Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 09:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We already are, and have been, for decades. Are we sure it was just the liberals? Or was it government, overall?

I have been doing the gig economy for 2 + years now. I have to fill out a return every year. Same as it was in the 90s when I was an IC courier.

Not sure why you're blaming this on liberals. It has been this way since I've been old enough to work and file taxes. It's just plain old government finding every possible way to take our money.

Not sure how this 'fair tax' would change any of that.
If it is to go the way it has been laid out, the tax we would pay would be based on spending, not income

it is estimated that ~50% of income is never reported

think about it this way (I'll use an extreme.."job") a drug dealer...deals in drugs right... well all the money he makes selling those items...nothing is ever reported as income (why, because most of it is illegal, )...but of the 100's of thousands he/she may make, they will spend a lot of it...and with a consumption tax, they (the government) gets their %, based on what is spent.

think about it this way (I'll use an not so extreme.."job" this time ) a Car/vehicle detailer...details/ maybe tinting too vehicles right... well all the money he makes doing that service...nothing is ever reported as income unless he is having every customer fill out a 1099...but of the 10's of thousands he/she may make, they will spend a lot of it...and with a consumption tax, they (the government) gets their %, based on what is spent.

let's look at the billionaires out there that the left complains they "don't pay their fair share"..maybe (like buffett) he only has a "earned income" of 100k, but also gets 50m from stock dividends...and ends up paying 5m in INCOME TAX...... but during the year he/she SPENDS 45m...under a consumption tax he will end up paying 10m in taxes (collected by the retail purchase points)....so the rich guy (who liberals karen'ed about) are now paying double what they paid under the income tax

let's look at the workingclass .maybe he/she only has a income of 50-60k, when they do their taxes, it comes out to 5k, but they get a refund of everything back...... and during the year he/she SPENDS 30k...under a consumption tax, they get a prebate of 7.5k he will end up paying 6.9k in taxes (collected by the retail purchase points)....so the workingclass guy is now paying less than what they paid under the income tax, actually being 600 to the better

again, IF, (and that is a big if) If it is to go the way it has been laid out

I am not being naïve, or gullible, I just hate the income tax, and taxing income (which a lot is never reported) is just stupid..... do I think our congress, will actually pass the fairtax, the way it was originally written (which I believe is (could be) a good system ) , I don't get my hope up, not with todays congress, but I am not a negative Nellie like the OP either
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2022, 10:06 AM

3,403 posts, read 1,443,918 times
Default the fairtax is rope-a-dope scheme to expand the federal government's taxing arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The so called Fair Tax is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of.
Actually, the alleged fairtax is a very clever thought-out rope-a-dope scheme which, if adopted, would expand the reach of our federal government's taxing arm, and tighten its grip around the necks of America's working-class people.

Not only would our nation's working-class be subject to a new 23 percent tax on the purchase of consumer goods and services, but also subject to collecting and paying a 23 percent tax to the federal government when selling the property each has in their own labor!

Additionally, anyone subject to the alleged fair tax as a taxpayer must file fairtax returns 12 frickin times a year and do so under the penalty of perjury. And now that the federal government has politically weaponized the paying of individual income taxes, do we really want to expand its powers as proposed under the fairtax?

Old 08-03-2022, 10:27 AM

95 posts, read 50,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
only on a new house or car..... previously owned= no tax
You say that , but how long do you think it would be before they started taxing resale items?
Be honest...

Old 08-03-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwk1 View Post

Not only would our nation's working-class be subject to a new 23 percent tax on the purchase of consumer goods and services, but also subject to collecting and paying a 23 percent tax to the federal government when selling the property each has in their own labor!

you realize that all products right now, you are paying about 30% in built in taxes, that will go away

Old 08-03-2022, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark n Stormy View Post
You say that , but how long do you think it would be before they started taxing resale items?
Be honest...
the way the plan was originally written, by economists, its only on new products are the end state...UNLIKE a VAT which is at every level, and on used items too

is it possible the greedy liberals will want to tax resale... sure its possible, but that is not in the origianl plan

Old 08-03-2022, 11:38 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
the only fair income tax is zero. Anyone who wants to fund our Federal government isn't paying attention to how bad the Feds are.

A federal government with a small defined roll like the founders envisioned.

Old 08-03-2022, 03:21 PM

Default Here is real tax reform. . . the fair share balanced budget amendment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
We already are, and have been, for decades. Are we sure it was just the liberals? Or was it government, overall?

I have been doing the gig economy for 2 + years now. I have to fill out a return every year. Same as it was in the 90s when I was an IC courier.

Not sure why you're blaming this on liberals. It has been this way since I've been old enough to work and file taxes. It's just plain old government finding every possible way to take our money.

Not sure how this 'fair tax' would change any of that.
The poster believes using the liberal vs conservative card gives credibility to the alleged fairtax. The poster even resorted to asserting I am a liberal to discount my objection to the phony-baloney fairtax con job.

But as you correctly indicate "It's just plain old government finding every possible way to take our money."

Aside from that do you think any liberal would support my solution for tax reform?

Old 08-03-2022, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark n Stormy View Post
Be honest...
Exactly! You can't trust these clowns. And in regard to that fact, Thomas Jefferson put it this way:

"In matters of power let no more be heard of confidence in men, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution. ..." Thomas Jefferson

The alleged fairtax certainly does not do that!

Old 08-04-2022, 06:53 AM

5,339 posts, read 3,212,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
What needs to happen is far simpler as far as individual citizens paying taxes: no basis on income/earnings at all and a simple, basic consumption tax. That's it. End of story. No need for an IRS. No need for much of anything more than is needed to charge a sales tax when you buy things at the store.
You are correct, the most "fair" tax there is, is a consumption tax. It's neither progressive nor regressive by nature. People who make less tend to spend less. People who make more tend to spend more. It eliminates the need for the bloated IRS and the time business and individuals spend record keeping so that you can, again, waste time to calculate your tax liability. And the IRS wasting time to calculate your tax liability. And then the IRS saying you're wrong...and the cycle goes round and round.

The tax should be set up like the Canadian GST - every transaction is taxed for both business and individuals and business can take an input tax credit on taxes paid for items ultimately resold (net is the tax on items actually consumed).

The single reason this will never, ever pass is that it completely removes politicians' (both D&R) ability to buy votes via tax loopholes.

It's so simple and fair I have no idea why anyone would prefer a system based on income.

Old 08-04-2022, 11:53 AM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
You are correct, the most "fair" tax there is, is a consumption tax. It's neither progressive nor regressive by nature. People who make less tend to spend less. People who make more tend to spend more. It eliminates the need for the bloated IRS and the time business and individuals spend record keeping so that you can, again, waste time to calculate your tax liability. And the IRS wasting time to calculate your tax liability. And then the IRS saying you're wrong...and the cycle goes round and round.

The tax should be set up like the Canadian GST - every transaction is taxed for both business and individuals and business can take an input tax credit on taxes paid for items ultimately resold (net is the tax on items actually consumed).

The single reason this will never, ever pass is that it completely removes politicians' (both D&R) ability to buy votes via tax loopholes.

It's so simple and fair I have no idea why anyone would prefer a system based on income.
Canada has an income tax as well. GST is essentially a VAT, which no one has ever proposed in the US.

It hasn't taken me more than 15 minutes to do my taxes in years.

The IRS isn't bloated, otherwise it wouldn't take days to get an answer when you call them.

There is nothing wrong with a progressive income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies