Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 11:41 AM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Pushing LGBT stuff specifically on young children is where it crosses the line for most people.

If a company has a rainbow flag in an office somewhere, who cares? That's their business.
But that is not all what people are upset about. It's pronouns it's the equity stuff on mission statements. Lots of stuff you really have to search for online.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:18 PM

21,107 posts, read 19,703,590 times
There's a big difference between supporting a diverse workforce and pushing a woke agenda on customers.

Old 06-03-2023, 01:55 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Take a History Class View Post
You don't do nuance, do you? I'd imagine somewhere on a website for EVERY fortune 500 company you'll find similar statements. This is not about your average gay person or treating equally to straight people, but it's about disrespecting your customer in the case of Bud Light and being outlandishly "in your face" with activism in the case of Target. People are rightly tired of both of those things.
But it is about that, as you can see by the attacks on Chick-fil-A. They put out a statement that is very very similar to the statements we just saw in the OP. And many conservatives are feeling betrayed by that.

Old 06-03-2023, 02:30 PM

18,455 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree with Cuebald on this one. Nothing is being shoved down my throat. The only time I hear about any of these topics at all is on here or conservative media. I hardly ever watch TV nor go to stores like Target. And no one has ever told me to use certain pronouns. And I have never wandered into a library where drag queens are reading books. So I do doubt much of that chatter on her that all this stuff is being shoved down your throat. Its just faux hysteria to take attention away from what is not getting done. Like the border, inflation, the debt limit and all the real stuff I do have to deal with all the time or affects my bank account and assets. But instead lets act like chicken little because of who Bud Light chooses as a spokesperson. Meanwhile Rome is burning.

Just because it hasn't happened to do doesn't mean it's not happening to others.

And I was also talking about other types of forced and engineered diversity, not just the whole LGBT stuff.

Old 06-03-2023, 04:30 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
But how far are people willing to go?

A lot of what goes on in this world I don't know is happening until I hear it in word of mouth here on the Net. Much of the "outrage" of this world I do not know about for I never see it when it is first shown, in its shock value. As said, for an example, I didn't know who this Brandon was till about this time last year.

So what's my secret of this perfect answer? I don't have TV. No streaming, no cable, no broadcast.

Are people willing to go that far, give up the modern boob tube?

Or are they willing to go along and submit themselves to what Richard Dawson said in "The Running Man" close to 40 years ago? "You look pissed, Ben. Believe me, you got every right to be. But hey, will you just let me explain. This is television, that's all it is. It's nothing to do with people, it's to do with the ratings. For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, Ben, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em *what they want*! We're number one, Ben, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business thirty years." (From imdb)

Old 06-03-2023, 04:34 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,036,859 times
This here my friend is what they call "virtual signaling". In the end, what is really happening is these companies are claiming to be supporting the LGBT movement, but when it cause a dip in their sales, they will claim they tried it but the market isn't there and will never do it again.

I hope the LGBT community know that these corporations are just taking them for a ride.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:01 PM

1,100 posts, read 431,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
This here my friend is what they call "virtual signaling". In the end, what is really happening is these companies are claiming to be supporting the LGBT movement, but when it cause a dip in their sales, they will claim they tried it but the market isn't there and will never do it again.

I hope the LGBT community know that these corporations are just taking them for a ride.
There is no movement as far as I'm concerned. I'm a gay man who wants and has NOTHING to do with that alphabet soup, though. Lots of guys like me out there.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:49 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Just because it hasn't happened to do doesn't mean it's not happening to others.

And I was also talking about other types of forced and engineered diversity, not just the whole LGBT stuff.
I am not reading much anecdotal stuff on here. Just that its being rammed down their throat with all the stories on conservative media about it. I really believe a very very few on here have any first hand experience with any of this.

I am against quotas that force employers or universities (affirmative action) to pick a certain amount of non white male candidates. It should always be the best candidate gets in. If its done honestly many others will get in, no matter what it is. Obviously the left does not trust that so they want to force a quota.

But other than that. If a business wants to feature a trans social media influencer. Who cares? If that does not work for you, ok. It does not work for me either. But to boycott the company is silly. Or Chick-a-fila. Or Target having a pride display. Target is not woke. They are trying to appease these groups. They are not trying to turn you trans or gay. They are not trying to groom your kids. Its silly I have to point this out. Or maybe you got sexually harassed on the job but we don't care. No responsible business would act that way.

My point of this thread was that almost all larger businesses have an EDI statement in their company website. They are not woke for doing that. They are protecting their business from lawsuits. That is it. You don't have it. Its like not having a sexual harassment policy. You open the door to lawsuits. Its saying we are not diverse and the reason you did not get hired might because of that.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 06-03-2023 at 06:05 PM..

Old 06-03-2023, 05:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Never been one for Chick a fila anyhow. Stopped by there a few years ago but between the wait and the cost, went off to Wally World instead and picked up a sack of tanjelos (before I was a Type II). Which is to say, it doesn't matter who you are advertising to if your product isn't worth it.

Old 06-03-2023, 05:58 PM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am not reading much anecdotal stuff on here. Just that its being rammed down their throat with all the stories on conservative media about it. I really believe a very very few on here have any first hand experience with any of this.

I am against quotas that force employers or universities (affirmative action) to pick a certain amount of non white male candidates. It should always be the best candidate gets in. If its done honestly many others will get in, no matter what it is. Obviously the left does not trust that so they want to force a quota.

But other than that. If a business wants to feature a trans social media influencer. Who cares? If that does not work for you, ok. It does not work for me either. But to boycott the company is silly. Or Chick-a-fila. Or Target having a pride display. Target is not woke. They are trying to appease these groups. They are not trying to turn you trans or gay. They are not trying to groom your kids. Its silly I have to point this out.

My point of this thread was that almost all larger businesses have an EDI statement in their company website. They are not woke for doing that. They are protecting their business from lawsuits. That is it. You don't have it. Its like not having a sexual harassment policy. You open the door to lawsuits. Its saying we are not diverse and the reason you did not get hired might because of that.
That has been there since before the 90's when I was working.
They just call it different names now.

But then it was about Gays, Blacks, Women and people with disabilities....those were the big social issues back then.
The big push was to make everything ADA compliant.

OP must think this is something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies