Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 08:22 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,877 times

Advertisements

Fetal defects...as in England, where women abort after 20 weeks for things such as a clubbed foot, or cleft palate. When one determines that life is a relative term, that a child is a "parasite" in the womb, that it is not deserving of a chance at life...it is extremely telling about their outlook in the world.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:26 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
Fetal defects...as in England, where women abort after 20 weeks for things such as a clubbed foot, or cleft palate. When one determines that life is a relative term, that a child is a "parasite" in the womb, that it is not deserving of a chance at life...it is extremely telling about their outlook in the world.
See, that's where I differ with those folks. Those aren't defects. Those are challenges or problems. And if those are the worst they'll deal with, they're very lucky.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 AM

bbkaren - I would characterize these as defects in the strictest sense of the word...they're developmental abnormalities, albeit ones that are easily corrected. Even cases such as down syndrome, IMO, do not warrant abortion. Who am I to judge the life I created and determine it is not "deserving" of life? When I was pregnant my doctor tried to talk me into having various screenings done, I refused and asked why I needed them. He said "so you can make the appropriate decision on the progress of the pregnancy", I replied "so you mean, if I want to kill my child or not?", his answer "well, if you wanted to make a decision". I told him I already made the approprate decision.

The point I was making about the cleft palate and clubbed foot babies that are murdered in Britain was that once you allow abortion for one deformity, it won't be long until those so depraved of humanity choose to abort for whatever reason at all...a small abnormality will become reason enough to abort to avoid the inconvenience of a disabled child or one that requires some extra love and care.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:37 AM

Like aborting a child for having brown eyes instead of blue...or a girl instead of a boy. Imagine that happening!

I understand your point about the definition of defect and I agree--those are minor and certainly fixable.

Old 06-10-2008, 10:45 AM

2,265 posts, read 3,732,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Well boys, don't like abortion, USE birth control. I'm a bit tired of men complaining about the womens right to choose. Men also have the right to choose by using birth control. Simple isn't it?
Barring being the result of rape or at risk for serious illness or death getting an abortion is an exercise in immaturity and irresponsibility. If they're not willing to have the child they shouldn't be having sex.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 AM

In many cases it's just another indication of the pathetic state of personal accountability that we tolerate, nay encourage, nowadays.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:31 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
So random clumps of cells in and on your body have a heartbeat and brainwaves? Good god woman get yourself to a freakshow --- theres money to be made
LOL...Okay, I can't rep you but that was funny!

Old 06-10-2008, 11:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
So now we call it exceptional assistance? Like babies just born after 9 months, or people who are too mentally retarded to feed themselves? I call that murder. It's nice to know that some people here support murder. Hence the name, "Pro-death."
Actually, it's called pro-choice.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:02 PM

Does "viability" have anything to do with whether the baby is in or out of the body?

If a baby is born at 22 weeks and is requiring "exceptional assistance" and two weeks later it's decided that he's always going to need care, and mom and dad decide it's not worth the effort, is it okay to kill him? At that point he's at 24 weeks.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
So now we call it exceptional assistance? Like babies just born after 9 months, or people who are too mentally retarded to feed themselves? I call that murder. It's nice to know that some people here support murder. Hence the name, "Pro-death."
Hmmm...reminds me of something...

October 1939 - Nazis Begin Euthanasia on Sick and Disabled

Quote:
The Nazi euthanasia program to eliminate "life unworthy of life" at first focused on newborns and very young children. Midwives and doctors were required to register children up to age three who showed symptoms of mental retardation, physical deformity, or other symptoms included on a questionnaire from the Reich Health Ministry.

A decision on whether to allow the child to live was then made by three medical experts solely on the basis of the questionnaire, without any examination and without reading any medical records.

The Nazi euthanasia program quickly expanded to include older disabled children and adults. Hitler's decree of October, 1939, typed on his personal stationery and back dated to Sept. 1, enlarged "the authority of certain physicians to be designated by name in such manner that persons who, according to human judgment, are incurable can, upon a most careful diagnosis of their condition of sickness, be accorded a mercy death."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies