Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:18 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times

Advertisements

I'm a bit ignorant on the issue, who has an educated opinion to share about Kosovo's independence and the riots today in Belgrade? They've set fire to the American embassy... how should we react?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,753,677 times
Pull out and leave them to their own devices. Just like we should do/should have done so many other places.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
Pull out and leave them to their own devices. Just like we should do/should have done so many other places.
I don't like our World-Police style of foreign policy, but I don't think isolationism is practical either, in this day and age.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 PM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
I don't like our World-Police style of foreign policy, but I don't think isolationism is practical either, in this day and age.

Isolationism? We are by no means isolating ourselves, by not meddling in their silliness. We should leave them to their own devices and continue to freely trade with their country, that is all we should ever do, unless attacked.

Isolationism-would refer to Japan pre 1880, it was completely closed off to the rest of the world. It only allowed a little bit of trade and only a few toursit, that is Isolationism. I'm not sure how you can even come close to relating that to the United States!

Also you don't like our "World Policy" of policing other nations (which i hate), but you then say I do not think "isolationism" is a good policy, that statement does not make any sense whatsoever. You're either for us going around an attempting to police the world or you're not, which is it?

Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 997,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
We are by no means isolating ourselves, by not meddling in their silliness. We should leave them to their own devices and continue to freely trade with their country, that is all we should ever do, unless attacked.
This, right here, should be the sum total of our foreign policy.
That simple.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Isolationism? We are by no means isolating ourselves, by not meddling in their silliness. We should leave them to their own devices and continue to freely trade with their country, that is all we should ever do, unless attacked.

Isolationism-would refer to Japan pre 1880, it was completely closed off to the rest of the world. It only allowed a little bit of trade and only a few toursit, that is Isolationism. I'm not sure how you can even come close to relating that to the United States!

Also you don't like our "World Policy" of policing other nations (which i hate), but you then say I do not think "isolationism" is a good policy, that statement does not make any sense whatsoever. You're either for us going around an attempting to police the world or you're not, which is it?
If only it were that simple. Not everything is that black and white, it's not just one or the other.

Militarily: There are many degrees in between world-police and isolationism. I think we should work with our allies to stabalize volatile situations. World policing is instigating volatility to replace governments with those of our liking, like Reagan era South America operations. I was not referring to Japan pre 1880 - that's not the only definition of isolationism. I was thinking more like United States circa 1940.

Economically: You say you're for free trade, well what happens when our economy relies heavily on trade with a particular nation, then seperatist rebels come throw a wrench in it and Americans start going hungry? And what do you mean by "freely trade?" Should we have isolationst policies with tariffs that focus on protecting domestic industry, or absolute free trade and one global economy?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
I was going to come in here and stand on my soap box and preach non-interventionism, but looks like it has been covered.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
It appears they found a charred body inside the embassy.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I pretty much knew this was coming a few days ago.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Let me clarify myself before I open up a debate. I'm not saying we should or should not be in Serbia's business. As I said in my OP, I'm a bit ignorant on the issue. I don't feel passionately one way or the other and I'd like to hear more on this particular issue and not stray off topic, as I began to, with generalities and philosophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies