Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 11:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Then why do Dems not want it banned?
Because the language in the bills was too vague. But we digress.

I would think it would be better to have the guns more accessible than in a safe in one spot in the school. Someone suggested that having the officers armed would be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Police typically have access to all sorts of weapons that could be utilized effectively against a shooter armed with a high-capacity rifle. There's no particular need I see to actually store one of those in the school itself. Plus, the fact they've put them in a safe, stored in some room somewhere on site, makes the action even more bizarre. What if a shooter finds out where the safe is, then goes to that room and shoots everyone there, maybe finds out a way to open the safe and - voila! - now he's got an additional AR-15 he can use to shoot everyone up with.

There's just so much that can go wrong with that.
Right. In Uvalde they couldn't even find keys to the door which it turned out they didn't need for like an hour.

In large districts who's to say if the first LEO to show up know how to find the gun and unlock it.

What if the shooter is blocking their path to the gun. Courage is one thing. A courageous cop getting mowed down trying to get to a gun is useless to the kids.

If this is the best we can do, might as well move on to arming the kids themselves. Maybe the safety patrol.......beef that up and they can take turns roaming the halls.

It's pretty clear we aren't going to get serious about this until parents of victimized children start authorizing the release of the crime scene photos Emmett Till style. I predict that happening soon.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,189,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Because the language in the bills was too vague. But we digress.

I would think it would be better to have the guns more accessible than in a safe in one spot in the school. Someone suggested that having the officers armed would be better.
Nah, they simply don’t want it banned. After all, if it doesn’t exist there’s no reason to fight banning it. Folks can teach it at home if they want to.

I’d definitely want the officer armed with the ability to shoot to kill violent criminals.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:20 PM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

If this is the best we can do, might as well move on to arming the kids themselves. Maybe the safety patrol.......beef that up and they can take turns roaming the halls.
You say this mockingly, but Dad and most of his classmates went to school with pistols on their hips and later with rifles in their cars/trucks. As long as politicians and many Americans ignore the culture of violence, violence will only escalate.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:07 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,434,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
You say this mockingly, but Dad and most of his classmates went to school with pistols on their hips and later with rifles in their cars/trucks. As long as politicians and many Americans ignore the culture of violence, violence will only escalate.
With taking out a school shooter in mind?

I get it. I grew up with rural grandparents who kept a shot gun standing in their bedroom corner and a handgun behind a picture frame on the nightstand.

Seven cousins visiting them all the time and we all knew not to touch the guns and never did.

That was a different world, a different time, a different way that kids were raised.

Being proactive is not an American strong suit imo. We aren't going to do the hard things until the pictures shock us to action.

Old 08-08-2022, 12:25 AM

Quote:

I get it. I grew up with rural grandparents who kept a shot gun standing in their bedroom corner and a handgun behind a picture frame on the nightstand.

Seven cousins visiting them all the time and we all knew not to touch the guns and never did.

That was a different world, a different time, a different way that kids were raised.

Being proactive is not an American strong suit imo. We aren't going to do the hard things until the pictures shock us to action.
As you say, it’s a different world. Unfortunately, school shooters are a huge problem today.

Having armed guard/s with firearms is a great way to be proactive. Hopefully these violent criminals realize there’s going to be consequences to trying to enter the school. Dead students has already shocked us into action. It’s why these precautions are being taken.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:08 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times
Quote:

Absolutely not. That was not the culture that existed in his day, or even my youth. But guns are the problem, not culture.

Perhaps addressing the root cause would be more effective.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
Absolutely not. That was not the culture that existed in his day, or even my youth. But guns are the problem, not culture.

Perhaps addressing the root cause would be more effective.

Old 08-08-2022, 04:07 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
What could go wrong?
A crazy lefty might hyperventilate?

Old 08-08-2022, 04:36 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
None of those things were being taught in any school.
Yes they are, My grandkids came home talking about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies