Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:24 AM

451 posts, read 1,228,172 times

Advertisements

As the Obama movement continues more and more black folks are getting involved in the political process and are becoming aware of how things work in America. My questions for the majority is. Does this scare you? As more and more people step up and understand there rights and make goals not to be some manufactured BET/MTV image how does that make you feel? Do you feel that America will become a better place? or will it make the divide grow? Can you take the feeling of some black person beating you out on a job due to him/her out classing you and not having the "he only got the job because he was black" excuse. I ask all these questions because I see this fear in some people. They don't want to admit to it, but its what I feel in the gut. weather I'm right or wrong in my assumption, I honestly want to know how you feel.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:20 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default Does a aware black america threaten you?

Nope not at all, if a person has more qualifications than me then more power to them but being more politicaly aware will not get you the job unless you get the education and apply it and that goes if your black, white or anything else, Parents have to insure their children are in school and doing their work, they have to teach good habits and morals to give their children a chance to succeed.
Obama should be a role model for what a Black man can do if he puts out the effort. Will his example change some lives? yes it will inspire some but until the chain is broken and the parents step up things will change very little.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM

358 posts, read 518,411 times
great, maybe we can get rid of that little amendment called the 14th amendment. so then blacks, women and others will not be able to claim they were denied.
fair play goes both ways.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Same for me the best person in the best job. As long as that person doesn't resembles hate or racism...doesn't matter the color the person has...counts boths ways.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:36 PM

464 posts, read 660,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
As the Obama movement continues more and more black folks are getting involved in the political process and are becoming aware of how things work in America. My questions for the majority is. Does this scare you? As more and more people step up and understand there rights and make goals not to be some manufactured BET/MTV image how does that make you feel? Do you feel that America will become a better place? or will it make the divide grow? Can you take the feeling of some black person beating you out on a job due to him/her out classing you and not having the "he only got the job because he was black" excuse. I ask all these questions because I see this fear in some people. They don't want to admit to it, but its what I feel in the gut. weather I'm right or wrong in my assumption, I honestly want to know how you feel.
1) An American understanding their rights is a good thing, regardless of their genetic background.

2) Whether you are right or wrong about your assumptions is, in final analysis, immaterial. We are all Americans, endowed by our creator with inalienable rights.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
great, maybe we can get rid of that little amendment called the 14th amendment. so then blacks, women and others will not be able to claim they were denied.

I think the 14th amendment was needed at the time a lot of people looked at us as being inferior and I still get that to this day. When I have transfered to a new place I have gotten the superiority complex from a few white males who feel that they are smarter just because I'm black. The problem is that its not even there fault. All of us are conditioned through the media, home, and personal experiences to think a certain way, and it can be crushing to you to find out that not all people are the same, and I feel we have a hard time accepting it. When I 1st joined the military I had a hard time trusting white people do the prior conditioning from how I was treated as a teenager by the police and the crummy jobs I had till I graduated high school. My main point was not really the job issue, it was more a fear of more black people actually wanting more of the pie than they are getting. Remember this country only has so much and when more people try to get there piece, others are gonna be left out, which can cause discomfort for the majority.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
Unfortunately for the vast majority of our history, it hasnt been fair at all.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
As far as blacks being engaged in the political process, maybe because I was born and raised in Oakland(Im not black btw), where blacks have long been a major staple in the political landscape, the thought of blacks rising to power isnt such a novelty to me? But I have been surrounded by highly educated, wealthy and influential blacks for most of my life so as far as Im concerned, its about time most Americans were made aware of their existence.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:32 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
That is the biggest liberal myth there is, that there is only so much to go around.

The pie is not limited in size. I do not know why people can not understand this concept.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:54 PM

384 posts, read 1,709,741 times
You know what bothers me? Why is Obama considered black when he is obviously mixed with black and white? Why should we worry about whether he is black or not when he is DEFINITELY not 100% black. Why is the world so focus on his black heritage and not his white heritage? And what difference were the comments between PFlegger (or whatever his name is) to that of Geraldine Ferraro?

I'm just tired of the crap with the race bashing, why not just look at what he stands for? Who says the Clintons are any better? It's quite obvious now that their true feelings about blacks are coming out. What about sucking up to the spanish community? Don't the spanish people know that if this race had included a spanish person against Hillary it would have had the same negative racial tone? Come on people wake up and move on. I'm tired of the race crap. We need to worry about bringing the country back to the way it was or even better and who the best person is to fit the role.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies