Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

11th hour- bush regime set the tone right from the begining- you could argue it was wrong, or play the musical chairs housing game and hope you got out before the music stopped. sympathy I feel are for kids who can't afford to live in their own hometown because of greedy chits taking advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 03:04 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Loved your chicken post tho- reps for that- life is too short not to laugh. Sometimes I'm laughin with you, sometimes at you. 150% tax- is this happening in florida?
if I am not making others laugh, I am not doing my job. anyone who knows me knows that. I am not in florida. I was in the DC area when my property taxes skyrocketed. that market was one of the worst bubble markets out there. I had to move to NC to be able to afford to live, but looks like I will be moving on again. property taxes went up 11% last year for some reason. what's that reason? oh yeah, the mayor needed money for the convention center no one wanted. then the mayors company was contracted to do the construction on it. amazing how that works!

Old 06-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I understand what you are getting at. I also hate gov't handout programs. That's our money the gov't is taking and redistributing. The responsible are being punished by having to support the irresponsible. I know folks with money who got in over their head, and I know not-so well off people who are living well withing their means (including my wife and myself!) I don't so much delineate among incomes, but rather among responsibility. Sadly, gov't keeps getting bigger, more socialized gov't programs are hatched, and our taxes go up and up and up. Big Government certainly is not our friend.
hopefully they will pass the fair tax, or a program like that.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
oh trust me, it's directed at the politicians. the thread title was meant to get people in here to discuss. I live around a lot of poor people myself. you know what the majority of them have in common. they all seem to smoke, and they are heavy drinkers. that costs money. they can't afford to buy a home because they spend $400 a month getting wasted. I have no sympathy for that. people need to take responsibility for their own actions and not expect everyone else to pick up their slack. your experience with poor people might be different than mine, but that might have to do with geographic location.
I can certainly see your point, I never understood the point of spending what little discretionary income you may have on cigarettes and liquor, but I think that has more to do with the mindset that there is no way to get ahead anyway, so you may as well enjoy what you can. They don't bother me though, some realize the error in their thinking and how that just continues the cycle, others don't. But I don't personally know anyone who lives off welfare or anything that drastic, the people that I know work 50 hour weeks and they pay taxes and they send their kids to school and they would like the feeling that maybe one day they will get ahead and they hate feeling like they have worked their butts off for 30 years and still don't have a pot to you know what in. They are frustrated and angry too.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLLL98 View Post
I can certainly see your point, I never understood the point of spending what little discretionary income you may have on cigarettes and liquor, but I think that has more to do with the mindset that there is no way to get ahead anyway, so you may as well enjoy what you can. They don't bother me though, some realize the error in their thinking and how that just continues the cycle, others don't. But I don't personally know anyone who lives off welfare or anything that drastic, the people that I know work 50 hour weeks and they pay taxes and they send their kids to school and they would like the feeling that maybe one day they will get ahead and they hate feeling like they have worked their butts off for 30 years and still don't have a pot to you know what in. They are frustrated and angry too.
I live in the city. the neighborhood I live in is a good mix of people. not too far from me is the high crime areas. I shop at the same grocery store that the people in the projects shop at. I remember when I first started shopping there. I kept seeing people pull out this debit card with the american flag on it. I kept asking myself, what bank is that. hint, it's the bank of your tax dollars hard at work. these are the people who talk on their blue tooth while in line. they pay for food with the government debit card, then have plenty of cash for non essentials. then the go out into the parking lot to their decent car. sometimes a pretty nice car. this isn't something I see once in a while. EVERY time I go to the grocery store I see it. EVERY single time. I should make a documentary. if you drive by the "poor" areas of town, you see why people are poor. take a ride through at noon on a tuesday. able bodied people are just hanging out. you don't get paid to hang out. see, it didn't bother me as much before I sold my house and moved to a place where I can see first hand this so called "poverty." I can't believe some actually feel sorry for these people. if you want to see poverty, go to pakistan. go to kenya. these people who live down the street from me aren't poor. they probably have more than I do, and they haven't paid for a dime of it, I pick up the tab for that.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:23 PM

3,758 posts, read 8,438,713 times
Quote:
I live in the city. the neighborhood I live in is a good mix of people. not too far from me is the high crime areas. I shop at the same grocery store that the people in the projects shop at. I remember when I first started shopping there. I kept seeing people pull out this debit card with the american flag on it. I kept asking myself, what bank is that. hint, it's the bank of your tax dollars hard at work. these are the people who talk on their blue tooth while in line. they pay for food with the government debit card, then have plenty of cash for non essentials. then the go out into the parking lot to their decent car. sometimes a pretty nice car. this isn't something I see once in a while. EVERY time I go to the grocery store I see it. EVERY single time. I should make a documentary. if you drive by the "poor" areas of town, you see why people are poor. take a ride through at noon on a tuesday. able bodied people are just hanging out. you don't get paid to hang out. see, it didn't bother me as much before I sold my house and moved to a place where I can see first hand this so called "poverty." I can't believe some actually feel sorry for these people. if you want to see poverty, go to pakistan. go to kenya. these people who live down the street from me aren't poor. they probably have more than I do, and they haven't paid for a dime of it, I pick up the tab for that.
That frustrates me, too. We grew up poor as Joe's turkey and I was determined I wasn't going to be poor when I grew up and I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and worked my arse off all my life. I don't have much, but I am proud of what I do have and am glad I never let myself sink to the level some people have because they give up.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
if you pay your taxes, and take the steps to succeed, you have earned it. does n-sync earn their money? they sold a gimmick. does peyton manning earn his money? well, people pay to watch him. he wouldn't make that much money if someone wasn't profiting from him. there are jobs that pay low, but there is the chance for success. if you are a plumber and not making enough, start your own business and be successful. I am not wealthy. I have a 10 year old car. all I need is a roof over my head, food in my stomach, and a family that loves me. if I have that, I am just as wealthy as any person. I don't buy into the materialistic BS. unfortunately, too many other people who can't afford to, do. now I am paying the bill. between the home rescue funds, and paying for health care for children that I didn't make, it doesn't stop. it's sad. I don't complain about my job, and I can say that not a single person in here would trade places with me for any amount of money. I work HARD.
Hey man, believe me I work hard too. I am a carpenter who does happen to run his own business. But it is a sole proprietorship and I am the only employee. To answer your question, No, N-Sync does not earn their money. I can here how hard it is to be a music star all day and I still say they couldn't cut it in the real world for a day. I have a wonderful family that I take care of and that is about all I've got. But what I am really saying is that we, the little people, should be the ones bringing in the bucks because we are the ones that keep this country running. Throughout history there have always been these do nothing rich guys who get all the money and do nothing to really contribute to society. And I don't know what your job is man, but if it was all I had to keep my kids fed, I would want your job. I have never been afraid to work hard, but I still think it is about time we got our just desserts. I'm not talking about having it all, just enough so that we can relax a little and not live our lives from check to check. And if everyone would just work together, there is enough of everything for everybody to be happy. But the greed of certain people keeps that from ever happening.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 PM

16 posts, read 16,605 times
Quote:
Through out this thread you have done nothing but whine and blame the government and the poor for your problems.

Millions of others, living under the same rules as you, have been able to buy homes and new cars.

Perhaps you might try looking at yourself for the cause of your problems.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:18 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
I understand your frustration, Jim.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:13 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
please, you are a love of dictatorships. please don't compare yourself to a gnat. why don't you go do some work to get chicken banned or something because YOU don't agree with it. weren't you the lover of the ban on trans fats because in your world, the government makes you a better person.
Once again you are confused. I have never posted anything anything about trans fats. You did. It was around the time you were comparing smoking in a restaurant with chewing gum in a restaurant. Aren't you the lover of trolling this board with insane distortions of others' words, childish banter, and slippery-slope arguments that play off of fear, because in your world everyone is wrong except you? And, the government is the root of all evil. Disagreements are great and par for the course on these forums. Distortion and downright lies are the work of trolls, as it allows them to receive attention from others. This is the last attention you'll get from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies