Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 05:56 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,864,025 times

Advertisements

I agree with all married couples having the exact same federal legal rights regardless of race/sex/gender….as long as they are both legal citizens.

I would assume most of my fellow republicans would agree except for the hardcore religious nuts.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Fair enough.

I'll take it.
Which means ... what exactly?

What has changed and why are you bouncing on a trampoline about it?

You don't even know.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
That is good news.

Apparently there were 3 amendments that the Republicans wanted tacked on to the bill, and when they couldn't get those, some Republicans withdrew their support.

But enough reached across the aisle and showed their bipartisan humanity and generosity, and allowed for their fellow humans to marry whom they love, regardless of gender or race.
That is not what the bill says nor would any Republicans ever vote for that. The bill says that a marriage recognized in any state is valid in any other state. That's all. If Florida or Texas wants to ban gay or interracial marriage there is nothing in this bill to stop them. In fact, 35 states have laws on the books banning gay marriage. What does stop them is SCOTUS decisions that both gay and interracial marriage are protected by the constitution. That protection is on thin ice with the GOP's court.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:01 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is not what the bill says nor would any Republicans ever vote for that. The bill says that a marriage recognized in any state is valid in any other state. That's all. If Florida or Texas wants to ban gay or interracial marriage there is nothing in this bill to stop them. In fact, 35 states have laws on the books banning gay marriage. What does stop them is SCOTUS decisions that both gay and interracial marriage are protected by the constitution. That protection is on thin ice with the GOP's court.
That's already covered in the "full faith and credit clause" in the constitution, though.

This is a step in the right direction, a recognition of a philosophical stance.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
All the congrats! posters literally have no idea what this means.

The sheer ignorance coupled with the ability to just rah rah a headline because they think YAY YAY MY TEAM WON!!!!! is just mindnumbingly disturbing.

Severely so.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:03 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,185,879 times
Nice to see something positive here! Happy news! Kinda odd that McConnell voted against it as it enshrined interracial marriage into federal law. But hey, who cares.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
That's already covered in the "full faith and credit clause" in the constitution, though.

This is a step in the right direction, a recognition of a philosophical stance.
You still don't understand.

Explain what this bill has changed regarding marriage. Use your own words.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:05 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
If the government is going to give out benefits for marriage then it shouldn't restrict marriage by sex or, to be complete fair, even number. I wouldn't be surprised if some states like Utah consider polygamy legal.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 11-29-2022, 06:10 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
If the government is going to give out benefits for marriage then it shouldn't restrict marriage by sex or, to be complete fair, even number. I wouldn't be surprised if some states like Utah consider polygamy legal.
It's surprising that hasn't come up, to make it fully legal. I think Utah has recently decriminalized polygamy.

Old 11-29-2022, 06:17 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,399,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And what does this actually do?

Recognize states rights. Huh.
It makes aged, tiresome arguments, the kind you push everyday, obsolete. Not to shove it down your throat. Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies