U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:07 PM

1,305 posts, read 4,932,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Vietnam is a wreck, it's still submerged under communism and poverty.
Cruise ships are now stopping at Ho Chi Minh City. The United States has full diplomatic relations and an active, although relatively small, trade relationship. It is a poor country and the leadership is sort of stuck between their faded communist dreams and a modern, thriving economy. I expect that will improve with time; it's only been 31 years since the US pulled out. The potential for change is there; over half of the population has been born since after the end of the conflict.

The real point is that the threats outlined by the US leaders if we pulled out never materialized. The reasons given for our involvement was the infamous "domino theory"; that was as much pure fiction as the reasons now given for our invasion of Iraq.

This administration has been so wrong about so many things that the majority of the our citizens no longer believe anything they say. A poll on Lou Dobbs tonight (admittedly not scientific) indicated that 82% of the people who called in are against the "surge" proposal.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:03 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Post Don't Trust Media Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post

This administration has been so wrong about so many things that the majority of the our citizens no longer believe anything they say. A poll on Lou Dobbs tonight (admittedly not scientific) indicated that 82% of the people who called in are against the "surge" proposal.
That might be true friend. But, never ever ever trust any stats. They only survey about 1500 people. To give you an idea, there were 100 million voters who voted in 2004. Have you ever been called for a nationwide survery for whoever, CNN or somebody else, I sure haven't. There is no way of knowing where they are calling as well, a heavily Republican Area or a heavily Democratic Area. I don't ever trust the media because a guy who worked with them told me how they worked, but never ever ever trust any media corporation stats.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:47 AM

10,017 posts, read 16,694,959 times
Quote:
That might be true friend. But, never ever ever trust any stats. They only survey about 1500 people. To give you an idea, there were 100 million voters who voted in 2004. Have you ever been called for a nationwide survery for whoever, CNN or somebody else, I sure haven't. There is no way of knowing where they are calling as well, a heavily Republican Area or a heavily Democratic Area. I don't ever trust the media because a guy who worked with them told me how they worked, but never ever ever trust any media corporation stats.
I for one know that i have never been called and neither has anyone I have ever met. 1500 out of 300 million doesnt account for squat!!!! For all we know it is people the media outlet knows.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:05 AM

1,305 posts, read 4,932,413 times
Statistics is a recognized science but not for the faint at heart. Every poll that is taken has a scientifically determined margin of error and is only reliable to the extent of the margin. While there is no way to determine a possible bias, there are enough polls from enough different sources to get a pretty good idea of what is the true picture. You can choose to disbelieve them or ignore them; you can also choose to go through life with blinders and believe rumors.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:16 AM

1,701 posts, read 5,848,477 times
Quote:
Statistics is a recognized science but not for the faint at heart. Every poll that is taken has a scientifically determined margin of error and is only reliable to the extent of the margin. While there is no way to determine a possible bias, there are enough polls from enough different sources to get a pretty good idea of what is the true picture. You can choose to disbelieve them or ignore them; you can also choose to go through life with blinders and believe rumors.
I'm not showing bipartisanship at all when you give me Lou Dobbs poll of 82%. My thinking is not based on ignorance, rumors, or blinders. Ok, what my friend told me, has nothing to do with the stats at hand and could very well be wrong. Regarding the stats, there's a huge margin of error as listed from my last quote. You could even collect 20 polls of 1,500 people and it wouldn't be even slightly close to even a low to middle number of Americans out there. I didn't say the media was liberal or conservative, but they have the power to poll wherever they want, and you and I don't know where the majority of polling is coming from.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,139,459 times
Quote:
I'm not showing bipartisanship at all when you give me Lou Dobbs poll of 82%. My thinking is not based on ignorance, rumors, or blinders. Ok, what my friend told me, has nothing to do with the stats at hand and could very well be wrong. Regarding the stats, there's a huge margin of error as listed from my last quote. You could even collect 20 polls of 1,500 people and it wouldn't be even slightly close to even a low to middle number of Americans out there. I didn't say the media was liberal or conservative, but they have the power to poll wherever they want, and you and I don't know where the majority of polling is coming from.
Statisticians need to make money too.............................. lol

Old 01-18-2007, 07:49 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
I think Bush depended on the average Americans ignorance, lets face it how many vote? Ask anyone you know to name a supreme court judge, or for that matter their representative to congress. The apathy in this country is appalling as long as we have the material things we crave we tend to ignore what our politicians do unless its sexual. This President is the worse we have ever had and our future children will be living with what he has done, and I do not think they have been mistakes, they were deliberately done to us. I never liked him, nor agreed with him when he went to Iraq, and I actually am sitting here thinking we could be next on one of his lists because of anti American thoughts. Very good post and very thought provoking. Thank-you
Yes Alexander!! Right on!!

Old 01-18-2007, 10:44 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,465,817 times
True. Statistics are designed to gather as much info as possible and use them as averages. Most often these are fair and accurate.

I have been called several times on Opinion Polls and they often ask some questions that either place you in their demographic pool or exclude you from that pool--in this way they can establish the parameters for their study with fewer variables.

Statistical analyses are the backbone of all sciences and is a requisite course in many college curricula.

Quote:

Old 09-30-2007, 07:40 PM

37 posts, read 116,737 times
Plan and simple.......failure.....everyone has said it all.....good bye Mr. President

Old 09-30-2007, 08:08 PM

61 posts, read 84,832 times
Lou corncobs Dobbs-now there is a man to hang your hat on!AAAHHHHHHAAAAAAAhaha.
Hello...Ms. President,uhhh,nope,don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies