Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:38 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times

Advertisements

Read an old sci-fi book called "Earth Abides" It' set in San Francisco. Plauge wipes out most of the people and the rest come together to re-form society

Earth Abides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Nature definately has its ways of controlling population to some degree. For instance, I have noticed that nature seems to be making a big comeback this spring. There are more natural grains and fruit plants growing all around the woods and roads than I have ever seen before. And the animal population also seems to be rising. I base this on the large amount of road kill I have noticed recently. Now I know some will say "there's always roadkill". But I have never seen so many dead animals all over the roads. Either they are getting dumber or their populations are increasing. As for human controls, I am sure everyone has noticed the recent trend of large natural disasters in extremely populated areas. The tsunami that hit Sumatra and all the other surrounding countries, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Or the recent China earthquake that killed several more thousand people. These are just small examples of what the earth may do when it reaches its critical mass. So yes, I do believe nature helps deal with population issues of all species.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:22 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,296,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Why can't diseases today have sweet names that are fun to say like "bubonic"? Instead of "auto immune disease", something like "rubber-reminder" disease. Or,"Oops, you did it again"? I know they don't have the rythm of "bubonic", so maybe the CDC could start "The Department of Homeland Disease Naming".

Richard Dawkin's book "The Selfish Gene" is a great explanation about evolution. It's around 200pgs (IIRC) and is an easy read. I wouldn't jump on board with his beliefs about religion (he's amazingly naive in that department... even idiotic... but, as he said in the past, he's required to publish books and when his sales fall off, so does he from the staff. So he has a self-interest in being controversial.) I wouldn't necessarily read any of his other works. Rather than being a teacher, he becomes a preacher of sorts.
The modern take on self preservation, no?

Thanks for all your replies! I really wanted to learn others' take on this subject.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:43 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
According to that famous expert Chris Brown, yes:

Chris Brown: Ebola is Form of Population Control - Illuminati Agenda - YouTube

Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Nature definately has its ways of controlling population to some degree. For instance, I have noticed that nature seems to be making a big comeback this spring. There are more natural grains and fruit plants growing all around the woods and roads than I have ever seen before. And the animal population also seems to be rising. I base this on the large amount of road kill I have noticed recently. Now I know some will say "there's always roadkill". But I have never seen so many dead animals all over the roads. Either they are getting dumber or their populations are increasing. As for human controls, I am sure everyone has noticed the recent trend of large natural disasters in extremely populated areas. The tsunami that hit Sumatra and all the other surrounding countries, killing hundreds of thousands of people. Or the recent China earthquake that killed several more thousand people. These are just small examples of what the earth may do when it reaches its critical mass. So yes, I do believe nature helps deal with population issues of all species.
Or there are more cars.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Or there are more cars.
Or the animals natural habitat is increasingly being incroached upon - forcing them to range further to find food.

Ken

Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
After watching a History channel program on the bubonic plague, which wiped out approximately thirty-five percent of the European population in the fourteenth century, I got to wondering: does 'mother nature' keep our numbers in check? Is that the true purpose of monster-like storms, plagues, fires, and earthquakes?
Maybe, if you believe in gods and not science.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
After watching a History channel program on the bubonic plague, which wiped out approximately thirty-five percent of the European population in the fourteenth century, I got to wondering: does 'mother nature' keep our numbers in check? Is that the true purpose of monster-like storms, plagues, fires, and earthquakes?

Yes, all creatures on earth, are in competition for resources. If you are taught everyone gets a trophy, when it comes time to compete for the resources, only the strong will get the resources to survive.

Starvation will keep populations in check.

Old 10-18-2014, 12:14 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
There is no "Mother Nature" with a consciousness that directs things--and no God, either (unless you want to believe in a God that decided to retire about 2,000 years ago). Humans just have a tendency to put everything in human terms (anthropomorphism, for the intellectuals out there).

Nobody "causes" storms or natural disasters, or epidemics--they are things that simply happen as part of complex systems. Earthquakes have geological causes; hurricanes are something that happen due to global weather patterns; plagues and epidemics are things that happen when large populations share space.

It has been postulated that wars function as a way to control human overpopulation, but it turns out not to be true: "Between the time of the plague and the 21st century, there have been hundreds and thousands of wars, natural calamities and man-made hazards. However, none of these have made a dent on the population." Overpopulation: Causes, Effects and Solutions - Conserve Energy Future

Even the World Wars didn't change things: "The wholesale loss of life due to world wars of the 20th century produced only small perturbations to the upward trend." Human Populations Unfortunately, wars are just something that always happen, because so many humans want to control others, and because the Military Industrial Complex is rich enough to buy politicians that keep the money flowing (out of the pockets of the working class).

Plague and epidemics are similar to wars--they may cause temporary population blips, but don't change the big picture. I remember being surprised to learn in college that after the Plague killed about 1/3 of Europe's population, the population rebounded and within a single generation had made up all the losses. It was also interesting to learn that if you were one of the survivors, you experienced a huge increase in prosperity as the resources of those who died were divvied up among those still alive, and labor's value skyrocketed.

Old 10-18-2014, 03:34 AM

131 posts, read 182,704 times
If half the population of the third world died in a deadly illness over the next few years it would be a shock but over the long term our world would be a better place. Thin the herd just like when there is too many deer in a forest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies