Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 07:55 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,216,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
If you haven't figured it out yet Biden is being used to destroy the United States. No, you are not imagining this. This is Amerika under the Nazi beginnings.
Biden himself is a Trojan horse

Who is really running the country ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2022, 08:00 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Heat is privilege.

Can't have that.

Old 11-19-2022, 08:13 PM

30,135 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well they will just have to suck it up cause we have 7 years to reduce our carbon output by 50%

Biden promised our global leaders

At least these folks in the NE are lowering their carbon footprint since they cannot afford to keep their homes warm

Old 11-19-2022, 08:53 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
As we approach Thanksgiving, I always reread the journals of the Mayflower pilgrims, and then the westward ho conestoga wagons. We come from very hardy stock.

As a child in upstate New York, we were snowed in for a week or so with no power, well below freezing, and we made do by cuddling in beds in shared long johns. In Feb. 2021, in Central Texas we all were below freezing and many of us with no power and we made do.

Can we please reclaim our hardy tough brave ancestry? During the freeze in Texas I was reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's truthful story, and felt grateful for the comforts that we had even in the freeze.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:53 PM

6,359 posts, read 2,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What is typical, for heating bills for the entire winter in the northeast? In this article, the woman expected 1K in heating costs to take her through the majority of the winter, which I guess was much more than typical.

I actually would have thought heating a home in the northeast for a winter would be more than 1K.

It seems somewhat likely she doesn't have air conditioning costs, and so 1K per year is what she expects to pay for climate control in her home?

That's considerably less than Texans pay for climate control in their homes per year.
Does it matter what she pays? The fact is she will be paying about 45% more. Also, where in the world did you see that she doesn't have air conditioning, and even if she did or didn't what does that matter when we are talking about heating oil costs?

Quote:
As we approach Thanksgiving, I always reread the journals of the Mayflower pilgrims, and then the westward ho conestoga wagons. We come from very hardy stock.

As a child in upstate New York, we were snowed in for a week or so with no power, well below freezing, and we made do by cuddling in beds in shared long johns. In Feb. 2021, in Central Texas we all were below freezing and many of us with no power and we made do.

Can we please reclaim our hardy tough brave ancestry? During the freeze in Texas I was reading Laura Ingalls Wilder's truthful story, and felt grateful for the comforts that we had even in the freeze.
Sure and perhaps you could lead by example. Come next summer turn off your A/C for the entire summer and get rid of those nasty modern conveniences like cars. Then get back to us as to how it helps reclaim your tough ancestry.

Old 11-19-2022, 09:56 PM

41,018 posts, read 18,186,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
Does it matter what she pays? The fact is she will be paying about 45% more. Also, where in the world did you see that she doesn't have air conditioning, and even if she did or didn't what does that matter when we are talking about heating oil costs?

Sure and perhaps you could lead by example. Come next summer turn off your A/C for the entire summer and get rid of those nasty modern conveniences like cars. Then get back to us as to how it helps reclaim your tough ancestry.
Bingo…anything to defend Sleepy Joe and skyrocketing Bidenflation that hasn’t been seen in 40+ years, and he’s still handing out hUUUge amounts of money. I’m sure the illegals are comfortable with them being put up in such wonderful places when they arrive

Old 11-19-2022, 10:03 PM

6,094 posts, read 2,715,675 times
I guess the good part of living in the southwest you never need to turn on your heat.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:30 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
I guess the good part of living in the southwest you never need to turn on your heat.
Just wait till they mandate saver switches on your AC units. Don’t doubt it will happen, only when. Probably next summer.

Old 11-19-2022, 10:33 PM

5,316 posts, read 3,203,357 times
Quote:
What is typical, for heating bills for the entire winter in the northeast? In this article, the woman expected 1K in heating costs to take her through the majority of the winter, which I guess was much more than typical.

I actually would have thought heating a home in the northeast for a winter would be more than 1K.

It seems somewhat likely she doesn't have air conditioning costs, and so 1K per year is what she expects to pay for climate control in her home?

That's considerably less than Texans pay for climate control in their homes per year.
On the one hand, you're right. But Texans have 12 months to pay their bill. It's the same here in NC - high electricity bill in the summer and high natural gas bill in the winter. But, still, 12 months to pay the costs to heat and cool.

In the northeast you pay that all at once - your oil tank isn't getting filled unless its paid for. The average house has a 275 gallon tank, and heating oil (in MA, anyway) is averaging $5.78/gallon. A 73% increase in cost from last year. I feel for those with low income or people on a fixed income.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/ma...g-fuels-prices

Old 11-20-2022, 12:09 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I use about 350-425 gallons of oil each winter to heat my house, 1,250 square feet. Last winter I paid about $3/gallon for oil; this winter it will be about $5.50.

I live in suburban Philly, where winters are relatively warm compared to New England. If we have a mild winter, I'll have to fill up only once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies