Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,785,098 times

Advertisements

Over population.
Increasing struggles for diminishing resources.
The never ending human drive for vengeance.

And lastly the moral emotional mental physical political and environmental pollution that all the above brings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 04:08 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
nuclear weapons...used by those countries who have them.

we're one of those countries...and we're not afraid to use them either.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Default Ho Hum

I thought this might be an interesting discussion but find it seems to revolve around a bunch of 'senior members' having a friendly chat and a few souls trying to express what they believe to be the core issues in spite of the polite social discourse.
Fear not - this is my one and only posting in this lame arena - wouldn't want to take up space that could be used by PG77, cncracer, the_pines and others to increase there ratings.
BYE
P.B.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
I think the same threats that have always challenged mankind will continue.

War, Pestilence, Plague and Famine will saddle up before the end of this century and reduce the population to below the planet’s carrying capacity for humans. People have always used new technology to allow their numbers to exponentially increase. I think we have already reached the limits for Homo Walmartus Creditcardus. Surviving interesting times is way harder than living in them.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:43 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Platinum Blonde View Post
I thought this might be an interesting discussion but find it seems to revolve around a bunch of 'senior members' having a friendly chat and a few souls trying to express what they believe to be the core issues in spite of the polite social discourse.
Fear not - this is my one and only posting in this lame arena - wouldn't want to take up space that could be used by PG77, cncracer, the_pines and others to increase there ratings.
BYE
P.B.
Bye. Have a good day. Let us old folks sit in our rocking chairs and rock back and forth in peace. Does this mean I don't get any rep points from you which I so desperately need and promotes my mere existence in this world? Drat!

Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,947,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Unrestrained population growth.
bingo.

But secondary to this, a new disease will wipe many out. That is nature's way.

Antibiotics are losing effectiveness against stronger and stronger pathogens. It's a battle we can't win for long.

Ironically, the disease that decimates societies may be the only saving grace for the planet.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:27 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Overpopulation is a big threat because it will lead to fights/wars over dwindling resources, such as clean drinkable water, oil, etc. Religious fundamentalists are also a big problem, IMO.

I think we will destroy ourselves within the next couple of hundred years...the problem is, we keep making the same mistakes, over and over, just in a different setting.
We should learn from our mistakes and not repeat them, but this is clearly NOT happening.

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-30-2008, 12:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Overpopulation is a big threat because it will lead to fights/wars over dwindling resources, such as clean drinkable water, oil, etc. Religious fundamentalists are also a big problem, IMO.

I think we will destroy ourselves within the next couple of hundred years...the problem is, we keep making the same mistakes, over and over, just in a different setting.
We should learn from our mistakes and not repeat them, but this is clearly NOT happening.
How would you suggest or propose to stem the over population problem (which I can agree is a problem)?

Old 06-30-2008, 12:10 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,113,949 times
Liberals.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:11 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
How would you suggest or propose to stem the over population problem (which I can agree is a problem)?
Education. Access to FREE birth control.... possibly financial rewards for people not to have more than a certain number of children.

The problem is in many countries birth rates are so high, because the family relies on children for income or their labor and/ or relies on them to take care of them in their old age.

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies