Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 12:37 PM

5,632 posts, read 1,766,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Great! Now the ignorant, uneducated parents can groom the children in their image as right wing bigots, and force their hateful cult of christian nationalism on other parents children, and drive trans kids to suicide, and put the kids at greater risk of covid, flu, and RSV to appease anti-vaxxers and covid deniers.

It's Farenheight 451 in half these school districts. Banning books! Why not just pile them up on the playground and burn them.

Another great step in the social decline of Florida. So glad I left that crime infested swamp 40 years ago.
^ Yeah, it's so awful here that it makes everyone want to move here.

Carry on with your delusions.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And i realize from your postings that anything in public school is bad and everyone should attend private/religious schools so why comment.

Also mentioned in the article:
"Broward County earlier this month fired its superintendent through an effort led by five members appointed by DeSantis. All combined, school boards with ties to DeSantis pushed out three superintendents in November alone — and each of them served over districts that implemented student mask mandates.

And why is a Governor appointing School Board Members, vindictive....
Most public schools are crap. This return to parental rights? Is a step in the right direction.

How are district school board members appointed by the governor?

Were citizens of Broward county denied the right to vote on the school board candidates?

Old 11-30-2022, 12:52 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,072,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The EX-Super wasn't cooperating with the newly elected School Board members, & they are now his bosses, so they fired him....outta here.

He was playing politics thinking the old Lib school board would get re-elected, but he guessed wrong...all 4 that were up for re-election were ousted, and 4 conservatives took their place. He knew he was toast.

He paid the price of bringing politics into public education by losing his job.

He also resisted DeSantis's no masking policy, siding with the ousted Libs, which is why DeSantis got involved in the first place. Asplan, & the EX Lib school board members poked a sleeping Bear in DeSantis.

If you go against a powerful Governor's policy, that Governor might just find some way to get rid our you...which DeSantis did....indirectly..legally...masterfully.

EVERY public school Super & school board member in FLA saw these firings, & will now stop pushing woke crap in our classrooms, because they know their jobs could be next. The tone has been set....go woke go broke.
Superintendents should not be involved with politics and as the article states he was following directions from the School Board. But now the board is manned with those following extreme right wing groups like Moms for Liberty so I guess the kids will be getting a good 1950's education, I hope the girls are wearing skirts or dressings come next school year....

"Resisted Desantis" what kind of dictator is he, is he fearless leader or just someone who is thin skinned and vindictive.

The article made no mention of "woke crap" in fact the only thing mentioned "student performance in reading, how he handled masking students and a perceived lack of transparency from Asplen."

But why did they bother with a meeting they have no desire to work with Asplen so at this point I hope he sues the hell out of them for breach of contract if it applies.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Most public schools are crap. This return to parental rights? Is a step in the right direction.

Were citizens of Broward county denied the right to vote on the school board candidates?
Yes they were denied, their elected representative were removed and replaced by the Governor.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:56 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Superintendents should not be involved with politics and as the article states he was following directions from the School Board. But now the board is manned with those following extreme right wing groups like Moms for Liberty so I guess the kids will be getting a good 1950's education, I hope the girls are wearing skirts or dressings come next school year....

"Resisted Desantis" what kind of dictator is he, is he fearless leader or just someone who is thin skinned and vindictive.

The article made no mention of "woke crap" in fact the only thing mentioned "student performance in reading, how he handled masking students and a perceived lack of transparency from Asplen."

But why did they bother with a meeting they have no desire to work with Asplen so at this point I hope he sues the hell out of them for breach of contract if it applies.
Extreme right wing? WTH are you yammering about? Your post is the epitome of someone who is listening to the MSM news.

In the county, there is ZERO push to change dress codes, or install mandatory prayer or Bible class. None.

You are making yourself crazy with rage over stuff you are literally making up in your own head.

It'd be hilarious if it weren't so disturbing.

Define "extreme right wing." I see this used all the time. What does it mean and how do you know if someone is extreme right wing?

Old 11-30-2022, 12:57 PM

2,953 posts, read 991,916 times
Whooole lotta triggered lefties not from Florida here. All et up over how Florida kids are no longer going to be educated to your not-from-Florida standards. Lots of people with no skin in the Florida game vaporing, yes VAPORING over how children there won't be exposed to their dogma.

I can practically hear quavering voices as I read these laments. I believe weeping is in the offing. You people expose yourselves so openly as adherents of an imperial federal govt where states are nothing but different license plates. The degree to which you collectivists jam your noses up the backsides of everyone else living elsewhere from you. It's astounding. And someone earlier had the nerve to suggest that it's republicans sticking their noses where they didn't belong.

And before any of you goes "Yeah but you're here too" I'll clarify that I'm only here in the capacity of a snarky anthropologist lying in the bushes observing and making fun of a troupe of particularly dim Lowland Gorillas.

Old 11-30-2022, 12:58 PM

25,683 posts, read 12,765,268 times
I guess you have not heard the news that there is a Teacher shortage nationwide

I guess you also have not heard that Gov DeSantis increased starting Teacher pay by a huge %, so they went from 48th to 9th nationally.

I guess you have not heard that Florida schools rank well, & our higher education is amongst the natons best.

...all of this without any state income taxes.

Florida's winning....Liberals are losing...& I'm spiking the football

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
His fear tactics and those of the Republican party are highly effective. Noting riles people up more than scaring them that someone/something is coming for their kids.

His policies on the other hand stink.

He's so effective the 2021 teacher shortage of 5,000 has grown to 9,000 for 2022.

Sad watching FL's race to the bottom with ignorant parents cheering it on.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:09 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,984,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I guess you have not heard the news that there is a Teacher shortage nationwide

I guess you also have not heard that Gov DeSantis increased starting Teacher pay by a huge %, so they went from 48th to 9th nationally.

I guess you have not heard that Florida schools rank well, & our higher education is amongst the natons best.

...all of this without any state income taxes.

Florida's winning....Liberals are losing...& I'm spiking the football
Uh, all of that happened BEFORE this last election of M4L candidates and before those supers were fired. Let's see if you can keep up the quality of the education in Florida.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Extreme right wing? WTH are you yammering about? Your post is the epitome of someone who is listening to the MSM news.

In the county, there is ZERO push to change dress codes, or install mandatory prayer or Bible class. None.

You are making yourself crazy with rage over stuff you are literally making up in your own head.

It'd be hilarious if it weren't so disturbing.

Define "extreme right wing." I see this used all the time. What does it mean and how do you know if someone is extreme right wing?
Levity always goes over your head....

No I have seen the same behavior in a district near where I live. The T-Party/Maga crowd overtook the elections for the School Board seats and the first thing they did is fire the Superintendent without cause, the same person who was Virginias Superintendent of the Year.

Along with this there is an entire list of illegal meetings, illegal closed sessions and violations of existing policy on meetings. There was also a list of books that they were going to get rid of with no adherence to the districts policy on review and on and on.....

Same garbage, same ideologies, different location

Extreme right wing, those that operate as the my way or the highway crowd, same with the groups that have overtaken School Board meetings with their demands and no opportunity for anyone else to have an opinion that's different.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:

DeSantis took advantage of a grand jury report over the Parkland shooting to remove enough school board members and ram down his right wing racist curriculum down the throats of one of the most Democratic counties in the state.

Local control and parental involvement in a district is only a good thing when those parents are in lockstep (pun intended) with Our Lord and Savior, Ron DeSantis.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/politi...nd-jury-report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.