U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:26 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,712,891 times
Reputation: 2091

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
The topic that MoMark brought up is "President Bush--Success or Failure."

So many of the arguments, or discussions, then move onto former Presidents, former Vice Presidents, or men who didn't get elected to the office.

Is President Bush a good President? My response is no! He has made my life hell--my personal life hell with the introduction of the Patriot Act. He has taken away what liberties I thought I would have as I entered my sixties. Instead of enjoying my life I have to fight a herd of people at the airport, have my lunch taken away from me, have my paint taken away from, have my right to open a bank account taken away from me, have my internet services monitored, taken my tax dollars to fight two wars I don't approve of, etc, etc. etc. - as the King of Siam once said.

Now, I have no idea how any other man or woman might have served in this office -- but I do know first hand how this President has responded to issues that affect me--the little me--the common me--the tax-paying me--and probably you, too.

I understand the plane issue, although I am glad that it wont be hijacked. The taxes I understand, but the rest you will have to help me with paint, lunch, cant have a checking account?. My dad is in his 70's and hasnt been affected, neither has my mom, except taxes.

 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:32 PM
 
17 posts, read 210,142 times
Reputation: 24
President Bush should be hunted down & executed euro style after he's done. He basically ruined US and Iraq. ****ing ***.
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
 
Location: Journey's End
10,189 posts, read 24,493,747 times
Reputation: 3826
Well, I couldn't take my lunch on-board (more than 3oz) from Pittsburgh to here, even though I cried a river. I nearly got throttled by the Security Guard who was easily 6'4" and I am shrinking so probably 5"5" or less.

I had my watercolour paints taken at the DC airport, was threatened with arrest, and was only saved by a sympathetic policewoman.

I wasn't able to open a bank account in Pittsburgh because I didn't have 5 pieces of identification because I might be a terrorist--even though I had my passport. It took 3 telephone calls from my former NYS Senator to get me the right to put my own money into the bank--because there is a clause in the Patriot Act that prohibits opening accounts as easily as it once was.

When I asked what part of the Patriot Act prohibited my opening account the Senator's office said they hadn't read it. When I asked for a copy of the Act, they said it wasn't available.

Now mind you, I had just retired from the Government--working for the Republicians btw, and it was only because I knew my bloody rights that I was able to bi-pass this prohibition.

And on a daily basis, I have been inundated with indirect threats because of my association with Veterans for Peace--and told our internet service is being monitored. Veterans for Peace! ? !

Probably more that I can't even remember right now--but I am fed up with our President, or his cronies. If anyone is behaving like a Fascist, it is our government. I lived in a post-Nazi country and believe me, it isn't fun and rather frightening.
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,220,351 times
Reputation: 8833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, he is too stupid. That's why he has Tom Delay and Cheney do the 'thinking' for him.

Really, everyone should spend some time watching public television news. Corporation for Public Broadcasting, or listen to NPR on the radio. No one is going to get the REAL news watching their local stations. They are all in the hip pockets of the very people masterminding the downfall of this country. And I already know what some will say, 'NPR and CPB are left-wing liberals, yadda, yadda, yadda'. Just keep in mind that they do not MAKE UP the news. And of course, Lou Dobbs, the only person bringing these things to light on national television.

Bush is an utter failure and I still believe he is the Manchurian Candidate. Just don't know exactly who is pulling the puppet strings. Ugh! God Save Us!
Yes- Lou Dobbs tonight on NAFTA and after 12 months of working-(something Americans cannot get until after working four quarters for ten consecutive years) illegals may get social security benefits. The woman signed Freedom Of Information Act to get this "secret" info that has been kept from the public.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 01-08-2007 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: sp
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:41 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,712,891 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, I couldn't take my lunch on-board (more than 3oz) from Pittsburgh to here, even though I cried a river. I nearly got throttled by the Security Guard who was easily 6'4" and I am shrinking so probably 5"5" or less.

I had my watercolour paints taken at the DC airport, was threatened with arrest, and was only saved by a sympathetic policewoman.

I wasn't able to open a bank account in Pittsburgh because I didn't have 5 pieces of identification because I might be a terrorist--even though I had my passport. It took 3 telephone calls from my former NYS Senator to get me the right to put my own money into the bank--because there is a clause in the Patriot Act that prohibits opening accounts as easily as it once was.

When I asked what part of the Patriot Act prohibited my opening account the Senator's office said they hadn't read it. When I asked for a copy of the Act, they said it wasn't available.

Now mind you, I had just retired from the Government--working for the Republicians btw, and it was only because I knew my bloody rights that I was able to bi-pass this prohibition.

And on a daily basis, I have been inundated with indirect threats because of my association with Veterans for Peace--and told our internet service is being monitored. Veterans for Peace! ? !

Probably more that I can't even remember right now--but I am fed up with our President, or his cronies. If anyone is behaving like a Fascist, it is our government. I lived in a post-Nazi country and believe me, it isn't fun and rather frightening.


I guess you can never be to careful about the airplane afraid you might paint the seats!!, the account thing is weird though. I have never showed ID and opened them online. I am sorry you are being threatned, that isnt right. I am for peace, my father, grandfather uncle ( Pearl harbor survivor) uncle (Korea) and brother in law and step father (Vietnam) have all served I hope most are ( except it seems the middle east and N Korea!!).
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 PM
 
Location: SF, CA
431 posts, read 293,603 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I'm glad you work for a living. Thanks for adding that in! That adds to your credibility immensely! You may have noticed that the posts leading up to yours were calmly and rationally thought out without personal attacks and dramatic exaggeration. Anyone can look up the issue/s and I stand by my post, although, in your favor, my timeframe for the Mexicans to claim social security benefits was off a few months. Also, the totalization agreements made with other nations, even in your own explanation which you copy/pasted, were made with countries on par with the American economy and meant to prevent double taxation. How this would apply to Mexico is beyond me though I'm sure when you stop working for the day, you may have an answer whatever its validity.
How about keeping the personal attacks down and concentrating on less name calling and more meat in the issues? Are you one of those people who truly believes that shouting down your debating opponent or someone who doesn't agree with you makes your point more solid?
Political reality stands on facts, or the obscuring of facts, and you are, in my view, loose in your conclusions and though you claim you research the issues... your conclusions don't appear to support that statement. But it makes a great debate line!
But I would certainly appreciate a civil rebuttal instead of a childish tantrum. It's just nicer for the general tone.

I suppose President Bush called you and said, "Mark, now I'm gonna say I'm against amnesty, but I'm really for it. So here's what I'm gonna say and here's how I'll cover it up and divert attention." Yadda, yadda, yadda. Diversion tactics?? Please. He has never strayed from his illegal immigrant policy. And please don't forget that Illegals have been crossing the borders FOR DECADES! But SOMEHOW, it's all THIS President's fault. Moving on...

I'm going to defer to that wonderful quote by an unknown author (I think)...

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,712,891 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Yes- Lou Dobbs tonight on NAFTA and after 12 months of working-(something Americans cannot get until after working four quarters for ten consecutive years) illegals are now getting social security bnenefits. The woman signed Freedom Of Information Act to get this "secret" info that has been kept from the public.
WTF!!! They are??? Great now I have to move to a different country.
 
Old 01-08-2007, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Colorado
10,017 posts, read 16,712,891 times
Reputation: 2091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
I suppose President Bush called you and said, "Mark, now I'm gonna say I'm against amnesty, but I'm really for it. So here's what I'm gonna say and here's how I'll cover it up and divert attention." Yadda, yadda, yadda. Diversion tactics?? Please. He has never strayed from his illegal immigrant policy. And please don't forget that Illegals have been crossing the borders FOR DECADES! But SOMEHOW, it's all THIS President's fault. Moving on...

I'm going to defer to that wonderful quote by an unknown author (I think)...

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
Of course it is all Bush he is the only one in Charge... love the quote!!!!!!
 
Old 01-08-2007, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,506 posts, read 23,220,351 times
Reputation: 8833
Question question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Well, I couldn't take my lunch on-board (more than 3oz) from Pittsburgh to here, even though I cried a river. I nearly got throttled by the Security Guard who was easily 6'4" and I am shrinking so probably 5"5" or less.

I had my watercolour paints taken at the DC airport, was threatened with arrest, and was only saved by a sympathetic policewoman.

I wasn't able to open a bank account in Pittsburgh because I didn't have 5 pieces of identification because I might be a terrorist--even though I had my passport. It took 3 telephone calls from my former NYS Senator to get me the right to put my own money into the bank--because there is a clause in the Patriot Act that prohibits opening accounts as easily as it once was.

When I asked what part of the Patriot Act prohibited my opening account the Senator's office said they hadn't read it. When I asked for a copy of the Act, they said it wasn't available.

Now mind you, I had just retired from the Government--working for the Republicians btw, and it was only because I knew my bloody rights that I was able to bi-pass this prohibition.

And on a daily basis, I have been inundated with indirect threats because of my association with Veterans for Peace--and told our internet service is being monitored. Veterans for Peace! ? !

Probably more that I can't even remember right now--but I am fed up with our President, or his cronies. If anyone is behaving like a Fascist, it is our government. I lived in a post-Nazi country and believe me, it isn't fun and rather frightening.

FIVE pieces of ID for a bank acct? how? Besides a Passport and license how would anyone possibly have that much ID( who laminates there birth certificate from thirty plus years ago??-lol)
 
Old 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM
 
Location: N.H.
1,022 posts, read 3,151,484 times
Reputation: 453
Bush has done an awsome job. Just because some of you don't like the war you now hate Bush. Your pathetic. Our economy is doing good. Tax cuts for the working class. Housing market is good. But you complain about a war. And the pat act. Get over it. Enjoy what we have. I didn't see anthing but scandal in the Clinton years but you didn't complain then. And The economy sucked. You still didn't complain. Just think 2 more years and you will have something else to complain about. Bet if it's a Dem Pres you all Praise him with a few Exceptions anyway. Enjoy what you got ppl once Bush is gone so is alot of good things. Unfortunetly the media has you to blinded to see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top