Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 08:05 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times

Advertisements

Things do trickle down. If the rich didn't embrace new technology it wouldn't hit that level where it can scale well and come down in price for a much longer period of time. There are countless example of this through our history where it was the rich that drove adoption of a new technology. Electricity, telephones, you name the invention...

The real danger is when the rich start hoarding assets that price the middle class out of the system, such as they've done with real estate. These companies have billions to throw around and often take on lines of credit also. Our politicians will do nothing to stop it. Even individuals who own "a dozen" houses contribute to the problem. Realtors in our town are part of the problem. They often end up buying many of the houses they list and turning them into rentals as side businesses.

Road bikes are a good modern example of where the tech trickles down. High end vehicles also, such as teslas. There are definitely diminishing returns to spending more. At the price points we are talking about people mostly purchase because they have a passion for what they are purchasing. That, and their disposable income is often so high that price doesn't worry them.

Things trickle up. Things trickle down. Top and bottom suck from the middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 08:37 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The Dems seem to think they should be in charge of the trickling down by stealing from the rich at a higher rate so they can afford benefits to the poor, but that doesn’t work, either. The rich will get accountants and lawyers to find loopholes and legit tax shelters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Well the Democrats have a trickle down theory also……..
…….ever increasing taxes and spending make your earnings that you get to keep trickle down to nothing.
This is a good point.

Liberals agree in trickle down when they call for the rich to pay more taxes... and then they give it to the poor. In other words, they want to be the ones that control the spigot - but in the end, the trickle down from the government does not produce any fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I never knew, until now, that JFK was a trickle down Republican:

https://time.com/4511870/john-f-kenn...an-tax-policy/

https://www.npr.org/2013/11/12/24477...ower-tax-rates

https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/lets-...side-tax-cuts/

Or, as he said, "A rising tide lifts all boats".

From your last link...

In the video above from August 13, 1962, when the highest marginal individual income tax rate was 91% and the highest marginal corporate tax rate was 52%, early supply-sider President John F. Kennedy announced his plan to introduce permanent, across-the-board tax cuts for both individuals and corporations. Kennedy argued that both “logic and equity” demanded tax relief for Americans, and that the dollars released from taxation would create new jobs, new salaries, and spur economic growth and an expanding American economy, thereby creating more tax revenues.

This is the fruit that comes from trickle down economics... it brings fruit and life - jobs and growth are created. The nation's economy expands.

When the government siphons the water supply and they control the trickle down, you get COVID stimulus money programs... and programs to help with rent where the government gives away free money to the poor. No jobs are created. No growth in the economy is experienced. In the long term, it's death to the nation's economy.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 08-07-2022 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-07-2022, 08:50 AM

27,545 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked.

If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
Something has happened to the demographics of the United States since 1980.

I’m sure we all know what that is.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:53 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The original name was "horses and sparrows" theory. If you feed your horses well, the sparrows get fatter. Just - don't think too much over what the sparrows have to actually eat.
It's not an economic theory. What you described is a joke by will Rogers. Talk about getting played

Anyone with a minimal amount of economic knowledge understands that what is described as trickle down is like saying 1+1=40

We the people see the results right away when companies are taxed less. In good times, companies have more money to hire and expand. In down times they use it to retain employees since the cost of training is high. Research and development is usually the first to go but it isn't dumped when companies have more money because they are taxed less.

Your economic source is the same source that didn't see the biggest collapse since the Great Depression coming.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:01 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
has the idea of throwing the poor a bone ever worked? how many poor people win the lottery and end up broke again after a few years? spoiler alert, all of them. poverty, in most cases, is nothing more than the collaboration of poor choices.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:04 AM

6,776 posts, read 9,332,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
Things do trickle down. If the rich didn't embrace new technology it wouldn't hit that level where it can scale well and come down in price for a much longer period of time. There are countless example of this through our history where it was the rich that drove adoption of a new technology. Electricity, telephones, you name the invention...

The real danger is when the rich start hoarding assets that price the middle class out of the system, such as they've done with real estate. These companies have billions to throw around and often take on lines of credit also. Our politicians will do nothing to stop it. Even individuals who own "a dozen" houses contribute to the problem. Realtors in our town are part of the problem. They often end up buying many of the houses they list and turning them into rentals as side businesses.

Road bikes are a good modern example of where the tech trickles down. High end vehicles also, such as teslas. There are definitely diminishing returns to spending more. At the price points we are talking about people mostly purchase because they have a passion for what they are purchasing. That, and their disposable income is often so high that price doesn't worry them.

Things trickle up. Things trickle down. Top and bottom suck from the middle.
Yep, generally agree.

Over the years, I’ve been promoted at my job, have changed jobs, and I’m at a point in life where my basic needs are met, I’ve got savings, and I can afford to do more than I did when I was just starting out early in my career. A Democrat would tell me that I didn’t work hard and that I was just “lucky” of course, but I know better than that.

With that said, I currently employ a personal trainer and a music teacher, as I’m learning a new instrument. I sometimes attend other fitness classes, like Pilates. I paid a landscaping company to landscape my yard this year, after getting some money back from my tax return due to the credit for installing solar panels. I also bought a small packraft from a local company that makes them in the US and these are a couple hundred dollars.

Yes, this is nice. However, I wouldn’t be doing these things if I was poor, as I would still be prioritizing basic needs. Totally agree that there are problems in general (like the real estate example you mention, although unfortunate, it’s not illegal for people to buy up lots of property) but to say (YOU aren’t saying this, but in general) that nothing ever ‘trickles down’ is a bit extreme.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:05 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
I'd say Trickle Down works. I have never been offered a job from a poor person.

I live in an area that is heavily dependent on the tourism industry and the rich people that move here have helped to feed the Real Estate agent that sells them the property, the mortgage writer, the attorney, the carpenters, the electricians, the plumbers, the landscapers, the pool guys. The well to do also have new cars that helps the people at the dealerships. They have boats that keep the marina and the fishing shops in business. They might even have airplanes that keep many at the airports happy. They patronize the Arts be it a gallery or a playhouse. The well to do support local business. Let's also not forget that the rich pay piles of taxes on their big houses to the towns they live in.

If all that isn't an example of Trickle Down I do not know what is.

I guess the people that complain the most that Trickle Down doesn't work are the ones that would instead of being handed an opportunity by the rich would rather receive a hand out from them?

Old 08-07-2022, 09:18 AM

2,953 posts, read 992,084 times
Quote:
The benefits of throwing the elite/rich a bone in the hopes that that will cause a domino effect of the less fortunate benefitting hasn't exactly worked. The Rich continue to hoard and the broke continue to stay broke. If this idea works than why does the income gap continue to widened?
All this class warrior zero-sum game garbage. Implicit in your hack timeless peasant's gripe is income redistribution. Go ahead and say 'equity'. Do it. I dare you ... do it. You know you think that way.

People who make money don't owe you ANY of it. If they want to stuff it under the bed then that's their right and that right is what keeps an economy and markets free. This principle underpins the engine that has made this country very prosperous. If you think you're oppressed and poor go on a mission around the world to find your economic equity Shangri La. When the wealthy invest their profits they help maintain a free market that whether you understand it or not is the means by which companies obtain capital to grow, become more successful and employ more people. Yes having a free investment market does result in a veneer of Vegas on top of it but ultimately that's a natural outgrowth of there being a freely traded pool of shareholder ownership that provides the motivation to invest in the growth of business.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:22 AM

4,653 posts, read 1,947,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"I should know, I own one". Good for you, and as long as you are paying your fair share, you are to be congratulated. However, those who do not pay their fair share, should be taxed to the point it hurts.
What is "your fair share" this is an idiotic mantra said by Dems for years but never defined. They never define it because then it can be analyzed, debated and shown how it will effect so many in the middle class. Always remember almost 50% of people dont pay anything in Federal Taxes. What of their fair share. Remember millions of people not only dont pay anything they get more back each year then they actually pay in due to Earned Income Credits. What about their fair share. Lets truly look at the tax system and make sure EVERYBODY is paying something. Too many completly ignore Government waste and spending because they only benefit from the Spending and Never have to sacrifice to pay for it. Although the truly delusional complain that "its their money" even if they never are paying a dime.

It is so easy to say spend more on Social Welfare, spend more on Schools, spend more on Whatever, when it's somebody else's money you are spending. If we all had to open up our wallets to pay for all Federal Government Spending We all as a Nation might pay a little bit better attention of what we spend it on.

Old 08-07-2022, 10:39 AM

26,463 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Obama had more trickle down economics than Regan.

QE is a variation of trickle down and every single fed pick Obama made bug or small was for a QE pusher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies