Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times

Advertisements

Strangely enough, I happen to be a Hampton alumnus. What many people don't know is that it formerly had American Indian students and has always had a smattering of white students. So I was not surprised at all about the recent valedictorian at Morehouse.

And Hampton since its founding has been pro-black, but never anti-white. I hope folks can understand the difference. It is also, like most HBCU's, rather conservative.

Before I attended Hampton, I had one black instructor in my life, in gym. In my hometown, I can remember when they hired the first black garbage man. So arriving at Hampton, I was like Portnoy in Israel, if you understand the reference. I had never before seen a black secretary. Even the president was black, although there was white faculty, too. It was immensely good for my head. My drinking partners at Hampton included the eventual mayor of the capital of NJ and the president of the U of MD. Not bad for a small, black college.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:41 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Good to hear!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:10 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Strangely enough, I happen to be a Hampton alumnus. What many people don't know is that it formerly had American Indian students and has always had a smattering of white students. So I was not surprised at all about the recent valedictorian at Morehouse.

And Hampton since its founding has been pro-black, but never anti-white. I hope folks can understand the difference. It is also, like most HBCU's, rather conservative.

Before I attended Hampton, I had one black instructor in my life, in gym. In my hometown, I can remember when they hired the first black garbage man. So arriving at Hampton, I was like Portnoy in Israel, if you understand the reference. I had never before seen a black secretary. Even the president was black, although there was white faculty, too. It was immensely good for my head. My drinking partners at Hampton included the eventual mayor of the capital of NJ and the president of the U of MD. Not bad for a small, black college.
It is you whom I truly applaud! When naming the top 50 of any sport, movies, presidents, etc, the greatest vote getters are always the most recent. What few people recognize is that our ancestors who were black, white, yellow, or red each paid dearly for the advancements of our nation. Racism has no bounds, but like a cancer, to have even a chance for remission, there must be aggressive treatment. Hampton U. appears to me to aggressively going after racism and they deserve lots of applause.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

I didn't know much about the school until I looked it up for this thread. I'm impressed by what I saw about your school. As I said in an earlier post, I think other schools around the country could learn some things from what this school teaches.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
It started out as a sports story about a basketball player transferring to another school. Not knowing anything of Hampton University, I Goggled to find a wonderful surprise. Hampton is a historically Black center for excellence!! I found my tour of its website so encouraging. Here was a place where students are polished into outstanding young professional people simply by expecting the best, requiring effort, and demanding respect into personal self-discipline. What a beautiful story that all young American's need to understand, IMO.
I'm from the city that is the residence to Hampton U; Hampton, VA. As a Hampton native, i'm proud to have this elite university in my hometown. Many students dream of going to this university. I salute the people that have been blessed enough to attend Hampton University and who are using their education to make a difference in my hometown of Hampton, Virginia.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:30 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
What a wonderful thread! I wish more would take notice...

"See what you can do with your life, people??? Pull yourself up, read and get inspired by the stories, and do something RIGHT."

Old 06-05-2008, 01:14 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,779 times
Ah, but sadly enough, Hampton came across the bay last October to face our modest Spartans football team on the field of battle and alas, we had to send them home vanquished.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Ah, but sadly enough, Hampton came across the bay last October to face our modest Spartans football team on the field of battle and alas, we had to send them home vanquished.
The marching band isn't as good as Gramblings either lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
No, no, no. That's not where I was going.

See all the posts about how blacks are oppressed? How they can't get a break? How they have a hard time succeeding?

Here's a post about a college that helps black students excel, and provides a shining example of what can be accomplished with hard work.

It was even mentioned in another thread; you would think someone who was concerned with lifting blacks out of oppression would take a peek.

And now it has 28 views, and one response. Nobody's interested because it'd chip away at the excuses.
Perhaps people weren't responding because there wasn't anything to respond to. I just read it myself and since I went to an HBCU, I already knew about Hampton, so I thought this was a nice thread but didn't see a point in writing "great thread."

But if it makes you feel better: Great thread!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
After reading the OP, I looked it up and was very impressed. I wish more colleges and universities around the country would follow some of the examples they set. Good for them!
A little note:

Hampton is one of 110 historically black colleges and universities, the oldest of which Wilberforce University, has been around since 1863. Now I know from time to time, such things come as a shock to the uninformed but the historically black colleges and universities are well known by African Americans, nice to see other's catching on 150 years later.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:29 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,438,888 times
No offense- but what's the big deal? I don't see anything special about a school with an average SAT of 1054 and an acceptance rate of 77%- other than this one happens to have a dress code. Big deal? The website reads like any other college website for any school across the country.

I don't mean to be a complete downer, but I'm a bit confused as to why there is a thread dedicated to a school with such mediocre standards. Even if we're going to be heralding it as a shining light for HBCUs, why not cite Morehouse or Spelman?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies