Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 07:32 AM

6,635 posts, read 2,956,027 times

Advertisements

It is way too late for such a dramatic shift, imho.

Singapore is like "Broken Windows" policy on Espresso. ( not crack, because that is illegal! )

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that it would end up being blasted for disproportionately affecting minorities and immediately pulled back,..lol. Heck, our current laws already get scorned for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 07:34 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
Singapore's laws fit its unique situation, and don't necessarily fit a vast country of 50 semi-independent states like the USA. Singapore is a city state, densely populated with most residents in large multi-story apartment / condo dwellings and very tropical temperatures year-round. I mention the tropical part, because many of their laws have to do with maintaining sanitary conditions to avoid spread of disease (a big concern in dense tropical places). This is the reason for the fines for spitting or for using chewing gum - there is no discarded chewing gum stuck on the sidewalk or streets that could hold germs.

If you haven't visited Singapore, it is hard to understand all of the reasoning behind the laws. Singapore is a free country where citizens can come and go as they please, so yes, they have a choice in the matter.

It is pleasant to walk around in Singapore after dark without a worry in the world about your personal safety or if you are in a safe neighborhood. You see men and women of all ages walking after dark, as it is more pleasant that walking around in the heat of the day. You also see boys and girls, some of them pre-teens, walking in the dark alone or with some friends, often going from one location to another in their neighborhood. People are simply not worried about their kids being harmed by a stranger.
Your last paragraph pretty much describes growing up in the 40’s and 50’s in my little town in Alabama. I haven’t lived there in many years and I’m sure it has changed for the worse.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:43 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,395,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
It is way too late for such a dramatic shift, imho.

Singapore is like "Broken Windows" policy on Espresso. ( not crack, because that is illegal! )

I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that it would end up being blasted for disproportionately affecting minorities and immediately pulled back,..lol. Heck, our current laws already get scorned for that.
It's way too early actually.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:49 AM

1,703 posts, read 804,442 times
I hate that I'm even thinking this but since the petty and short of murder criminals can't be fined as they don't really have any money and we can't jail them all and jail isn't much of a deterant anyway perhaps a good caning would have an impact.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:51 AM

4,503 posts, read 1,860,989 times
Yes, 100%

Old 12-07-2022, 08:05 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
I am an admitted hawk when it comes to justice, jail, and all things punishment. My reticence on harsh punishment is based on the politics and sloppy police action which sometimes railroads accused criminals into guilty pleas/convictions when they are actually innocent.

That aside, and it is major aside, punishment should be harsh.

If you are convicted and go to jail, it should be awful. Three hots and a cot. No TV or exercise yards or rehabilitation. You should assume that you will more than likely die in jail if your sentence is more than a few months. Minimal medical care, no socialization, no education, complete isolation. Punishment should fit the crime. Shoplifting? Fingers of hands off. Murder? Death sentence by hanging or gunfire. The punishment should NOT be something where "life just goes on". "Better than living in a cold flat" sort of thing. Jail/punishment should be FEARED. People/criminal should be SCARED of going to jail or otherwise being punished.

Society would be better for it. The time to stop being "nice" to criminals is long since passed.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:07 AM

10,425 posts, read 6,954,235 times
I'm all for Singapore style laws here. Want to stop illegal immigration? Start hanging and whippings out in public.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:11 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I am an admitted hawk when it comes to justice, jail, and all things punishment. My reticence on harsh punishment is based on the politics and sloppy police action which sometimes railroads accused criminals into guilty pleas/convictions when they are actually innocent.

If you are convicted and go to jail, it should be awful. Three hots and a cot. No TV or exercise yards or rehabilitation. You should assume that you will more than likely die in jail if your sentence is more than a few months. Minimal medical care, no socialization, no education, complete isolation. Punishment should fit the crime. Shoplifting? Fingers of hands off. Murder? Death sentence by hanging or gunfire. The punishment should NOT be something where "life just goes on". "Better than living in a cold flat" sort of thing. Jail/punishment should be FEARED. People/criminal should be SCARED of going to jail or otherwise being punished.

Society would be better for it. The time to stop being "nice" to criminals is long since passed.
Punishment doesn't have to be harsh; it just has to be sure.

If you know - for a fact - that if you park somewhere you're going to get a $50 ticket, few people will park there, and only those who are so desperate to park they're willing to pay 50 bucks.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
I'm all for Singapore style laws here. Want to stop illegal immigration? Start hanging and whippings out in public.
Okay you can go turn your guns in to the nearest police at this point if you are okay with that.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

The problem is that what you are saying is completely barbaric and medieval. Aside from that these people if they are released are going to come out worse. If we are going to completely disregard human rights and dignity why not just have only one punishment? All offenses are punished by death even for a first offense.

People seem to be u able to make the distinction between punishment and revenge at times.

Even places like Singapore although have harsh prison conditions, have to offer a way back into society when you are finished. I don't know the exact particulars but they don't let you out with no plan. You probably get assigned some meaningless job and some government cube to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies