Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 04:50 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,838,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It is true that the world is turning more authoritarian. Not sure I want to see that happen in this country though. That's what scares me about the GOP.

Trump is only after what benefits Trump, nothing more. If the establishment got him into office, he would be all about it. He is a narcissist first and foremost.

All politicians are narcissists. Every single one of them. They all desire improving their lot - be it $, attention, power etc. Why would people like crazy Joe hang around for 40 yrs unless he did not have a huge narcissistic trait?

If Trump embraced thevestablishment, he would have never garnered the huge following he did. He was/is an extremely bright man who saw an unmet need in bashing the establishment.

Agree that his "bedside manner" could be better - but that is a minor issue. We can live with mean tweets if it means we get great policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 05:01 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
He said, "a Christian politician cannot be racist".

Do you agree with that?
As a practical matter I agree that a person who claims to be a Christian can be racist. But I didn’t agree 100 percent with everything he said. I still think the State should be mostly secular, but things are a bit different in his country because of its long history of being based on orthodoxy.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 08-06-2022, 06:18 PM

25,427 posts, read 9,747,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
All politicians are narcissists. Every single one of them. They all desire improving their lot - be it $, attention, power etc. Why would people like crazy Joe hang around for 40 yrs unless he did not have a huge narcissistic trait?

If Trump embraced thevestablishment, he would have never garnered the huge following he did. He was/is an extremely bright man who saw an unmet need in bashing the establishment.

Agree that his "bedside manner" could be better - but that is a minor issue. We can live with mean tweets if it means we get great policy.
He may be anti-establishment on the outside for the sake of his followers, but I can guarantee you he is every bit establishment on the inside as the rest of them. He knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:50 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,978,585 times
I disagree that the GOP is growing stronger as a party. Certainly, recent elections have proved otherwise (I'm not talking about primaries).

I will not burden readers with links. So, my opinion only.

The Republican party is certainly not 'inclusive'. Indeed, of late, they seem to be trying to drive away voters.

Examples: At the recent Texas Republican Convention, the party did not allow the Log Cabin Republicans to set up a booth (gay Republicans). Said gay Republicans were outraged. I do not know why. After all, the party has been against gays since the 1970s.

Women: The Dodd decision has turned many Republican women voters against the party. See: Kansas. I discuss this more in another thread.

Veterans: The 'burn pit' bill. Now, I understood that those Republican Senators that voted for the bill, then against it, would again vote for it. However, it was very bad optics. Jon Stewart made hay out of it, and many Vets are obviously wondering if Republicans actually support them.

Medicare and Social Security: Why Republicans think this is a good time to touch that 'third rail' is beyond me. For those in Rio Linda, quite a few Republican leaders are calling for a 'review' of such benefits every few years, including cutting such benefits. Since much of the Republican base is made up of senior citizens, this has me puzzled. Yes, the budget deficit must be addressed, but the Democrats are making hay out of the fact that Republicans are opposed to taxes on the wealthy, yet want to cut entitlement benefits.

Minorities: I do think that the Republicans are making good inroad in some of the Hispanic voters, especially Cuban and south Texas. Yet, the Hispanic population is large, and I think some of the talk about how Hispanics will 'soon overtake whites' as the majority population turns them off (since it implies disaster). As for the black community? Mr. Trump may always have some black guy in camera for his rallies, but that does not indicate a movement towards him, or the Republican party.

Professionals: The Republicans are losing teachers, doctors and other health care professionals. Teachers? In Florida, Governor DeSantis has mandated that teachers undergo a three day seminar concerning forbidden subjects in school. Yet, people wonder why Florida (and Texas) have a massive teacher shortage. As for health care: they are sick and tired of Republicans denying the pandemic is a problem, while thousands of them are dead or have long term Covid.

The Republicans have cast their lot with white supremist and racists. That is their base, sadly. Watch the CPAC going on now, or any of Mr. Trump's 'rallies'. Yet, that will not build a consensus among Americans.

Old 08-06-2022, 06:57 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,882,111 times
Quote:
He may be anti-establishment on the outside for the sake of his followers, but I can guarantee you he is every bit establishment on the inside as the rest of them. He knows which side his bread is buttered on.

Yeah.

As is evidenced by the Establishment spending every waking moment they possess attempting to destroy him.

Makes perfect sense.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:32 PM

1,889 posts, read 1,320,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Oh yeah, the Left isn't worried about a MAGA resurgence at all.

Not whatsoever.
I think it's dawning on the left that the Biden saga is merely Chapter 2 in the continuum of right-wing victories we've enjoyed since the Great Echo Chamber Implosion of 2016 rather than an inflection point in the trajectory of this nation.

Many wondered why it was their victories were coming too easily back in 2020. Now they know why.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:02 PM

13,564 posts, read 4,871,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodyRepub View Post
Fantastic and concise editorial from Spectator Magazine.

Even so, here's less than half the article if you don't have a lot of reading time, I tried to choose wisely.

https://spectatorworld.com/topic/lif...ism-democrats/

I honestly agree with all of that. And it is all ultimately positive and hopeful, if you find yourself anywhere on the right side of the spectrum. (Maybe even center left?)

Freedom is, above all, the essence of America. And we should be striving for it, even if we fail; instead we have a gargantuan Federal govt. poking its nose into each facet of every citizen's existence. From cradle to grave they want to add more taxes, more stifling bureaucracy, and downgrade the quality of American life via the degradation of our freedom.

But the author contends that is all about to change - and we are entering a new political era as the present one approaches its dramatic climax.

For a touch of realism, I do recommend the conclusion of the article, however, where he alludes to the fact that Republicans are now going to be responsible for where our culture goes next - and they will need to learn that MAGA is the glue of the new coalition.

A return to the Republican party of yore, would be a devastating mistake.
A bunch of unsupported assertions by the author.

“They (Democrats) ceased to think of America as a nation dedicated to an always-advancing Jeffersonian ideal of personal freedom“. Isn’t that what the abortion debate is about - personal freedom? Isn’t that what LGBTQ rights are all about? Republicans were dragged kicking and screaming to acknowledge gay marriage. They are the party of banning books, banning abortion, now they talk about banning birth control. The Christian Taliban has no grounds to talk about personal freedom.

Oh, and optimism and hope? It’s the Republicans on this forum who constantly carp about our society and how our country is such a cesspool. You could stand to take a clue from your patron saint Ronald Reagan.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:53 PM

2,953 posts, read 988,320 times
Quote:
It is true that the world is turning more authoritarian. Not sure I want to see that happen in this country though. That's what scares me about the GOP.

Trump is only after what benefits Trump, nothing more. If the establishment got him into office, he would be all about it. He is a narcissist first and foremost.
Come and see the emotion and fear inherent in the message. Fear of a fantasy of right wing authoritarianism as we live the reality of left wing authoritarianism.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:14 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,149,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee-Bey View Post
Come and see the emotion and fear inherent in the message. Fear of a fantasy of right wing authoritarianism as we live the reality of left wing authoritarianism.
Totally! Which party utters the words “mandatory, required, obligatory” more often? It’s the left by a country mile.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:15 PM

7,817 posts, read 2,882,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Totally! Which party utters the words “mandatory, required, obligatory” more often? It’s the left by a country mile.

Yep, the Democrats are the very authoritarians they're constantly warning everyone about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies