Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 07:38 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,305,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Are you denying that the wealth of a company ends up with the high level management and owners while workers are lucky to get a slight bit more than a cost of living increase during the years they do get salary increases?

I think Haksel is spot on.
a public company? Heck no. "High level management" makes a killing, but they don't come close to making a dent in the EBITDA of a company.

A private company, where technically the owner's money only comes AFTER the employees are paid their agreed-to compensation, the vendors are paid, the IRS is paid, etc etc?

Sure.

Who's taking the risk of earning $0? The employee paid every 2 weeks? Or the owner that has to see if his company generated cash/earnings beyond costs and thus can have a paycheck?

As usual, Democrats display a vast ignorance on how small businesses work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 07:41 PM

45,304 posts, read 60,476,130 times
A little bit about the "shrinking" middle class. It isn't what you think:

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-five-decades/

Short version is that more people have moved up out of it than have moved down.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...-five-decades/

Old 08-14-2022, 08:38 PM

619 posts, read 310,606 times
Conservative trickle down philosophy doesn’t work because big corporations/ wealthy always find ways to avoid tax; either as a loophole or illegally.

Liberal welfare state doesn’t work because it promotes laziness among people and encourages them not to give their 100%.

Both systems are deeply flawed. May be in endless universe, there exists a civilization that has figured out the “perfect” system.

I will say one thing though; conservative leadership benefits wealthy, while Dems benefit lower income folks. It’s the middle class that gets squeezed either way. There is no system that specifically looks after the middle class.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:45 PM

37,955 posts, read 22,128,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
The facts disagree with you:

Pay is rising fastest for low earners. One reason? Minimum wages.

These days, wages in the United States are doing something extraordinary: They’re growing faster at the bottom than at the top. In fact, recent growth for workers with low wages has outpaced that for high-wage workers by the widest margin in at least 20 years.

Wages Rising: The US Economy Is Now Working Best for Lower-wage Workers

Wages have accelerated in recent months, and our wage tracker currently stands at a cycle-high pace of 3.4%. … Breaking down the wage acceleration by income level, we find that wage growth has picked up sharply in the bottom half of the wage distribution, with considerably slower growth in the upper half. This pattern is consistent with our prior finding that lower income wage growth is more sensitive to slack, while higher income wage growth is more sensitive to corporate profitability. … Even if job growth slows as the labor market tightens, labor income should continue to grow at a healthy pace if wage momentum persists. The firming of wages should also put some modest upward pressure on inflation, with accelerating wage growth often preceding higher inflation.

At least the money was trickling down in the form of increased wages for lower income earners, Biden made sure that was halted in its tracks.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:54 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,791,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
The facts disagree with you:

Pay is rising fastest for low earners. One reason? Minimum wages.

These days, wages in the United States are doing something extraordinary: They’re growing faster at the bottom than at the top. In fact, recent growth for workers with low wages has outpaced that for high-wage workers by the widest margin in at least 20 years.

Wages Rising: The US Economy Is Now Working Best for Lower-wage Workers

Wages have accelerated in recent months, and our wage tracker currently stands at a cycle-high pace of 3.4%. … Breaking down the wage acceleration by income level, we find that wage growth has picked up sharply in the bottom half of the wage distribution, with considerably slower growth in the upper half. This pattern is consistent with our prior finding that lower income wage growth is more sensitive to slack, while higher income wage growth is more sensitive to corporate profitability. … Even if job growth slows as the labor market tightens, labor income should continue to grow at a healthy pace if wage momentum persists. The firming of wages should also put some modest upward pressure on inflation, with accelerating wage growth often preceding higher inflation.

At least the money was trickling down in the form of increased wages for lower income earners, Biden made sure that was halted in its tracks.
Wage growth is well behind inflation. The non-working poor getting absolutely clobbered with 9% inflation and notably high food prices.

Old 08-14-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
Conservative trickle down philosophy doesn’t work because big corporations/ wealthy always find ways to avoid tax; either as a loophole or illegally.

Liberal welfare state doesn’t work because it promotes laziness among people and encourages them not to give their 100%.

Both systems are deeply flawed. May be in endless universe, there exists a civilization that has figured out the “perfect” system.

I will say one thing though; conservative leadership benefits wealthy, while Dems benefit lower income folks. It’s the middle class that gets squeezed either way. There is no system that specifically looks after the middle class.
Funny how Trump showed in just a few short years, that if the government does not over regulate and over tax businesses, they will use money from their profits to increase wages and benefits for their employees.

I do not understand how you can think the democrat policies benefit lower income folks, when their policies wreck the very people you claim they help.

When you raise taxes on corporations, for no other reason than to punish them, after accusing them of having too much money. What do you think they will do, once they have less money? They will raise prices to their customers, hire fewer employees, and pay those employees less.

When you over regulate businesses, they will open locations in Mexico, India, china, etc... Who does that help? It sure as hell does not "benefit lower income folks."

Does it benefit you and me in any damn way at all, if Biden signs a bill passed by Democrats to increase taxes on corporations? Do you think your corporate boss will give you a raise, once Biden takes a millions more in new taxes out of your company's profits? Or do you think they will lay off employees in the US, and hire replacements to work in Mexico?

Old 08-14-2022, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Wage growth is well behind inflation. The non-working poor getting absolutely clobbered with 9% inflation and notably high food prices.
Well yeah, thank Biden and the policies of Democrats for that. We are seeing inflation and a recession, and the dems are doing the worst thing they could do, raising taxes on businesses. It's like they want to throw gas on the fire, speed along the economic collapse, increase inflation and strengthen the recession. The dems are insane.

Inflation was flat under Trump, and wages were rising. Wages cannot keep up with the 8% inflation under Biden, to be sure.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:08 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
1.1 million people who are happy to not be homeless. How many jobs have your created? Now enjoy your trickle.
I owned (or was prominent share holder) of 3 different businesses in the medical device sector. Hard to say how many jobs I solely created as I had partners/other investors, but maybe 1000+ is probable, especially if you count the distributors!

Quote:
Regulation doesn’t solve laziness or whining, two things society is very good at when they claim “life is unfair.”
Laziness and whining is not the issue, corruption and rigging the rules is!

Quote:
I would suggest you get a job
I'm retired. Retired at 53. I currently primarily live in Cap d'Ail (French Riviera) but have homes in Miami Beach and a lodge in Switzerland. I'm writing this from French Polynesia on a 3 week vacation.

You can make this about me, but you will lose.

Last edited by AfricanSunset; 08-14-2022 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-14-2022, 09:15 PM

3,113 posts, read 937,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
Europe is not getting richer, the European economy hasn’t grown against inflation for a very long time. Things are very bureaucratic and litigious in Europe. If you’re a motivated person it’s a lot easier to accumulate wealth in the US. The best way to limit politicians rigging the rules is to simply shrink the government and/or decentralize it so they have less power to dole out. When the government makes up half the economy of course it will be corrupted. Company’s will spend more time lobbying than they will competing for market share by offering new, cheaper, better products and services.
The USA is falling against Europe for quite some time.

In the 70s/80s, the USA had a middle class that faraway had a better standard of living. Now, not at all. Australia probably has the best middle class now.

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

USA and Germany are basically tied.

But in reality, GDP per capita (PPP) tells only part of the picture. Europeans generally work less for this similar GDP per capita, have healthcare, and more paid vacation time. They also don't worry about paying for college education! As a result they live longer, despite Americans spending more on healthcare (this includes government expenditure in both cases).

I go back and forth from Cap d'Ail and Miami. I'm intimately familiar with both places.

It's true that Europe is more bureaucratic - there is a joke, you're missing just one piece of paper! But overall, I see how the middle class lives in both places.

Old 08-15-2022, 12:28 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,329,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The USA is falling against Europe for quite some time.

In the 70s/80s, the USA had a middle class that faraway had a better standard of living. Now, not at all. Australia probably has the best middle class now.

https://www.worldometers.info/gdp/gdp-per-capita/

USA and Germany are basically tied.

But in reality, GDP per capita (PPP) tells only part of the picture. Europeans generally work less for this similar GDP per capita, have healthcare, and more paid vacation time. They also don't worry about paying for college education! As a result they live longer, despite Americans spending more on healthcare (this includes government expenditure in both cases).

I go back and forth from Cap d'Ail and Miami. I'm intimately familiar with both places.

It's true that Europe is more bureaucratic - there is a joke, you're missing just one piece of paper! But overall, I see how the middle class lives in both places.
You are preaching to the choir with me my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies