Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:44 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

The bill now goes to the senate including the resolution to add in 7 days of sick leave which was narrowly approved. Still 4 of the 12 unions are not onboard unless sick leave is part of the agreement.

Quote:
The House has passed a resolution 290-137 that would force unions to accept a tentative agreement reached earlier this year between railroad managers and their workers and make an imminent strike illegal.

President Biden has been leading the effort to head off a strike that could upend transportation of goods and services, skyrocketing prices on everyday items, including gasoline.

The House also voted on a resolution that would provide seven days of paid sick leave to railroad workers. That measure passed 221 to 207. The effort is meant to ease concerns from labor unions and some lawmakers, despite Biden's request not to alter the carefully negotiated underlying deal. However, the Senate will also vote on both measures separately — meaning it's possible the contract could be approved without the sick leave change.
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/30/11398...ad-strike-bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2022, 09:32 AM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I thought good ol’ Union Joe and ‘adult in the room’ Pete Buttigieg ‘fixed’ this situation back in September. What gives?

Old 12-01-2022, 10:12 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I thought good ol’ Union Joe and ‘adult in the room’ Pete Buttigieg ‘fixed’ this situation back in September. What gives?

Shhhh, you are not supposed to point that out because they needed the image for the midterms.

It's like Joe trying to keep the oil flowing until at least the midterms and the media burying the laptop scandal before the election. It is all smoke and mirrors.

Why are the Feds getting involved at all? Shouldn't this be a private issue between the workers union and the RR companies?

When Biden stuck his nose into the dispute all he did was to open the tax payers checkbook yet again.

How much is this going to cost US to help the Biden admin from looking bad? Guess what they already look terrible, the worse ever and they are not done yet.

Ronald Reagan once said that the most terrifying words were "I'm from the Government and I'm here to Help" . SO True.

Of course we should have all listened more to Obama when he said that we "should never underestimate Joe's ability to "F" things up".

I'm sure Joe will be taking another bow IF the strike is averted but how much will it cost us?

Old 12-01-2022, 11:39 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
It was temporarily diverted back in September, 60 day waiting period as agreed. No one said it was "fixed", the union and management need to agree to the contract. Since they are at an impasse congress intervened. Glad to see something bipartisan passed.

It's now up to the republicans in the senate if they agree to adding in the sick leave resolution.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:41 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,585 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I was listening to talk radio a week or so ago, and was astonished to hear that the major hinging point was paid sick leave.

It seems extremely backward to deny a full time employee paid sick leave - why did the other side hang on to this for so long? Most of these employees do very physically taxing work - paid sick leave just seems respectful.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:45 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why are the Feds getting involved at all? Shouldn't this be a private issue between the workers union and the RR companies?
The government gets involved any time the proposed strike could cause harm to the US people. And if the railroads went on strike, that would be catastrophic for us. That has happened in the past with the airline traffic controllers under Reagan, and probably other times, I don't know.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:46 AM

5,632 posts, read 1,767,186 times
The proper thread title should be:

The House has voted to stuff even more money in the pockets of their donors

Old 12-01-2022, 11:51 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
If a railroad worker has a death in the family and takes a few days off, they can be and often are, fired. Many are forced to work seven days a week and cannot take a day off. There is NO excuse to miss work.
I have a friend who has not had a day off in 3 years.

Old 12-01-2022, 11:57 AM

6,364 posts, read 2,698,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
It was temporarily diverted back in September, 60 day waiting period as agreed. No one said it was "fixed", the union and management need to agree to the contract. Since they are at an impasse congress intervened. Glad to see something bipartisan passed.

It's now up to the republicans in the senate if they agree to adding in the sick leave resolution.
Well you are right, I don't think anyone said it was "fixed". But I do recall MANY people talking about how Joe "Union Guy" Biden was able to save the Country and advert a Strike with his dinner time call into the Negotiations.

Of course that fell apart pretty quickly(and quietly with the MSM) when some Unions voted down the agreement. Then they were forced to have a "Cooling off" period that just happen to last until after the election.

Now, instead of Biden coming to the rescue with his master negotiation skills he has to call in Congress to force them to accept the contract.

As for Congress, since when is it the responsibility of Congress to change the contract that was tentatively agreed to by both Union and Railroad leadership?

Last edited by FrankNSense; 12-01-2022 at 12:19 PM..

Old 12-01-2022, 12:00 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Basically a confirmation of the concept that Unions control the US ports and railways.

A payoff to keep things open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies