Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 07:01 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
I'll be hoarding water and loading shotguns. lol

No seriously, I'm not going anywhere.

This is the land where I was born and raised.
I don't know if you're a Trump supporter or a Biden supporter (or neither), but this right here is the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2023, 07:02 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
The "end of America" drama queens are as bad as the "I'm moving to Canada if Trump gets elected" drama queens.

Stop.

How about if America makes it through 4 (or 8) years of Biden we stop with all the drama? This country has made it through good and bad presidents, and will continue to do so.

This. We have made it through Wars, depressions and so many other obstacles, this is just a tiny bump in the road of our Great Country. This too shall pass.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:03 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,622,948 times
What is it with these pessimistic threads about America?

We survived the Great Depression where Millions lost their Jobs & Banks were insolvent & 9/11 which was an actual attack on our Soil.
There was No Welfare or Social Security or FDIC back then.
The Soup kitchens of today are for our Homeless who are not the majority of us.
Our Nation is at peace and not involved in any Wars.
Un Employment is at a 50 year low.
We emerged from a Global Pandemic that100 years ago would have paralyzed most Nations for a decade.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:04 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,845,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We're staying. My family has been here since 1622 and my wife's since 1628. We are residents, not renters. I have lots of farmland that is in a family trust that will sustain future generations. You can't pack that in a bag and go to Panama.

The key is to live in a politically conservative area that is relatively immune to the insanity of liberalism.

If America falls, terms like "liberal" and "conservative" won't have too much meaning anymore, and it really doesn't matter where you live, you're still pretty much screwed. Unless you're Kracer, who has already called dibs on the Alamo. They'll be fine.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:07 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,457,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I doubt America would sink in any sort of Mad Max way.

There will always be "nice" places to live and that should drive you to 'do better'.

We already have pockets of Escape from NY style areas.

"Sinking" would mean there is just more of everything.

It would be like Elysium except not in Space.
Future America I believe will be like a cross between 1990s Liberia and 1990s Somalia.... Except with much fatter and dumber people.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:08 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Canada - it's only about a 90 min drive from where I sit.
They don't want Americans unless you have something to bring to the table. A skill or profession that is needed in their country and that will enable you to contribute to the tax base.

The immigration lady questioning me at the border in 2018 told me that since the 2016 US election, 8000 Americans a month were applying to move to Canada. Most were being turned down. They knew others were coming in as visitors and staying illegally. (We heard this same thing right here on City-Data in 2020 with people airily proclaiming they were moving to Canada if Biden was elected, so these would-be northern immigrants are not confined to one party.)

Old 06-01-2023, 07:09 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What is it with these pessimistic threads about America?

We survived the Great Depression where Millions lost their Jobs & Banks were insolvent & 9/11 which was an actual attack on our Soil.
There was No Welfare or Social Security or FDIC back then.
The Soup kitchens of today are for our Homeless who are not the majority of us.
Our Nation is at peace and not involved in any Wars.
Un Employment is at a 50 year low.
We emerged from a Global Pandemic that100 years ago would have paralyzed most Nations for a decade.
Exactly. This ain't nothin.

For a breezy summer read, may I suggest The Worst Hard Times by Timothy Egan.

A little perspective here, please.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:11 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post

If America falls, terms like "liberal" and "conservative" won't have too much meaning anymore, and it really doesn't matter where you live, you're still pretty much screwed. Unless you're Kracer, who has already called dibs on the Alamo. They'll be fine.
Right..............................

You are describing absolute anarchy, which if it ensued, would be global.

I have tons of fairly isolated farmland with all the food, energy, water, ammunition, barriers, and gasoline I would ever need.

Old 06-01-2023, 07:13 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Austria or Ireland

Last edited by Annandale_Man; 06-01-2023 at 07:27 AM..

Old 06-01-2023, 07:14 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
I'll become my own country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies