Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2022, 01:09 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm against anyone assaulting anyone. I thought it's pretty obvious that everyone is always against that. Or I would hope.

One of my friends who is trans, I knew her back before she came out as trans and transitioned, and she says she is much happier now, and she definitely seems to be. Always smiling when I see pictures, seems to be living a good life.

I don't get it. But do I really have to get it? Maybe someone is just a trans person, and I have no idea what it's like and it's none of my business. And we should accept them as trans people and use the pronouns they want to go by.

Now, I don't take that to the extreme that again some of the far left crowd might be taking it, like saying that I'm a bigot if I'm not attracted to trans women. No. We can't choose who we are attracted to.

It's not really a question of language. It's a question of if gender and sex are necessarily one and the same thing. If they're not, then using language describing gender, but using it according to one's sex, would be using the language incorrectly.

Definitely agree with this.

There could be validity to people saying that sex and gender are not the same thing, and man/woman = terms relating to gender, as opposed to male/female.

Anyone out there who is saying that you can identify as one sex or the other, that is definitely wrong. Sex is a matter of objective facts of physiology.
Perhaps if the trans folks would come up with a suitable pronoun then other folks would find it acceptable to use that pronoun. 'They' does not work as that word has already been assigned a meaning. I would say that most folks find calling a male 'she' objectionable. It's not a transphobia thing, it's just that an ingrained word meaning one thing runs against the grain to use, so to speak. I have no suggestions though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2022, 01:17 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Perhaps if the trans folks would come up with a suitable pronoun then other folks would find it acceptable to use that pronoun. 'They' does not work as that word has already been assigned a meaning. I would say that most folks find calling a male 'she' objectionable. It's not a transphobia thing, it's just that an ingrained word meaning one thing runs against the grain to use, so to speak. I have no suggestions though.
Even then, the only way this pronoun nonsense works is if you already know them or online because walking the street or meeting someone for the first time it would be literally impossible. If a guy looks masculine, has an adam's apple and facial hair I'm going to greet as sir. It doesn't matter if they are wearing a dress and carrying a purse.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ah but are they though? Or are they only concerned when there’s a possibility rape may be committed by a trans woman? Because if they want to protest ACTUAL rape happening right now on women’s prisons all over the country, that would actually do something about something that is actually and already happening.

A lot of women in society believe we’re “soft on crime” and really don’t give a crap what happens to incarcerated women.

Unless there’s a possibility they might be housed with a trans. And then they care very much, apparently.
You know that I can’t answer for the women at the protest and neither can you.

If you wan to hear from a broader audience, feel free to start a thread about it.

Quote:
Interesting question. Given the very violent nature of her crime, I don’t believe she should be housed in a general prison population of either gender. I don’t believe very violent offenders should be housed with non violent offenders period.

But prison is where all violent murderers go. Are the women under more threat from Dana than a 300 pound, super strong woman who’s also in there for some kind of psychopathic violence against other women?

I’m not sure they are. I actually have to think about that question, honestly I’m in the fence.
Since we know that males are much stronger than females and we also know that males are much more likely to assault women sexually than other women, why are you on the fence?

If you are against male prison guards in women’s prisons why would you be on thee fence regarding a violent male inmate such as Dana in a women’s prisons?

Old 12-06-2022, 01:21 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
A person who is born a male can not change to being a female and vice versa. It’s biologically impossible.
You have already acknowledged that trans people exist just by posting on the topic. That other poster wants to deliberately confuse people by using backwards terminology. We cannot communicate if we don't have universal agreement on what words mean.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:24 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You have already acknowledged that trans people exist just by posting on the topic. That other poster wants to deliberately confuse people by using backwards terminology. We cannot communicate if we don't have universal agreement on what words mean.
Your statements are not true. If you want to rephrase them, feel free but what you stated was false.

I agree that words have meaning.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:30 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
I've had it with these masked "antifa" types. Knock them down, gang up on them, rip those masks off and make sure to get good pics or videos of their faces.

Old 12-06-2022, 01:35 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I've had it with these masked "antifa" types. Knock them down, gang up on them, rip those masks off and make sure to get good pics or videos of their faces.
Why have you had it with people that are anti fascist ? And how do you even know they are "antifa", they don't officially have a group, a leader, or a home base ?

/s

Old 12-06-2022, 01:36 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
They and them already have established meanings. It makes zero sense to misuse the English language like this just for the woke crowd. People can wear a name tag if they need to be properly addressed according to "them".

Old 12-06-2022, 04:30 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The English language has already said what pronouns exist.

Old 12-06-2022, 04:36 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They and them already have established meanings. It makes zero sense to misuse the English language like this just for the woke crowd. People can wear a name tag if they need to be properly addressed according to "them".
I was discussing the meanings of trans man and trans woman. One poster was deliberately reversing them, thus confusing the entire post.

Pronouns are a different issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies