Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 09:38 AM

25,792 posts, read 16,434,167 times

Advertisements

My personal theory is it’s undersea venting from volcanoes etc.

Another thing to consider is all the trillions of gallons of water that have been pumped from the aquifers all around the world and most of it has evaporated into the atmosphere. That has to be having an effect on a lot of things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 10:25 AM

27,393 posts, read 28,466,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I think my theory gets closer to the truth....

The humans who start to believe in doomsday prophecies are 100% correct. They are correct because these people tend to be middle aged and they suddenly realize they're going to die sooner than the number of years they've been alive.

Doomsday is real for them, they see clearly time is running out and they're definitely going to die, and they project this onto society when in fact it's their own personal demon
I was going to say that too. "If I'm going to end, the whole world sure as heck better end with me." So the thinking goes.

Then we get the latest incarnation of climate change nutcases telling everybody we're going to burn to death, freeze to death, get blown away or drown. Take your pick.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:27 AM

5,852 posts, read 2,696,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This article struck me, from its title Meet the Mice Who Make the Forest - Scientists are unearthing a quiet truth about the woods: Where trees grow, or don’t, depends in part on the quirky decisions of small mammals to be an intriguing nature article, harking back to my childhood days of hanging out at the local nature center. Then, why must every article on nature, weather, hiking or almost everything raise climate alarms. Excerpt:
"If one is interested in the future of a forest — which tree species will thrive and which will diminish, or whether those threatened by a fast-changing climate will successfully migrate to newly hospitable lands — one should look to these seed-dispersing animals."
It is super-annoying at best, propangandistic at worst. It has to stop.
Climate Alarmist Reasoning: we need to tax more fiat currency from successful countries to save the mice, which will save the planet from climate change.

Higher taxes reduce Global Warming.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:05 AM

34,683 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
They would rather people starve today for sure by banning fertilizer and freeze by banning oil & gas than take a chance that maybe, perhaps, 30-50 years from now the water will rise in a few places and it's going to be much hotter in a few places
Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have a theory.

Humans have a genetic predisposition to believe in doomsday prophecies.

Maybe that is why they recur with such frequency throughout history.
Very interesting perspective. Absolutely true. As REM says "it's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine."

Old 12-07-2022, 11:14 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,585,410 times
Quote:
They would rather people starve today for sure by banning fertilizer and freeze by banning oil & gas than take a chance that maybe, perhaps, 30-50 years from now the water will rise in a few places and it's going to be much hotter in a few places
Climate-friendly farming is more productive per acre than modern industrial farming, it's just less profitable. Don't get twisted up into thinking that feeding and heating people is at stake: environmentalism is solely a risk to corporate profits, that's why the pushback is so severe.

We're gonna run out of fertilizer and oil before it ever gets banned. And the water rise is already happening (Miami being an obvious example).

Old 12-07-2022, 09:23 PM

19,701 posts, read 10,038,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Climate-friendly farming is more productive per acre than modern industrial farming, it's just less profitable. Don't get twisted up into thinking that feeding and heating people is at stake: environmentalism is solely a risk to corporate profits, that's why the pushback is so severe.

We're gonna run out of fertilizer and oil before it ever gets banned. And the water rise is already happening (Miami being an obvious example).
They have kept track of the rate of sea rise for several hundred years and it has not changed.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:41 PM

1,052 posts, read 448,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Actually, that could happen. Ice melting and sea level rising change the isostatic pressure distributions on the mantle plates. Plates start slipping around and causing others to reposition. Volcanoes will further redistribute earth mass and spew GW chemicals and the whole thing gets into a feedback loop. Scientists will say 'see I told ya so' and the deniers will go deaf. Religionists will say it is the hand of GAWD punishing man for sins. It might look like the apocalypse, and for some it will be.
Wow, you're ahead of the WashCompost. Congratulations on some outstanding mental gymnastics and bonus points for fear mongering and not-so-subtle digs at religious people.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:46 PM

34,683 posts, read 16,724,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minnomaboidenapolis View Post
Wow, you're ahead of the WashCompost.
Do they advocate composting of organic trash?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies