Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If you want to improve teacher accountability, and remove tenure, increase parental accountability. No one is accepting blame for a problem to which all have contributed.

Again you want to reshuffle unsuccessful kids to successful schools like its a magic wand. Overload good schools to the breaking point. What happens when successful schools are full? Where is your solution then?

Expand the good schools, give teachers raises let the bad schools die
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 08:44 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Where do you get the teachers for the expansion of these good schools? Last I checked there aren't a lot of extra teachers to go around. Give good teachers raises? Yeah right, don't make me laugh.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
The Public School system is a mess in many parts of this country. To be sure - there are some excellent public schools as well. We should take a serious and hard look at what those excellent schools are doing and see if emulating them will work in specific geographic areas / states.

The "fixes" will not occur overnight - they will occur over many years

Getting rid of ineffective administrators, poorly performing teachers, bad school boards is a start.

Getting parents involved is certainly an issue - there is no one easy solution to solve this problem IMO - yet, many parents ARE involved - tapping their insights - their strengths may be of some assistance.

I agree that those schools that are not performing well need to be closed. Don't throw good money after bad schools. SHUT THEM DOWN.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:49 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Where do you get the teachers for the expansion of these good schools?
One of the first things you do is let the teachers know that they are there to teach - not be glorified babysitters.

Then - go into the community for teachers of specific subjects. For example, in Arizona this next school year, those who are in the Math and Science fields - not teachers - PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERTS, will be allowed to teach Math and Science. They will go through a basic 30 hour classroom course - but, why do they have to have a 4 year degree in teaching? They know the subject.

The "teachers" are there.

Old 05-26-2008, 08:56 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats the point that most liberals fail to understand. In order for vouchers to work the best that they can, they have to be available for both private, and public schools. Allow parents the choice to send their kids to whatever school they want.
In all the states that I know of that are using vouchers you can use them for private schools. I think you're confused.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,191,949 times
Yet one more thread of "right vs left", asserted in vast sweeping generalizations, gross inaccuracy, supported by the same level of confirmation bias that made Jim juice so popular in Guyana.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:00 AM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,181 times
Plenty of teachers here in Michigan. Anyway I think you would re-indoctrinate the teachers who lost jobs in the bad schools to the succesful ways of the good schools.

Without the protection of a union and under the threat of being fired of course

Quote:
Where do you get the teachers for the expansion of these good schools? Last I checked there aren't a lot of extra teachers to go around. Give good teachers raises? Yeah right, don't make me laugh.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:26 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Well I can state from 1st hand experience that almost all colleges and universities force at least one sociology class on students in order to earn a degree. Often times many courses in "arts and humanities" are necessary. The discipline of sociology is almost a word for word playbook of the modern democrat platform;
1.)blame whitey,
2.)make no moral judgments about anyone or anything, ever,
3.)blame whitey,
4.)there is no such thing as one culture being better then another,
5.)criminals are criminals because it's society's fault,
6.)blame whitey,
7.)everyone is equal except whitey,
8.)people can't succeed on their own, society has to change and distribute wealth equally in order for that to occur,
9.)Karl Marx is good,
10.)and, oh, yeah....blame whitey.

All of these things are taught in my sociology book and is what modern day liberalism is all about.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Well I can state from 1st hand experience that almost all colleges and universities force at least one sociology class on students in order to earn a degree. Often times many courses in "arts and humanities" are necessary. The discipline of sociology is almost a word for word playbook of the modern democrat platform;
1.)blame whitey,
3.)blame whitey,
6.)blame whitey,
8.)people can't succeed on their own, society has to change and distribute wealth equally in order for that to occur,
9.)Karl Marx is good,

All of these things are taught in my sociology book and is what modern day liberalism is all about.
Ever been on a college campus?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:36 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
1.)blame whitey,
3.)blame whitey,
6.)blame whitey,
9.)Karl Marx is good,

Sounds like you were a pretty horrible anthropology/sociology student if that's what you got out of it. I wouldn't go around boasting about your poor reading comprehension on forums if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies