Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 02:53 PM

1,134 posts, read 404,517 times

Advertisements

I know two people who left Southern California for Montana, primarily because of the CA politics. There was a secondary reason related to a couple relatives in Montana but politics was the main driver for leaving. They both are VERY conservative and supported Trump during his campaign from up there. They had plenty of money with multiple properties in Malibu which they owned for many years and sold for huge profits.

I'm in Southern California, down the coast from Malibu. Montana is fabulous during the Summer, especially Western Montana IF there are no forest fires. And there are plenty of fires up there in the Summer. Some years worse than others. The Winters are long and cold. Nice place to visit in the Spring or Summer but I wouldn't want to live there.

I was surprised they left but they are very political and eventually had enough of California. They endured for quite a while though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 02:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,159,880 times
I plan on retiring in Asia for the social harmony. Been vacationing there for 20 years. I hop off the plane and my soul is able to relax as a result of leaving all the division here in the States. It's beyond calming to get away from it.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:21 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
i moved from blue to red. it’s amazing not being micromanaged, nickled and dimed, able to use bags when buying groceries, having plastic straws, not having to deal with inefficient DMV, not having to get my car inspected, able to buy whatever gun I want without pleading to some desk cop, able to carry pepper spray/tasers, not having nasty school administrations, not having 12k property taxes, not having toll roads, dumb laws such as identifying teenage drivers via license plate sticker,no state income tax, etc. i could go on and on.

Liberals say “I don’t mind paying a little bit more if it helps so-and-so”

No I do mind. stay out of my state
I could have wrote the same thing!!!

Old 08-09-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Exactly. I had the misfortune to be born and raised in one of the most authoritarian, regressive, backwards, Communist-leaning states in the nation (New York). Getting away from that kind of totalitarian background and moving to a free state (Idaho) was incredibly liberating and eye opening. People in those backwards "blue" states don't realize just how bad they are until they experience life in a free state. The freedom and respect for civil rights you have in free states vs blue states is dramatic.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I remember AZ used to be solidly red, I think it's more purple these days. I've been wanting to get out of CA for a long time now. I've always wanted to go to AZ. I'm afraid by the time I'll be able to move there the lefties will have ruined it. Housing costs there are starting to rise, even before all of the inflation and reckless spending the Dimrods are pulling.

Phoenix and Vegas are areas that over the years a whole lot of Californians have moved to.

People running this state are absolutely clueless about how the middle class thinks. More and more middle class people are leaving the state.

This place is going to end up being a rich/poor people state, damn near there now as it is.
Well we need people like you to help Arizona turn from purple back to red.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:10 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, all I can say is that I am a Florida native, born and bred, and there is NO OTHER state I would rather be, especially in these times. True, I am a bit dismayed by all the people moving here to my paradise, but I can't blame them. Florida is basically a "purple" state, which has lately turned a bit more red due to the influx of people escaping from their hell-holes.

I thank my lucky stars every day for what my husband and I have here. Yes, summers are hot, but we despise any cold weather, and we get to go to the beach which is always nice! Florida is beautiful, and we have the BEST governor in the country and frankly the best ever! Thank God for common sense!
Completely agree. I start missing the snow of when we lived in WI (I know, it’s whackadoodle) or the falls in north Georgia but truly, I have come to love it here. The past two years taught me to love it even though the heat REALLY can be miserable.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:25 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't think I'd move to match my political views because no place actually matches my political views. As long as I can find peace in my day to day life I'll stay somewhere in my home state. If that ever changes and life becomes unbearable I'll see myself out. BUT I REALLY HATE MOVING
I feel this. This country is so conservative overall, it would be hard to find a good match. I've lived in some places that are considered pretty liberal (especially by people on this board), such as Burlington VT, Madison WI, and Boston. They're all decidely moderate from an overall western political spectrum viewpoint. Still, places like that, while expensive due to their high quality of life and cultural offerings, and protections of civil rights and freedoms, probably offer the best options for me when I retire. Or, someplace similar or just outside of one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies