Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 4,645,120 times

Advertisements

They probably do need to hire agents. How many? I don't know but hiring more isn't a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 11:33 AM

9,397 posts, read 9,678,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Actually, it should just be called "propaganda"

I looked it up, and:
1. The new bill seeks to spend about $80B over the next 10 years
2. It is assumed it would be to hire some 87k IRS agents
3. Democrats say the IRS investment is needed to ensure that corporations and wealthier Americans pay what they owe in taxes.

I just googled "has the us added IRS agents"
This was the first hit: https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-new...ct-irs-agents/
^This is a source that just had mass resignations because staff felt they were being pushed to be too "right biased", so it's not a liberal perspective I'm quoting.

This just another example of people writing their own opinion as fact to support an agenda of propaganda.

FACT is that not a single one of those 87k agents has been added. They plan to, they hope to, but it hasn't happened, and may never happen.

It also cracks me up why people who are supposed to be in the party of law are so against having people to crackdown on those who break the law. Yeah, I get it, if you support Trump, you kinda have to be against enforcement, but it's funny they are so vocal about it. I also get that people are against IRS overreach, but surely you agree that people should pay their legal taxes, and "if you don't like the law, change it". Or does that only apply to immigrants, people of color, poor people and LGBTQs?
You probably have forgotten how the IRS targeted political opponents to President Obama. That's why there is concern when the same party wants to increase the number of agents.

https://apnews.com/article/9d2d5e28d...34aee66f54353a

Old 08-09-2022, 11:37 AM

12,978 posts, read 7,357,864 times
Just wish that I can find a tax preparer that is a little younger than I am (72).
Past preparer was a classmate. Then he sold his practice to someone else is a year older than we are
We got our papers together by mid March. Paid a substantial estimated tax (sold property 2021). Only got the completed 2021 tax prep in the first of Aug; paid more in taxes and INTEREST. Our old classmate/preparer was contracted to complete the tax prep.
I am honestly worried that I may have to go back to doing my own taxes.

I don't begrudge paying taxes. Paying [taxes] is a lot better than not paying taxes [btdt].
YTMV

Old 08-09-2022, 11:42 AM

21,693 posts, read 9,260,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
You probably have forgotten how the IRS targeted political opponents to President Obama. That's why there is concern when the same party wants to increase the number of agents.

https://apnews.com/article/9d2d5e28d...34aee66f54353a
They don't care. If the IRS or the FBI or the DOJ goes after Republicans, it's all good with them.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:44 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,368,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Better to enforce current tax law than add new taxes, no?
oh,...now the fascist liberals want to do that...but for 50 years its been add a new law ontop of old laws, and the repeat

Old 08-09-2022, 12:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
They have less than a third of those numbers at the border.

The IRS employee's union gave $600k to Democrats.

They are going to go after small business owners. Thoughts?
The National Treasury Employees Union PAC donated $591,000 to federal Democrat candidates in the 2019-20 cycle. Of this, $10,000 went to the Biden campaign. Most public unions have historically favored Democrats.

Nearly half of the proposed new IRS hires are intended to be employees to expedite refunds.

The other half is for audits. As I understand it, most audits are random, computer- generated. High income earners, individuals and corporate, with very complex returns are more likely to be audited, regardless of party in power.

According to this link, $3.09 trillion in tax fraud occurred between 2001-10.

https://spendmenot.com/blog/tax-evasion-statistics/

In 2019, the IRS caught 443,000 fraudulent tax returns and opened 1500 investigations. In 2020, 593 were sentenced for prior tax crimes.

Those who keep records and don’t cheat, have nothing to be worried about.

We the people pay more for nearly everything because of fraud. Insurance fraud is a common white collar crime.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:05 PM

21,693 posts, read 9,260,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The National Treasury Employees Union PAC donated $591,000 to federal Democrat candidates in the 2019-20 cycle. Of this, $10,000 went to the Biden campaign. Most public unions have historically favored Democrats.

Nearly half of the proposed new IRS hires are intended to be employees to expedite refunds.

The other half is for audits. As I understand it, most audits are random, computer- generated. High income earners, individuals and corporate, with very complex returns are more likely to be audited, regardless of party in power.

According to this link, $3.09 trillion in tax fraud occurred between 2001-10.

https://spendmenot.com/blog/tax-evasion-statistics/

In 2019, the IRS caught 443,000 fraudulent tax returns and opened 1500 investigations. In 2020, 593 were sentenced for prior tax crimes.

Those who keep records and don’t cheat, have nothing to be worried about.

We the people pay more for nearly everything because of fraud. Insurance fraud is a common white collar crime.
How much money did they donate to Republicans?

Old 08-09-2022, 12:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,474,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Just wish that I can find a tax preparer that is a little younger than I am (72).
Past preparer was a classmate. Then he sold his practice to someone else is a year older than we are
We got our papers together by mid March. Paid a substantial estimated tax (sold property 2021). Only got the completed 2021 tax prep in the first of Aug; paid more in taxes and INTEREST. Our old classmate/preparer was contracted to complete the tax prep.
I am honestly worried that I may have to go back to doing my own taxes.

I don't begrudge paying taxes. Paying [taxes] is a lot better than not paying taxes [btdt].
YTMV
Every rock solid tax preparer I know is 72 or older.

Had a gathering on 4/17 this year that included a long time tax preparer, in his 70’s. To say his phone was blowing up, is an understatement. His wife said, it’s the same thing every year. People tend to wait till the last minute and then show with boxes of receipts and papers in no particular order. Their filings are not particularly complicated. It’s all about wading through the paper. He files for extensions and tackles on a FIFO basis.

When the late filing is complete, refunds take months.

We keep good records. We do our own taxes in early February and federal and state refunds are deposited within a week. I have zero concern about being audited.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:13 PM

9,397 posts, read 9,678,998 times
So now the Dems have weaponized the FBI, CIA, IRS and EPA.

What's next?

Old 08-09-2022, 12:16 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,498,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
They are going to go after anyone or anything that doesn't toe the line for their authoritarian collectivist Utopia
Your evidence of this being.... nothing.

I swear some of you guys have a persecution complex bigger than the solar system. If these agents are actually hired they might be working for a GOP president who picks the person who runs the IRS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies