Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 09:48 PM

158 posts, read 43,727 times

Advertisements

soros and guys like him

Old 08-12-2022, 11:04 PM

3,736 posts, read 1,433,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Like many ( if not all ) political ideologies , tracing the roots of wokeism could very well be the subject of several lengthy tomes , and is thus not well suited for the confines of a forum post .

That said one of its little mentioned ideological forefathers is ( IMO ) cultural relativism as expressed by the Boasian school of anthropology , a topic that Dinesh D'Souza did a rather decent write up of in his book entitled " The End of Racism " .

As for woke ideology stemming from WASP culture , IMHO it's not so much that it stems from it , but that certain aspects of said culture ( such as its emphasis on politeness ) inadvertently provide a rather fertile ground for woke ideology to grow .

Take for instance the still observable American cultural custom of being nice to other people , which while definitely an admirable tendency in many ways , has been twisted by woke activists to spread the false idea that ( f.ex ) not using specific terms said activists demand one use constitutes disrespect towards certain demographic groups they claim to champion , a fallacy which many Americans have unfortunately swallowed wholesale due in part to the ingrained cultural practice of wanting to be nice to other people .

This contrasts sharply with say East Central Europe , where ( very paradoxically ) in spite of the existence of more restrictive freedom of speech laws , the similarly deeply ingrained cultural practice of being blunt to the point of out and out rudeness results in a much less woke environment , due to the enormous obstacle aforementioned cultural practice puts in the way of being politically correct .

Another deeply ingrained " Anglo " cultural practice that greatly aids the influence of woke ideology in the States is the tendency towards trusting the media ( obviously a major institution of wokeness ) , which probably ties in somewhere to the general Protestant cultural tendency towards deferring to the authority of the written word .

Then again it probably bears repeating that Protestantism in East Central Europe has traditionally had a much more rebellious character to it than in Anglo countries , as evidenced by the activities of Hussite rebels or Calvinist kuruc revolutionaries , resulting in a sort of inversion of the " Rum , Romanism and Rebellion " slogan that was applied to Catholics in the USA .

In short Anglo culture tends to favor " ordered " as opposed to " anarchic " liberty , many aspects of which ( unfortunately ) provide fecund soil for the influence of woke ideology to spread , but I'll leave it at that for now lest I overreach the range of this issue at hand .
Agreed.

Old 08-12-2022, 11:22 PM

37,139 posts, read 19,115,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Woke people would certainly think *they* are on the right side of history. So did the Marxists. And the Fascists. And the you know what in Germany (avoiding Godwin's law here). So did Mao. And even the Confederates in 1860. So did... well, you get the point.

History is history. There is no right side of history. There is no long arc towards whatever. There is just history. And people. And people have a history of going through episodic purification phases in quest of some golden ideal, and in all such episodes, a great deal was destroyed. Progress, if we call it such, always exacts a price.

I will agree much of modern wokery is driven by the persistent and complicated role of African American in American history and the failures surrounding their complex relationship with American society. But the overall woke movement has expanded to take in other topics. Pronouns. Dubious gender ideology. Ukraine. Any movement that has a flag associated with it.
From your description, is sounds like "woke" is currently used as a dismissive pejorative for anybody who is different from you because it's easier than trying to understand why they are who they are.

Old 08-13-2022, 01:59 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,594,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
My theory is that wokeism is Ronald Reagan's fault because he let a bunch of lunatics out of mental hospitals, who subsequently procreated and produced the current batch of bat crap insane woke idiots.
No, no, no, Reagan was the last great Republican president. Shutting down nuthouses was even going on in the red states. No wonder why. Too many mentally ill people were killing themselves in them. In those awful places, all the non-stop screaming, yelling, crying and moaning could drive the schizophrenics to suicide via self-hanging. A pair of pants could be fashioned to accomplish doing that. Fortunately, advances in mental health care drug therapy made institutionalization considerably less necessary.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-13-2022 at 02:21 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The entire country, free market and capitalism is mostly based on Anglo Saxon Protestantism. I'm Protestant and Anglo Saxon (WASP), and I can tell you straight up without watching anything that Woke Ideology is the complete opposing side. The whole idea of Wokeism is Marxist. Its created to end free speech, free will, rewrite history to destroy the United States and freedom to install a totalitarian regime.

If you really want to go deep down the rabbit hole to the spiritual side, Marxism and wokeism which is an agent of it, has demonic roots, really to install the anti-Christ.
What an all-out absurd viewpoint! Seriously, just what loony far right website has indoctrinated you into believing such nonsense? Wokeism simply is mainly about caring too much about racism and gave rise to CRT. It makes many white conservatives uncomfortable. Wokesim most certainly has nothing to do with Marx or Marxism, since he was a racist!

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-13-2022 at 02:39 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 02:53 AM

33,516 posts, read 18,106,565 times
Wokeism came from Communists.

The Communists who want to separate us , indoctrinate us and it is far reaching to destroy this nation. A house divided cannot stand. Communism( Marxism) has been in the underbelly of America for decades now. Communists caused the upheaval in the 1970's during the Vietnam War as they permeated the colleges with hate America rebellious spirit that easily attracted to this kind of anti-anything teens and felt they need for a cause. Oh, many of them actually thought they were good Americans back then but they were actually anti-American. That war was JFK's push back to Communism and the Communists had to have a voice against anything anti-Communist.

That reasoning that the lefties hate Trump is not accurate at all. It is not the hate for the man. Trump could be anybody. It is the patriotism, the pro Constitution, the stand of putting America's interests first and We The People .

Don't ever think it is hate for Trump the man. It is the hate for America plain and simple. Trump is only the one who has voiced what many Americans feel with jobs being sent over seas, opened borders for years, a sense that neither party was representing them at all. It was all those Americans who knew this country was going in a doomed direction.

Many are fooled today. Way too many are fooled and know nothing about what is really taking place here today. It is the tearing down of America and its basic fundamentals of freedom for all, rights of each individual, and this is what the Communists are fighting against. This is the big threat to their power . They must crush patriotism, love for country, the idea that Americans come first, and above all they want to rule us because that is what Communism (MARXISM) is all about.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The entire country, free market and capitalism is mostly based on Anglo Saxon Protestantism. I'm Protestant and Anglo Saxon (WASP), and I can tell you straight up without watching anything that Woke Ideology is the complete opposing side. The whole idea of Wokeism is Marxist. Its created to end free speech, free will, rewrite history to destroy the United States and freedom to install a totalitarian regime.

If you really want to go deep down the rabbit hole to the spiritual side, Marxism and wokeism which is an agent of it, has demonic roots, really to install the anti-Christ.
Hit the nail on the head!

Old 08-13-2022, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
Like many ( if not all ) political ideologies , tracing the roots of wokeism could very well be the subject of several lengthy tomes , and is thus not well suited for the confines of a forum post .

That said one of its little mentioned ideological forefathers is ( IMO ) cultural relativism as expressed by the Boasian school of anthropology , a topic that Dinesh D'Souza did a rather decent write up of in his book entitled " The End of Racism " .

As for woke ideology stemming from WASP culture , IMHO it's not so much that it stems from it , but that certain aspects of said culture ( such as its emphasis on politeness ) inadvertently provide a rather fertile ground for woke ideology to grow .

Take for instance the still observable American cultural custom of being nice to other people , which while definitely an admirable tendency in many ways , has been twisted by woke activists to spread the false idea that ( f.ex ) not using specific terms said activists demand one use constitutes disrespect towards certain demographic groups they claim to champion , a fallacy which many Americans have unfortunately swallowed wholesale due in part to the ingrained cultural practice of wanting to be nice to other people .

This contrasts sharply with say East Central Europe , where ( very paradoxically ) in spite of the existence of more restrictive freedom of speech laws , the similarly deeply ingrained cultural practice of being blunt to the point of out and out rudeness results in a much less woke environment , due to the enormous obstacle aforementioned cultural practice puts in the way of being politically correct .

Another deeply ingrained " Anglo " cultural practice that greatly aids the influence of woke ideology in the States is the tendency towards trusting the media ( obviously a major institution of wokeness ) , which probably ties in somewhere to the general Protestant cultural tendency towards deferring to the authority of the written word .

Then again it probably bears repeating that Protestantism in East Central Europe has traditionally had a much more rebellious character to it than in Anglo countries , as evidenced by the activities of Hussite rebels or Calvinist kuruc revolutionaries , resulting in a sort of inversion of the " Rum , Romanism and Rebellion " slogan that was applied to Catholics in the USA .

In short Anglo culture tends to favor " ordered " as opposed to " anarchic " liberty , many aspects of which ( unfortunately ) provide fecund soil for the influence of woke ideology to spread , but I'll leave it at that for now lest I overreach the range of this issue at hand .
We can also declare that freedom gave birth to wokeism.. but freedom of what kind? Freedom can also be misused. Free to murder, free to destroy others , freedom to lie, freedom to cheat, freedom to deceive. I see all these freedoms especially freedom to destroy truth. We are a corrupt nation and have abused it to the point of no return because of the evil it has allowed.

We must weigh the fruit of what is done. Does it bring good or bad ? Is it rooted in hate? Is is good to have the freedom to walk into anyone's home and take what they will? Is it good to lie with half truths proven to be half truths? Should power over people be misused to benefit them only? Are the rulers over many working on behalf of those they rule over for their benefit or the masses? Is the fruit good? Is is sensible? Are the benefits better for all? These are the questions we must ask to be a civilized nation.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Wokeism came from Communists.

The Communists who want to separate us , indoctrinate us and it is far reaching to destroy this nation. A house divided cannot stand. Communism( Marxism) has been in the underbelly of America for decades now. Communists caused the upheaval in the 1970's during the Vietnam War as they permeated the colleges with hate America rebellious spirit that easily attracted to this kind of anti-anything teens and felt they need for a cause. Oh, many of them actually thought they were good Americans back then but they were actually anti-American. That war was JFK's push back to Communism and the Communists had to have a voice against anything anti-Communist.

That reasoning that the lefties hate Trump is not accurate at all. It is not the hate for the man. Trump could be anybody. It is the patriotism, the pro Constitution, the stand of putting America's interests first and We The People .

Don't ever think it is hate for Trump the man. It is the hate for America plain and simple. Trump is only the one who has voiced what many Americans feel with jobs being sent over seas, opened borders for years, a sense that neither party was representing them at all. It was all those Americans who knew this country was going in a doomed direction.

Many are fooled today. Way too many are fooled and know nothing about what is really taking place here today. It is the tearing down of America and its basic fundamentals of freedom for all, rights of each individual, and this is what the Communists are fighting against. This is the big threat to their power . They must crush patriotism, love for country, the idea that Americans come first, and above all they want to rule us because that is what Communism (MARXISM) is all about.
I read every word. Just more nonsense, but at least I can take it for entertainment, like I do the rantings from Alex Jones and Mark Adams.

Old 08-13-2022, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I read every word. Just more nonsense, but at least I can take it for entertainment, like I do the rantings from Alex Jones and Mark Adams.
I listen to neither. Many have come to this conclusion all on their own.. it is called thinking for oneself or reasoning ability. I am not programmed easily. I am a free thinker. Many of my own conclusions I hear months later for those who have not connected the dots yet.

Communism is very real.. it is not nonsense . Get in the real world. Fact is many who lived under Communism are the first to recognize it. I was told by my father when I asked as a child , what is Communism? By his description and I remember it well , I recognized the fact that Communism was permeating our country and the fruits of it are manifest daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.