Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 04:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,184,638 times

Advertisements

The much-hyped Post 72:

Quote:
It's about how the needs, wants and desires of rural America are completely different than those in urban America and how one side keeps trying to force what they want onto the rest of us who just want to be left alone.

It's about how we can never see unity and compromise again, because we are too far apart.
So what is it that you're being forced to do, then? Forced to carry a pregnancy to term against your will? Why are rural people trying to force your beliefs on everyone else, is what I'd like to know. That's the only problem I've ever had with rural America and 'red' states.

Unity is a myth, too. We've always had different opinions in the rural/agrarian areas vs the cities, since the beginning of the country. Social change/progress starts in big cities, and comes to rural people last, who always have the hardest time with it.

But this whole red vs blue thing, state vs state thing, is really a false narrative.

I'm liberal and I lived in a 'red' state most of my life. Most of my friends are various shades of liberal, and most of them still do live in that red state (GA). Which is actually more of a 50/50 purple state, now, or practically. Now I live in WA, which is a bluer shade of purple, of course, but it's still purple.

https://purplestatesofamerica.org/

I don't think Biden or Trump got less than 25% or more than 75% of the vote in any state in 2020 (excluding DC, of course.)

Glad to see the support in this thread for doing away with/reforming the EC, which is truly hurting America, with this concept of polarized blue and red states. Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful posts on that subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2022, 07:08 PM

984 posts, read 435,144 times
^^Agreed. I'm in Florida, and some now say it's a red state. It's a pinkish purple state. With lots of blue splotches and dots and specks.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:17 AM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
If you are Republican and truly feel America is a red country, there is only one thing to do... insist on abolishing the EC and use the popular vote.

Old 12-06-2022, 10:38 AM

51,588 posts, read 25,543,954 times
Looking at a map that show which areas vote Republican and which vote Democrat, it is easy to see that the rural areas are voting Republican.

Rural areas are losing hospitals because the patients either don't have insurance or have Medicaid or Medicare and even with federal subsidies for providing emergency care, they are losing money. The ones that are staying open are generally ones in a system where the hospitals in more prosperous areas are subsidizing those in the less prosperous ones.

Farm subsidies, including subsidies for soybean farmers, go to areas that vote for Republicans.

If you look at the states, it is clear that the states that vote for Democrats are subsidizing the states that vote for Republicans.

Around 2/3rds of the GDP is produced in the areas that vote for Democrats.

The nation is not red. If it was, Republican Presidents would get the popular vote. They do not. Thousands more Democratic votes for Senators.

Which is fortunate. Who would subsidize Republicans if not for Democrats?

Old 12-06-2022, 12:55 PM

1,334 posts, read 462,014 times
Tax amounts doesn't correlate to a high standard of living. If you were to look at the top states in relation to quality of life then three, four if you count Florida, were based in red states. Interestingly most of the others weren't at the heart of some liberalist cosmopolitan hub. Places on the list such as Wisconsin and Minnesota certainly have their major urban districts but I wouldn't equate them to the likes of Los Angeles, Seattle or DC.

What also isn't being taken into account is the reality of the cost of living metrics inflating the GDP of these states. You can generally afford more using less capital in red states. I would no more boast about California's high GDP solely in that basic context than I would extol India for being a top 10 global economy.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryvete View Post
You can generally afford more using less capital in red states.
You can generally afford more, in areas of lower demand. Which are typically more remote and rural areas and small towns. Plenty of places in Washington are relatively affordable, just not Seattle, and there's a reason for that. It's because of the jobs here, and culture and amenities and all that stuff. If there wasn't a high demand to live here, if it wasn't generally desirable to a lot of people to live here, then there wouldn't be a high housing cost and high cost of living.

But yeah, it sucks when I'm trying to buy a condo here next year, hopefully. Being a buyer on the housing market was a much better experience in the ATL suburbs. But, I make more money here. out Not sure how much it cancels out, or not.

I do live in the overall best state, according to US News:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings

Most of the bottom of the list are the ones I expected to see at the bottom.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:30 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,752,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Land mass doesn't vote, though. People do.

I get that you don't want to be told what to do. Since your profile says you live in a deep red state, I'm not sure what the problem is. What are you being forced to do?
See post #72 YET AGAIN!

This thread is not about votes or winning elections, but you already knew that.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
See post #72 YET AGAIN!

This thread is not about votes or winning elections, but you already knew that.
But yet you don't respond, when people try to talk about what you say the thread is about. I was trying to specifically discuss your stated topic, in my post #375. You want to respond to any of that?

Old 12-06-2022, 01:46 PM

72,825 posts, read 62,174,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Looking at a map that show which areas vote Republican and which vote Democrat, it is easy to see that the rural areas are voting Republican.
Yes and no. Generally, urban areas vote Democrat far more than rural areas. However, even this varies. Look at Alabama. The Black Belt region is a cluster of rural, predominantly Black counties in Alabama. Those areas vote Democrat. The rest of rural Alabama is Republican. 70% Black Birmingham is Democratic. Huntsville, the largest city in Alabama, Republican, an exception to the rule. Why? It's attracting that element. Many places in Huntsville have a suburban character. It's not very densely populated.

Quote:
Rural areas are losing hospitals because the patients either don't have insurance or have Medicaid or Medicare and even with federal subsidies for providing emergency care, they are losing money. The ones that are staying open are generally ones in a system where the hospitals in more prosperous areas are subsidizing those in the less prosperous ones.
I never knew that. I do know that rural areas tend to be lag behind in terms of getting medical care. I noticed that the best hospitals are in the cities or rich suburban areas.
Quote:
Farm subsidies, including subsidies for soybean farmers, go to areas that vote for Republicans.
That I did know. The government is known to pay some farmers not to farm. The first time this happened was under the Roosevelt administration. One of the New Deal programs. Given who did this, it's surprising I don't hear more backlash from conservatives about this. I hear plenty of backlash about people on welfare though.

Quote:
If you look at the states, it is clear that the states that vote for Democrats are subsidizing the states that vote for Republicans.
The question is this. What are subsidies going to?

Quote:
Around 2/3rds of the GDP is produced in the areas that vote for Democrats.
It leaves this to consider. What industries are producing a large portion of the GDP? New York's portion comes from banking, media, the ports,etc? Who is producing what, and where? This will play a big role.

Quote:
The nation is not red. If it was, Republican Presidents would get the popular vote. They do not. Thousands more Democratic votes for Senators.

Which is fortunate. Who would subsidize Republicans if not for Democrats?
The GOP lost the popular vote in 2016 and 2020. However, this isn't always reflected in the electoral vote. The popular vote and the electoral vote don't always match. Trump lost the popular vote in 2016. However, he got the electoral vote. The way the electoral vote works, the electors often vote based on the popular vote. In 21 states, the electors aren't required to go along with the popular vote.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:06 PM

5,871 posts, read 2,801,129 times
If the US split into two equal parts, where would the Democrat get its military to protect it ? The Democrat Party of WW2 is not the Democrat party today. The Woke America on the Left will not fight to protect itself most would run once again to Cannada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies