Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 09:14 PM

1,345 posts, read 473,845 times

Advertisements

Was born in the 90s and didn't live in either era so I can't really comment as to what they were really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No we don't. And yes, as a Black man, I have nothing nice to say about the 1950s.

Say what you will about where we are as a country right now. However, talking about the 1950s or 1980s as being the best is just stupid. The drug war was raging during the 1980s. Crime went to epic proportions during the 1980s. AIDS was raging during that time as well.

The 1950s, well, all of the overt racism, women being all but barred from most occupations, I wouldn't want to live back then.

How about lower out of wedlock births and a stronger nuclear family? Actual enforcement of border security?

Frankly there's a number of positions that I'm not comfortable with women being in (frontline military service, for one thing).

Whatever faults the 1950s may have had there's things that can be evaluated as occurring back during that time and hopefully try to apply today.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:22 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
How about just a conservative era? The past in the past. It's best to learn from it, not try to emulate it. I don't think the average American would be happy about downsizing their living standard/expectations.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:23 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger'sMoney View Post
United? No, you had the poor that Reagan spat on. And there are many religions. We don’t need to be a theocratic state.

I really think conservative hate for Middle Eastern countries comes from a a place of envy.

“Oh man, why can’t we control our woman that way? Why can’t we throw gays off of buildings?”m Muslim fundamentalists have all the fun…”
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
With the drug war, skyrocketing crime, AIDS, rapidly increasing rates of imprisonment, cities like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, Birmingham, St. Louis, and other industrial cities losing jobs during this time.

I don't disagree with you that we need to come to God. However, I don't think most of American history is worth emulating.
Give me a better decade…

Old 05-27-2023, 09:24 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
I'm fine going back to the 1990s which was the last great decade America had.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:29 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
This is not the '50s, many, perhaps most, people on this forum weren't even born in the 50s. And we know there are posters who weren't born in the '80s either.

All the wishing in the world isn't going to get anyone into the wayback machine to teleport back to whatever year they imagine was perfect. There wasn't perfection, each generation had their issues and challenges.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:37 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
I remember the entirety of the 80's. There was nothing particularly great about it. Just because the POTUS's rhetoric says such-and-such does not mean that's what was really going on in society.

In the 80's, homelessness exploded, crime exploded, marriage rates fell, divorce rates were higher than they are now, and so on, and so forth. Oh yeah, and gay rights began to be accepted. It's really sad that some people look at some videos and think that's representative of some point in time.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:39 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,026,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
This country is a complete sh*t show. At this point, we have delved so far into the trenches, it's going to take an act of God to get us out. We are so far from our values. I felt so proud as an American when Trump was elected. I felt secure and hopeful that amazing things were coming. I felt protected with his leadership overseeing the military. Then the dream turned into a nightmare when the current president was installed and it's been a satanic kabuki show ever since. All forms of reprobrate behavior have came out the woodworks and taken over popular culture. Alternative lifestyles are being normalized and pushed unto our children. Certain minorities have become emboldened to harrass innocent people and commit crimes. Illegals are coming in by the thousands and taking up limited resources. We have turned our back on our Christian values. Women are fighting to kill their children. The nuclear family is under constant attack as well as our constitutional rights. I look back on videos of the 50s and 80s and realize we took a terrible turn. Excluding racism, alot of the xenophobia back then I am now beginning to understand was justified to protect the integrity and social fabric of the country. We have not progressed at all. We have massively regressed. We need a reset back to another conservative era to undo the defilement of this generation. A 1980s style reset with a president that loves America and it's people, a strong military and economy, a strong spiritual core, prominent nuclear family and marriage structure, powerful police and crime laws, high quality educators (not activist) and institutions, and a weakened pop culture industry that acquiesces to the moral climate of the country.
The US was so much divided during Trump era. There was huge women rights protests and black lives movement. With that Covid came out of control in the USA and the USA had the highest covid rates in the world. Sure the economy was doing well, yet it fell apart when the impact of Covid occurred. Mass shootings occurring. Plus, increased racism.

Trump was very arrogant too. Plus, I saw many people see him as a messiah, or savior of America.

1980s? As far as I know Aids was a huge thing then. Drug use was out of control then. The war on Drugs was a failure too. Prisons were overfilled then too. There was a huge poverty rates and ever rising homelessness.

1950s? If you were White and male yes it would have been great era. More often than not they lived among the highest living standards in the world, but for so many Blacks they lived in third world like conditions. Racism was very overt then too.

I don't think it would take a President to change America or a change in Government. It up to American individuals to turn to God and rely on him for their needs and protection, and not depend on an President, past or future or the American government to save America.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:41 PM

20,865 posts, read 9,532,948 times
The 50's is what created the 60's. If you recreate another 50's, you will get another 60's following it.

Old 05-27-2023, 09:47 PM

18,079 posts, read 15,664,302 times
I well remember the 1980s, all of it. America had a president who never once uttered the word, AIDS, until his 2nd term in office. Talk about denial.

Meanwhile, the virus was spreading worldwide, hundreds of thousands just in the U.S, then millions were infected, with no treatment and (still) no cure 42 years later and over 35 million deaths.

Thank goodness there are at least some excellent treatments that extend life by decades and prevent spread of the virus. Not every country has access to those drugs.

Reagan's cognitive functioning was compromised heading into his 2nd term, to the extent that his media appearances were limited and carefully curated. No news conferences was the decision made by Nancy and his inner circle of advisors and after his nonsensical incoherent verbiage during his debate with Mondale for the 1984 election, that was ended. Ronnie was not up to the task anymore. Every effort was made to conceal his decline and try to keep an image of a "strong man, fully in charge."

Old 05-27-2023, 09:57 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
1950s? No. We had racism ( can you imagine, blacks forced to sit in the back of the bus and not allowed to eat in the same restaurant as whites?). Also, if you were gay, you didn’t dare let it be known. We had the Korean War and the commie witch hunts. We did have two pretty good Presidents, however.

1980s? Started out with a terrible recession, AIDS and a lot of worry about nuclear war. Ended up better though.

1990s were probably the best decade. Gang buster economy and balanced budget. Not too much worry about Russia or China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies