Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
If you think that the planet is overpopulated, by definition, you are saying that there are too many people. The logical solutions to overpopulation include:

1) limiting births
2) encouraging deaths

Who will we limit who will be born and who will we encourage to die? Who is the decider? I think encouraging those who believe the world is overpopulated to kill themselves may meet with some resistance but I wonder if those folks volunteer to remain childless?
I'm one of them, no plans ever to have children. So I guess that gives me free reign to push home the problem of overpopulation, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM

464 posts, read 660,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Now, from what I can read, this was not a negative post. They simply stated the obvious: the planet is overpopulated. They also mentioned owing it to children to not leave a planet in chaos.....hmmmm, now how, after reading this & interpreting it, did you come to the irrational conclusion that they should go & kill themself? Personally, I think that is offensive, insulting & reprehensible. Much worse than me saying you have a MOD CUT.
I think you are missing the point. If someone claims that the planet is over-populated, then they believe there is a number of people above some limit. If they truly believe that, then they should reduce that overage by removing themselves from that over-amount. If they do not, then they, by implication, believe someone else is part of that overage and thus they feel a superiority to that person. I do not think they should kill themselves, they themselves are either not truthful or they believe someone else should die in their stead.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-03-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,559,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daminos View Post
I think you are missing the point. If someone claims that the planet is over-populated, then they believe there is a number of people above some limit. If they truly believe that, then they should reduce that overage by removing themselves from that over-amount. If they do not, then they, by implication, believe someone else is part of that overage and thus they feel a superiority to that person. I do not think they should kill themselves, they themselves are either not truthful or they believe someone else should die in their stead.
I'm missing your point because the point you're trying to make is absurd.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,031,240 times
I didn't realize 'overpopulation' was the subject here; but then again, what do I know?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I'm one of them, no plans ever to have children. So I guess that gives me free reign to push home the problem of overpopulation, thanks!
You still do not have the right to dictate to others what they can do with respect to their progeny. Otherwise, you would seem to claim a superiority to someone else. Are you the King?

Old 06-03-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
I didn't realize 'overpopulation' was the subject here; but then again, what do I know?
It is tangentially related since the theory of human caused global warming involves humans and whether there is an over abundance of humans on this Earth.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,416 times
Quote:
Yes, he is missing the point completely...and probably always will.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:33 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,177 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "the world ... has poorly distributed resources" ?
Educational, economic, natural, etc. etc. etc.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:27 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,963,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I don't know if the world is overpopulated or just has poorly distributed resources but I think one can make the claim that the world is overpopulated without killing oneself while remaining philosophically consistent as long as the person making the claim isn't calling on others to kill themselves, either. A person with 12 kids complaining about world overpopulation might be a little hypocritical, on the other hand.
Thank you, but comments that are not constructive or thoughtful in any way may not deserve the courtesy of a response. They just point to the quality of mind of those who make them, and the fact that logic and reason are probably not frequent visitors there.

Oh, we also do not have children. There are more than enough people on this planet.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 PM

881 posts, read 1,588,796 times
Quote:
Given that Anthropogenic (Human Caused) Carbon Dioxide Emissions account for a mere 4% of the total, that the average surface temperature has increased a mere 0.4 to 0.8 degrees C in the last 100+ years, and that this temperature increase cannot be conclusively linked to increased carbon dioxide emissions, do you think that the draconian Senate Bill

GovTrack: S. 2191: Text of Legislation

is in any way warranted?

Don't you get it? The Senate bill is designed to severely damage the US economy and favor special interest groups, by causing energy prices (gasoline, heating oil for homes, diesel, electricity, etc) to soar. Speculators and energy companies will make billions more, the government will get billions in taxes, the American people and American economy will be in shambles.

Check out the latest analysis:

Institute for Energy Research » The Price of Warner-Lieberman

This bill MUST die or the economic future of the United States will be in serious trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies