Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Sounds like more of the CFR and Trilateral Commission paranoid junk to me. I wonder what will happen when David Rockefeller passes away, the rumors should be interesting.
I think his head is scheduled to be hacked off and cryogenically preserved with timmothy leary, the rest of his ashes flown out to space to patch up the ozone layer. But that's only hearsay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 AM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Because the two party system is compromise maximized. It makes perfect sense. Anyone who seriously considers getting involved in politics and fails to recognize that two parties is ideal is pretty goofy or sincerely trying to screw up elections.
Government apologist talk.

Quote:
And lots of fractured votes for no reason better than people being able to compromise down to two.
"fractured" votes?

Yeah, many other countries have more than 2 parties in parliament and running for high office.

What does 2 parties get us? Trillions in debt, massive bureaucracy and imminent bankruptcy.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
I'm not a fan of the two party system we have, but every third party that starts up is a fairly radical one with dolts running for office. Those fringe parties are meaningless. I've never understood why their isn't a third party that's a true viable alternative.
Because Libertarians and Constitutionalists believe in limited government intervention. Anyone who believes these people are "radical" are just government apologists with no faith in the American people. UnAmerican establishment boys who should be immediately deported.

Quote:
But think about it. If we had 3 viable parties, we'd then have coalition governments, possibly even more "politics"... It could be a god-send or it could make things worse.
Look how additional parties work in other countries, and tell me if they have MORE politics than us.

I don't think you can get more "politics" than in the US.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:59 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Because Libertarians and Constitutionalists believe in limited government intervention. Anyone who believes these people are "radical" are just government apologists with no faith in the American people. UnAmerican establishment boys who should be immediately deported.

Look how additional parties work in other countries, and tell me if they have MORE politics than us.

I don't think you can get more "politics" than in the US.
That's a good point -- but our "politics" tend to be mostly posing and rhetoric, and rarely disastrous legislation or policy-making.

Gridlock is not, intrinsically, a bad thing. The two-party system always keeps it on the agenda.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
That's a good point -- but our "politics" tend to be mostly posing and rhetoric, and rarely disastrous legislation or policy-making.

Gridlock is not, intrinsically, a bad thing. The two-party system always keeps it on the agenda.
The two party system rung up 10T in debt collaboratively.

Gridlock sometimes works, problem is there was no gridlock.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
The two party system rung up 10T in debt collaboratively.

Gridlock sometimes works, problem is there was no gridlock.
The alternative is a US-style Argentina or Italy, with thirty-five splinter groups and two new governments a year.

Only everybody has guns.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:08 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,412 times
Quote:
Government apologist talk.
It's responsible pragmatist talk, actually... but if you want to vote for Nader, please do.

Quote:
"fractured" votes?

Yeah, many other countries have more than 2 parties in parliament and running for high office.
I can't help it they're morons.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:58 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Third parties in the US tend to set their ambitions way too high. To get a viable political party going, you have to start at the VERY local level. School boards, city council seats, zoning boards, local judgeships, water commission - all the things that make up the "guts" of local governance.

Once that happens, the party should start contesting seats in the local statehouse, mayoralties, regional boards, state circuit and supreme courts, and so on.

Only then can a third party really start fielding viable candidates for national office. Otherwise, the candidates will just seem to be one-off wacky figures who suck in little more than protest votes.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
It's responsible pragmatist talk, actually... but if you want to vote for Nader, please do.
Oh yeah, government apologist AND revisionist

That must be some delicious kool-aid you're drinking.

Quote:
I can't help it they're morons.
Ah, I see. A consistent diet of playing the "lesser of two evils" shell game makes for a strong country.

Well, it DOES make a good recipe for bankrupting a nation. Something that both parties have done a marvelous job of hiding for the past 20 years.

...and maybe, just maybe, that's why the rest of the world is eating our lunch.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:44 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,937 times
Everyone complains about the system but how many people even pay attention? How many people even know who there reps. are in congress? Do they keep up with what they are doing and how they are voting? Do they call and email there reps? The problem isn't congress or the two parties. The problem is most americans are lazy and lame. They don't take part in the process and educate themselves. They'd rather just whine and complain. Hey I got an idea!!!

Go to U.S. Senate and United States House of Representatives, 110th Congress, 2nd Session and find your reps. Then bookmark there sites and read there blogs, examine there voting records, and articles about the issues. CONTACT them, do something other than whine. This isn't aimed at anyone specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies