Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 08:16 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I'm not gonna shed any tears over a CEO having little job security for the following reasons:

1. Cushy job, no physically taxing conditions or health hazards (such s toxins or contaminants and inappropriate protection.

2. Their job is essentially to prey on weak powerless workers and exploit them for as little money as possible so other rich stockholders can turn a profit.

3. They make in a year enough for a frugal person to live on in their life.

Yes this doesn't fit every CEO and I'm sure every right wing, free market advocate has an anecdotal example of how we should thank God every day we are blessed with their presence, but I've yet to see a good, solid example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Ohh look.. another boo hoo hoo.. CEO's are making more then me because I'm to darn lazy to start my own company or become CEO of another company.
Ah yes any worker who's not a boss is too lazy. Go tell that to a doctor, or a teacher. Go work a real blue collar job for a while.

Ever heard the saying too many cooks spoil the pot? Not everyone can be an employer and not everyone wants to be. Why should a hardworking person be denied the ability to afford to own a place of their own (which would you rather have, a country of house owners or renters?) and a decent standard of living.

I'm fine with a CEO making a million or ten a year. If they can make their company money. If they try to get their employees to take a paycut, then they should also sacrifice as well to show commitment.

Airline Executives' Rich Bonuses Rile Pilots Union : NPR

This is the same airline that just instituted $15 a bag check in, so these CEOs make a lot of money by getting their workers to make sacrifices, then pass on what could be argued as the cost of their ridiculous compensation to the consumer. (money needs to come from somewhere to drive up stocks and their salaries)

When I see this happening with CEO compensation, I have no problem voting for someone who wants to up dividends taxes, especially to pay for repair on outdated infrastructure. I know a lot of other people that feel the same way.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:35 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Ah yes any worker who's not a boss is too lazy. Go tell that to a doctor, or a teacher. Go work a real blue collar job for a while.
Oohh, So now this website is full of doctors or teachers crying over CEO's and their pay?

Do you realise there are 25,000,000 CEO's in this country? Not all of them make tens of millions a year, and many of them work very hard day to day. Its laughable to see people cry about the lack of work CEO's have to do daily.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Airline Executives' Rich Bonuses Rile Pilots Union : NPR

This is the same airline that just instituted $15 a bag check in, so these CEOs make a lot of money by getting their workers to make sacrifices, then pass on what could be argued as the cost of their ridiculous compensation to the consumer. (money needs to come from somewhere to drive up stocks and their salaries)
And this is the same airline that people CHOOSE to take, and CHOOSE to pay $15 a bag.. boo hoo hoo.. I'm getting billed $15 to check a bag so the CEO can make more money.. I'd rather cry about getting billed instead of choosing another airline.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
And this is the same airline that people CHOOSE to take, and CHOOSE to pay $15 a bag.. boo hoo hoo.. I'm getting billed $15 to check a bag so the CEO can make more money.. I'd rather cry about getting billed instead of choosing another airline.
Ah yes people choose to fly the airline....... 6 months ago. Now, surprise surprise another fee.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Oohh, So now this website is full of doctors or teachers crying over CEO's and their pay?

Do you realise there are 25,000,000 CEO's in this country? Not all of them make tens of millions a year, and many of them work very hard day to day. Its laughable to see people cry about the lack of work CEO's have to do daily.
Where do you get that number? That means 1 in every 12 people is a CEO. Management perhaps, but not a Chief Executive Officer. I find that number a bit fishy.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM

769 posts, read 2,231,850 times
This is a good thread. And I applaud the Frenchmen for making sense. But why are people surprised by this. High-ranking employees in huge corporations always snatch profits from their companies. The economy is not always the only reason why a companies profits dwindle. Sometimes it is usually the greed of the corporations.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:53 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
thats our system winner take all.
rugged individualism gone wild.
of course so many of us that complain about mean streets are helping daily
to make those streets mean.
not much "we" in me 1st ism huh?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by What! View Post
This is a good thread. And I applaud the Frenchmen for making sense. But why are people surprised by this. High-ranking employees in huge corporations always snatch profits from their companies. The economy is not always the only reason why a companies profits dwindle. Sometimes it is usually the greed of the corporations.
I'm not at all surprised. I'm disappointed, and I wish we could do better. Like Huckleberry3911948 said though, there's not much "we" in America. Only when the rich want us to go die in a war or at the twin towers is there a "we".

Old 05-25-2008, 10:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
One mistake by an employee that would cost the company any money and they’re fired. A CEO continues to destroy a company and stockholders with wrong decisions and profiteering and they allow him to leave with a big severance package. I call it white collar crime not capitalists.
Ohh I most whole heartedly agree! However, when laws are written and enforced by new age republicans since reagan... we'll redefine crime so we can steal!!! If it weren't so sickening I'd laugh harder.

These are not republicans true to party principles. they're freaks.
body snatchers came and stole republican party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies