U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 04:38 PM

12,775 posts, read 7,385,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
For the love of pete when Bush is out of office in less that 2 years all will be well again. I wonder who we will blame than?????
Laughing Out Loud! If people are still blaming Clinton six years after he left office, Bush will be blamed for the next decade or two. Turnabout is fair play! (but he really will deserve it)

Old 01-08-2007, 04:46 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,700,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Kerry I disliked for many reasons. He would have been a bad President in other ways, but I don't know that he would have been any worse than Bush. (Is that possible?)

Gore. Again, not my ideal candidate, but in hindsight I have to admit I think he would have done a better job. I certainly think he would have handled 9/11 better. Say what you will about Gore -- and I could say a lot myself -- but he served his country in Vietnam while Bush was off getting a daddy deferment, and Bush Jr. couldn't even live up to that. Painting Bush as some sort of tough, good ol' boy warrior is just silly. His own military service was a disgrace. He bungled the US response to 9/11 in every way possible.

I certainly think our economy would be healthier in Gore's hands. Not only would his 9/11 response had been saner, he wouldn't have sanctioned widespread tax cuts to the wealthiest 1% of the population.

Who would I like to be President? Barring a resurrection of Thomas Jefferson, I'd have to nominate Wendell Berry.

I disagree. I think most Americans can respect a guy who isn't afraid to admit he mistakes and tries to correct them. What most Americans cannot stand is a guy who won't own up to his mistakes. That there is durn right American. And do we really want leaders driven by opinion polls? Or by conviction and honesty?

He took responsibilty for the katrina response and the crusified him for it. I dont think he would win either way. I think Gore would have been a worse President, he was a robot and I think would have been even easier to control than Bush. I think his response to 9/11 would have been to say " what do I do, help me help me!" And everyone always bashes Bush for not paying attention to the polls!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 04:54 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,473,250 times
One of several reasons Mr. Bush is the President is that Mr. Gore is a Tennessee Gentleman and wouldn't take on the battle that might have damaged this country and our constitution.

Unfortunately, our country is damaged and so is our constitution.

Al Gore is among the most intelligent politicos we have around--wooden or not, and has the courage of his convictions and the interests of the country at the forefront of his thinking.

On the other hand, Mr. Bush has his purse and the purse-strings all around him on his mind first and foremost, that is why we are in Iraq--money and family pride.

He may love his country, which is our country, but he loves his self-interest first and continues to demonstrate a false sense of pride rather than exhibit the humility of a hero.

Katrina, yup, you bet it hurt him and it sure didn't help him to have his gentile Mother talk about the folks like they were cattle in a finely hayed pen.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:57 PM

15,096 posts, read 19,737,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think Gore would have been a worse President, he was a robot and I think would have been even easier to control than Bush. I think his response to 9/11 would have been to say " what do I do, help me help me!"
A man who doesn't know what to do and asks those who do know what to do is a wise man.

Ever heard this saying? If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people. If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you. Dumb or smart (and I do think he's pretty smart), Bush has done neither.

Bush took every wrong turn he could have after 9/11. At the behest of others? Yes. Rumsfeld among them. Bush has begun a little housecleaning, which is encouraging, but I still haven't seen him own up to his mistakes and try to correct them.

Old 01-08-2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
One of several reasons Mr. Bush is the President is that Mr. Gore is a Tennessee Gentleman and wouldn't take on the battle that might have damaged this country and our constitution.
Gore did fight it all the way to the Supreme Court (which he should have), but when the Court is in the back pockets of the Bushies, he didn't stand much chance.

Kerry didn't even fight it that far. Says something about his character, I think.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
He may love his country, which is our country, but he loves his self-interest first and continues to demonstrate a false sense of pride rather than exhibit the humility of a hero.
Wow. Well said. Thank you!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 PM

1,701 posts, read 5,850,664 times
Quote:
I may add that Al Gore did not have an appealing charisma to him, I know it sounds silly, but many folks can be turned off like they they can be turned on through personality. He was a nice guy. He sure did grimace alot, almost as if he was constipated. lol

Old 01-08-2007, 05:03 PM

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this century."

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

"We're all capable of mistakes, but I do not care to enlighten you on the mistakes we may or may not have made."

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy - but that could change."

-- Vice President Al Gore, 5/22/98

We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a *part* of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a *part* of Europe."

"One word sums up probably the responsibility of any vice president, and that one word is 'to be prepared.'"

-- Vice President Al Gore, 12/6/93

"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future."

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

-- Vice President Al Gore to Sam Donaldson, 8/17/93

These are quotes from Vice president Gore.......... Bush has said some good ones, but these are much better!!!!!!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,473,250 times
Standing by one's mis-statements takes courage. If I make a mistake, and believe me I make many, it only encourages disdain from others and I for myself, when I can't admit my human-ness.

What Mr. Bush has failed to convince me is that his humanity is as fragile as mine--and that his money, ties and privilege are not worth the weight in gold of a honest man.

Old 01-08-2007, 05:09 PM

All those statements were so far off, I just laughed all the way down reading them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies