes Beyond Gov.'s Roof

Solar Water Heating Projects and Plans

ART TEC - Adding Solar Domestic Water heating - blog Home Page

R.C. North Plumbing & Heating Naples Maine - Solar Energy

Here comes the sun

Case study Raymond (http://www.heatpumpcentre.org/Publications/Case_Raymond.asp - broken link)

Geothermal Connection

Save Energy Maine - Heat Pumps (http://www.saveenergymaine.com/geothermal.html - broken link)

Solar hot water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Excuse me while I wipe away the tears from laughing so frigging hard at the "proven cost effective alternatives/energy savers" you linked to. a vast majority of the links are for projects in Maine, which is where I have happened to live for a LONG time now. None of the Maine projects are very cost effective in reality. The angle of the sun is low here for the winter months, and NONE of the links are for projects that will actually work in the winter when most of our energy usage is taking place. Some of them that involve water, their recommendation is to drain the systems during cold months, well news flash Bucky Beaver, that is 6 months of our year. The geo-thermal unit that was "designed" for use in Raymond Maine, did you read the specs for it. What a joke.

Plus the main problem is that every single link is for home heating of either air or water, this is an automobile thread concerning SUV's and the cost of gas to run them. Last time I checked I couldn't drag a 260' deep well behind my Suburban to utilize the benefits of geo-thermal, nor can I mount enough solar panels to do a darn bit of good to the roof of the beasty. Kind of hi-jacking your own thread don't you think? I smell an agenda on display here that has little to do with SUV's and the American love-affair with them.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:39 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,334,679 times
Quote:

Good for you, practice what you preach, I work alone so there is no carpool for me. Is the gas you buy imported?

Old 05-24-2008, 04:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,296,060 times
HELLO!!!!!!! I thought this thread was about SUV'S ? I don't know maybe i miss under stood THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD

Old 05-24-2008, 06:33 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,405,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I actually like not having to drive. I lived in London for 2 years and though I had a car, I did not "need" to drive it, 99% of the time I took mass transit. Even with that, due to how the place is built, I never needed to drive or use motorized transportation of any sorts to get things I needed for everyday life like milk, light bulbs, even the post office was right on the high street. London, along with most if not all European cities are pretty well planned out for people to eaither walk, bicycle or use some sort of mass transit to get where they are going.
Mass transit is a nice option to have when extremists aren't bombing it that is but its not an option for most of America. We simply are too spread out for it to be a posibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well I would love to know where my mobility scooter to fit in those small cars? O how about my 5'8' son service dog & groceries!!!
Exactly my point, its not like I drive an SUV for the fun of it, there are actual reasons I need it.

Quote:

How melodramatic !
While I drive an SUV, I don't buy gas from stations that draw their supply from Middle Eastern countries. I use BP instead.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:03 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,397,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Mass transit is a nice option to have when extremists aren't bombing it that is but its not an option for most of America. We simply are too spread out for it to be a posibility.

Exactly my point, its not like I drive an SUV for the fun of it, there are actual reasons I need it.

How melodramatic !
While I drive an SUV, I don't buy gas from stations that draw their supply from Middle Eastern countries. I use BP instead.
Because no one ever dies in a car wreck, thats why cars are much safer than mass transit. Please, lose the paranoya grip. We are no further spread out than anyone else, what, you drive hundreds of miles everyday? I bet everything a person needs for daily life, with the exception of work, is within a few miles of their house. The problme is they made it just far enough to not be able to walk to it or ride a bike, but yet close enough to make it a short trip in the car. City planners for you, always thinking ahead.

You have no idea where BP gets its oil from. You surely do not think BP pumps enough oil to supply itself do you? Considering Exxon makes up only 2% of the world market and they are the largest private owned oil company, how much you think BP is actually pumping?

Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,397,086 times
Quote:

What does Hitler have to do with oil? Germany is not and never was an exporter of oil. I do not see what it has to do with anything back then nor anything now.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:35 PM

715 posts, read 2,085,662 times
Quit your whinging and go back to uk where you came from, you brits always gotta whine about something.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:46 PM

3 posts, read 14,940 times
Default Agree with you

I am from the USA and I think that there should be a tax on all big SUVs to the tune of five thousand a year. and a five thousand a year credit given to any one buying a thirty plus MPG car. This country is full if neocon idiots that think it is some birth right to have one skinny skank driving a Tahoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies