Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 02:19 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,392,840 times

Advertisements

it has been a epidemic in the UK recently also............

Japan questions itself over mass murderer | BreakingNews.ie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 02:32 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
it has been a epidemic in the UK recently also............

Japan questions itself over mass murderer | BreakingNews.ie
see what happens with gun control? a killer is going to find a way to kill.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:36 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
At least they're looking at themselves as a nation and this being a national problem.
Big difference from the US where murders are accepted as a cultural norm.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:30 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,413,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
At least they're looking at themselves as a nation and this being a national problem.
America hating? Our culture celebrates individual accomplishment. It's only normal that we give the responsibility of failure to the individual. Whereas, the Japanese are very community oriented. They don't accept personal celebration for accomplishment like we do... so they don't assign blame to individuals like we do. (I doubt most Americans could even endure the level of shame required to maintain the Japanese lifestyle without becoming self-destructive. None of the feel-good stuff about celebrating the individual goes on there in the main-stream like it does here.)

Your assertion is both an attack against our unwillingness to apply national blame as it is against celebrating the individual for their accomplishments.

Anyway, I was wondering if this story was going to come up. I suppose the anti-Constitution segment of the country are leaning towards banning automobiles now.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,725,532 times
Anyway, I was wondering if this story was going to come up. I suppose the anti-Constitution segment of the country are leaning towards banning automobiles now.[/quote]

Along with guns, knives and God.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:54 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,953,961 times
I read about this as well, quite shocking that this type of violence is spreading to places like Japan, I thought their homogeneous society was going to be able to protect them.

It's sad to see, I get the impression that the younger generation feels very disconnected from the traditional Japanes values. It seems the "progress" that they have made is coming with some painful realities.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:25 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
I wouldn't be too concerned. Like the saying goes, the plural form of "anecdote" is not "data." If you want to know how well your particular state or country is doing in terms of public safety, you'd have to look at the overall annual rate of homicide, rather than a particular incident.

For example, in the same year that New Hampshire recorded the lowest homicide rate in America, it also had a shooting that killed a police officer, and a "family annihilation" by a crazy guy that killed several children. Those were terrible incidents, but the rate of murder ended up being quite low.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:29 PM

148 posts, read 471,574 times
The Japanese government is truly ridiculous:

"The government vowed to impose greater controls on access and possession of large knives like the one Kato used, while taking steps to provide better security for crowded public places."

What are they going to do, force people to register/license any sharp object? Will the sushi chefs have to register their butcher knives? Do they realize how simple it is to make a sharpened knife like weapon?

Dude was a nutcase, case closed. Guns and knives aren't the only method of killing people. Are they forgetting the truck he used to ram into the crowd? I'm sure the people who knew him will look back and realize that he had issues, symptoms, and tell tales signs of being a kook.

The Japanese who think that their country is so safe and crime free, though, are truly the most absurd and in denial. These events happen everywhere, in fact Japan has had quite a nice run on mass killings - the Tokyo death cult/poison gas attacks, school girls on a murder spree, murderous school boys, the suicide pacts, the homeless murders...

Old 06-11-2008, 05:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Quote:
The Japanese who think that their country is so safe and crime free, though, are truly the most absurd and in denial.
If you go by murder rate, that's a fair statement. Japan's annual rate of homicide is about 0.06 killings per 100,000 people per year. Japan had a total of three shooting deaths in 2006.

The US rate in 2007 was 5.7 per 100,000.

Singular incidents don't make much of a difference in countries of 127 million, like Japan, or 303 million, like the US. Recall that in 1999, the peak year for high school shootings, the annual murder rate in the US actually posted a substantial decline compared to the murder rate in 1998.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:48 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Same old..same old. yawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies