Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 04:03 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I remember speaking up about it and getting mocked and attacked for it. I appreciate having you say this and for having a witness to all of that. It was hurtful to hear people treat it so flippantly and to disregard my concerns that I knew were legit. I doubt the people who mocked me will ever acknowledge that I was right.
That's ok. I was raked over the coals for saying it wasn't really a vaccine since they said "up to 6 months" in the Pfizer announcement and everyone insisted it was for life.

5 jabs later.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2022, 04:15 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
What did people do with their kids before public schools?

I'm having a hard time thinking lives were ruined due to lack of public schools.

Had I been in that situation, there would be a groups of like aged kids whose families would have agreed to limit contact while the Covid was an issue. We would have hired a teacher. They could meet at the house that could accommodate the group. What's the big deal?

DD had an issue in her classroom remote teaching due to computer access. Parents working from home had to share time and space to their kids classroom. DD was making all kinds of lesson plans to meet all those needs. It's as if all the students had private schooling. Except for the 1/3 that never showed up at all, ever. Then she had to private teach them getting them back up to grade level.

Old 11-25-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That's ok. I was raked over the coals for saying it wasn't really a vaccine since they said "up to 6 months" in the Pfizer announcement and everyone insisted it was for life.

5 jabs later.....

The big mistake was calling it a vaccine. All that did was cause confusion and mistrust.

It was more like an annual flu shot.

Well maybe more than annual.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

5 jabs later.....
You were always speaking up in that thread as well as a voice of reason and continue to do so. I always enjoy your posts.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What did people do with their kids before public schools?

I'm having a hard time thinking lives were ruined due to lack of public schools.

Had I been in that situation, there would be a groups of like aged kids whose families would have agreed to limit contact while the Covid was an issue. We would have hired a teacher. They could meet at the house that could accommodate the group. What's the big deal?

DD had an issue in her classroom remote teaching due to computer access. Parents working from home had to share time and space to their kids classroom. DD was making all kinds of lesson plans to meet all those needs. It's as if all the students had private schooling. Except for the 1/3 that never showed up at all, ever. Then she had to private teach them getting them back up to grade level.
Remember that people were told not to gather at all. It wasn’t like summer vacation where kids and families were always getting together. Kids were spending long days sitting in front the computer doing remote school. No sports, no theatre, no band, no going to the park (remember playgrounds being roped off with caution tape?) just a lot of time sitting in front of a screen, trying to learn and trying to keep up with minimal in life interactions with people beyond their immediate households. Very little to look forward to.

Not all kids are blessed with parents who had the ability to even sit with them, much less plan anything beyond that. Many had parents who had to work. I’m sure there were a lot of kids home alone all day, everyday. Even really little kids. A lot of kids disappeared from school completely during that time. Poor kids were hurt the most.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:16 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
5-year olds considering suicide?

What a sick society we live in, and further proof of the damage the internet, social media, weak parenting, and social wokeness has done to our youth.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/14/healt...ids/index.html
A few things...I do think we encourage kids to speak out more about suicide and that is a good thing. That may end up with higher than previous numbers from emergency visits, calls for help, etc. That was sthe goal...the goal is to get people to TALK about their feelings. Going to the emergency room for help may not be the best way to go but it sure beats not going at all. So I think we should keep these numbers in context.

The other thing, they say kids as young as five but it is absolutely impossible to find out if there was one kid at 5 or a 105 kids at 5 years old -- and yes the amt. of kids matter. I forgot where I read that it is mostly 10 and older .....Still disturbing.

Here in our state they always say the problem is kids don't ask for help. It seems they are.

Parents are paying attention to the mental health of their kids. That's not a bad thing.

It could be 2020 created issues. Long term? We will see.

Let's hope our mental health experts use this info. in improving the services they provide, the messaging they give out.

And parents should definitely keep bringint their kids to doctors when they suspect mental health issues.

Even before Covid pediatric suicide rates had increased significantly in the U.S., nearly tripling between 2007 and 2017 among children ages 10 to 14 years. Hoping these emergency visits will slow that rising rate.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Remember that people were told not to gather at all. It wasn’t like summer vacation where kids and families were always getting together. Kids were spending long days sitting in front the computer doing remote school. No sports, no theatre, no band, no going to the park (remember playgrounds being roped off with caution tape?) just a lot of time sitting in front of a screen, trying to learn and trying to keep up with minimal in life interactions with people beyond their immediate households. Very little to look forward to.

Not all kids are blessed with parents who had the ability to even sit with them, much less plan anything beyond that. Many had parents who had to work. I’m sure there were a lot of kids home alone all day, everyday. Even really little kids. A lot of kids disappeared from school completely during that time. Poor kids were hurt the most.
Thanks. I guess it depended on the state where one lived. Both my teacher daughters and grands had school. One did remote teaching for the kids who wanted to stay home. her teaching partner went into the classroom for those who wanted to attend school. The NY contingent kept school, private. Grand teaches at a private, they continued. His wife, at a college, they did remote.

But the question remains, what did people do with kids before public school? DH attended a 2 room school. Elementary in one room. Each row was a grade. The other went though 9th grade. They had no band, theater or sports teams.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:36 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Thanks. I guess it depended on the state where one lived. Both my teacher daughters and grands had school. One did remote teaching for the kids who wanted to stay home. her teaching partner went into the classroom for those who wanted to attend school. The NY contingent kept school, private. Grand teaches at a private, they continued. His wife, at a college, they did remote.

But the question remains, what did people do with kids before public school? DH attended a 2 room school. Elementary in one room. Each row was a grade. The other went though 9th grade. They had no band, theater or sports teams.
That would be before any of us were alive.
And don't forget ...kids were not kids until they turned 26.
Kids took on adult responsibilities at much younger ages.

Public school started in 1827 but not in all states.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:

That sounds like way more rational ways to handle it. Allow people who needed to to stay home and do remote and let the rest do in person. I would have been happy with that option.

Kids who are into sports may do it via a rec center, YMCA. Club teams etc. Kids who are really into their activities have a hard time losing it all at once. Especially coupled with losing in person school and just general opportunities to get together with friends and family members outside the household.

It was a crazy time.

Old 11-25-2022, 05:43 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
5-year olds considering suicide?

What a sick society we live in, and further proof of the damage the internet, social media, weak parenting, and social wokeness has done to our youth.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/14/healt...ids/index.html
70 % of children today have a fear of global warming. The leftist tell them they are doomed and global warming will destroy us in a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies