Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM

8 posts, read 5,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
I don't think that's a bad thing. In many countries, people speak 2 or 3 languages, so why can't American kids learn 2?
Nobody is against children learning another language. We're against being FORCED to learn another language because of a third world non-White immigration policy PUSHED on us UNWANTED from our govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatless Wonder View Post
Since many native-born Americans speak spanish, why not establish truly bilingual education? Teach all of the kids in english and spanish.
What a stupid idea. The "Hispanic" population (basically non-Whites from Latin America) has gone from a small minority to the largest minority in around 20 years because of the 1965 immigration act and floods of illegals.

We should not be FORCED to learn another language because immigrant groups are not assimilating and not learning the language. The majority of the Americas is non-White (with the exception of SOUTHERN Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay -- the countries with the highest living standards) and Spanish speaking. Why should we be forced to change our demographic and language because of King Bush's short-term business interests?

I will never learn another language to speak with other "Americans"! Never!

I remember getting my hair cut and it was an African-American lady who said she spoke fluent Spanish but she said "I never use it to talk to them because they should learn English and I will never learn another language to speak to an American." I will never forget that quote because it is so true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
How is being fluent in 3 languages inefficient and annoying? Most people I know who grow up in a countries were more than one language is spoken are very fluent in one, and do fairly well in another (usually English, and if they are from Scandinavia, a couple more, what is it with them?

Immigrants assimilate in the first and second generation (children who are born here and so on), it has been like that for centuries, since people were wringing their hands about the Italians and Germans. I know and work with with loads of people who are 1st, 2nd, 3rd generation immigrants from all over the world (and on more than one occasion, for, I've had two wonderful bosses from Mexico), and those who moved here when they were children, etc. and for the most part, just as all of us, they are lovely people.

Personally, I'll be frank, I find the politics portion of this thread oddly obsessed with illegal immigration, and even more oddly obsessed with Mexico, there are other issues folks. Sheesh.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:39 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
It seems like different parts of the USA are becoming ''Balkanized''and wonder if like the Roman Empire will break apart to and form independant countries...I know that Quebec in Canada is trying to do that. Even northern Mexico hates the southern part as they call those Mexicans ''Chilangos''....
It could happen, but I lean more to a NAU as a more plausible outcome. Then there might be race wars and sectors of people groups. But something will defiantly happen that's for sure.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Personally, I'll be frank, I find the politics portion of this thread oddly obsessed with illegal immigration, and even more oddly obsessed with Mexico, there are other issues folks. Sheesh.
Illegal immigration is one of the biggest issues facing this country and threatens to destroy it. Furthermore, the overwhelming majority of illegals are from Mexico.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:22 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,951,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But that economy is built on sand. The United States has become primarily a consumer culture and service industry. The only industry in the world where we still compete is the movies. Our manufacturing base is all overseas. Even what few remain (like Toyota plans in Tennessee) are actually owned by foreign companies. Most of our ports are owned by foreign countries. Farming exists primarily as large agri-business corporations who remain profitable only by large government subsidies.

An economy built primarily on consumerism is not healthy. You have to actually produce something to give your economy a strong base. When our economic system rewards investment over labor and production, we are in trouble. And that time is now.
I agree with this statement. We need to get back to basics in this country and get up off our duffs.

And as for the map, thats more real than anyone here will admit. But it wont go without a fight, if I have to raise an army myself.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,316,005 times
A Dallas-based pizza chain which caters to the Hispanic community is accepting the Mexican currency at all of its 59 U.S. stores starting on Monday, giving the greenback some unusual competition at the cash register.

Full story here:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070108/us_nm/pesos_pizzas_usa_dc (broken link)

First the language and now the monetary sytem.
Border is getting blurrier every day.

Last edited by allydriver; 01-08-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-08-2007, 11:04 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,884 times
j33, how fortunate for you that in Chicago newcomers to our country still assimilate and embrace American values. This could not be further from the truth in Los Angeles, where I live. Generation after generation still refer to foreign lands as their home country, and never hesitate to register their distaste for all things American, particularly Americans.

I do not find the genteel business folk you live with, instead I find mysogyny, the vendetta mentality feeding violent gangs like wildfire, trashing, vandalism, and a built-in criminal mindset based upon breaking a big Federal law, that of the legal immigration process, metastasizing into thinking all laws here can be broken non-stop. You will find many of my life-anecdotes of the unpleasantness of illegals, and the genuines problems of polyglot during emergencies I've been through such as the '94 earthquake in the L.A. thread. I try to counter abstracts with reality, because the problems are real, not theory.

In my immediate neighborhood and over much of L.A., children never even hear, much less learn English until they start school because only foreign countries' tv stations, via satellite are what's heard in their homes. Lack of exposure to English used to be the case in rural American enclaves, as with your Scandiavians, a half century to a century ago, why right now in the second biggest city in the nation? Huge areas of L.A. feature little to no signage in English, not even as a courtesy. This is a very different take on living in America to be surrounded by people hostile to Americans in your own American city. I dislike intolerance, and anti-assimilationists here with antipathy towards all others not from your "home" (foreign) country is tribalism at its worst. La Raza reminds me in a sad deja vu of the bad old days of segregation, fascism's "master race," the Ku Klux Klan and any race-based system of hatred. So unlike our American ideals...

Old 01-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I dislike intolerance, and anti-assimilationists here with antipathy towards all others not from your "home" (foreign) country is tribalism at its worst. La Raza reminds me in a sad deja vu of the bad old days of segregation, fascism's "master race," the Ku Klux Klan and any race-based system of hatred. So unlike our American ideals...
Diversity and Third World immigration breed "intolerance" and "racism." If it wasn't for the crime, the violence, the social ills, that come with immigration from Third World peoples there would be none of the aforementioned.

Old 01-09-2007, 03:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry o View Post
It seems like different parts of the USA are becoming ''Balkanized''and wonder if like the Roman Empire will break apart to and form independant countries...I know that Quebec in Canada is trying to do that. Even northern Mexico hates the southern part as they call those Mexicans ''Chilangos''....

I still wish they would break off upstate NY at the top of Westchester county.
It's a different state entirely.

-TT

Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,466,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningOutOfTime View Post
Diversity and Third World immigration breed "intolerance" and "racism." .
I completely disagree. Racism is an individual decision. For example, my grandmother has made a personal decision to be racist against the black folk.
Individuals unable to control their anger and frustration over diversity and third world immigration breed "intolerance" and "racism."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies