Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were Native Americans the victims of Genocide by the United States of America?
Yes 184 67.65%
No 88 32.35%
Voters: 272. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 PM

194 posts, read 299,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
How people can be so comfortable about a genocide happening on American soil beats me...
It's what they were taught. All the more reason why we need good history teachers, especially for children of color, who are forced to sit through this revisionary "yay whitey" crap for 13 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
The main reason the Jewish people were nearly exterminated was because they were duped into believing if they did what they were told they would survive.
I love how the history books ignore the fact that Europeans tried to "settle" what we know as Africa and Asia and got their behinds DESTROYED. I guess that doesn't make the ancient Europeans look too good, so they rely on Manifest Destiny, which was little more than murdering a bunch of red and brown people who made the mistake of taking them into their ranks. Say what you want, but Africa is still full of Africans and Asia is still full of Asians. The U.S. is full of...non-natives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 03:53 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Give me an example of any Indian nation that The United States government exterminated or even attempted to exterminate. You can't.

Actually, I can. The Karankowa tribe was attacked and exterminated in the Texas territory shortly after the annexation of the territory by the US. A joint US/Texan retaliation party attacked the last remaining tribal village and killed every man, woman and child they found.

This was in retalliation to a fraudulent report of an indian attack on a settlement. It was later found to be totally made up in order to stir up trouble.

I am away from home and unfortunately cannot put hands on any documentation for this at the moment, but references are documented in James Mitchner's novel 'Texas' and can be located without too much difficulty at any university library or possible online.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BButrell View Post
I love how the history books ignore the fact that Europeans tried to "settle" what we know as Africa and Asia and got their behinds DESTROYED. I guess that doesn't make the ancient Europeans look too good, so they rely on Manifest Destiny, which was little more than murdering a bunch of red and brown people who made the mistake of taking them into their ranks. Say what you want, but Africa is still full of Africans and Asia is still full of Asians. The U.S. is full of...non-natives.
Interesting how you glossed over the 14th century invasion of Dutch settlers to southern Africa who lived successfully in harmony with many African tribes and eliminated those that would not co-exist. Remember those dreaded Boers? Those Europeans held their conquered territory against all comers until after WWI when they lost their hold to the English when they joined the Kaisers alliance against the Allied forces. They were not forced from complete power until after WWII when apartide was initiated and a new political power ousted even the original power families out of control.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 PM

194 posts, read 299,156 times
Gloss over? What's to gloss over? Whites and people of color have been able to co-exist peacefully since the beginning of time. I've never suggested otherwise. But I recognize your need to defend the great European people, so go ahead, by all means. I haven't even lunch today.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
I love how the history books ignore the fact that Europeans tried to "settle" what we know as Africa and Asia and got their behinds DESTROYED.
Quote:
Gloss over? What's to gloss over? Whites and people of color have been able to co-exist peacefully since the beginning of time. I've never suggested otherwise. But I recognize your need to defend the great European people, so go ahead, by all means. I haven't even lunch today.
Sorry if you did not communicate your intent very well. It seemed by your statement regarding getting their "behinds DESTROYED" that you were ignoring over 500 years of European settlement in Africa that only ended by the intervention of another European influence rather than by the indigenous peoples.

I am not sure what defending I am supposed to be doing by pointing out your ommissions, but so be it. Consider truth and fact defended from..... What exactly am I defending against? Other than a single omission I am not sure what I said to make you believe I am defending against anything. Apparently you believe you attacked something I am to defend. Could you please repeat your attack? I am afraid I missed it somehow. I just thought you were being incomplete in your comments and skewing the facts in a way inconsistent with the reality of the history.

Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
ultimatly big hairy buttt deal what does it matter? The world is what it is. There is nothing I'm ashamed of.I actually LOVE my country and would live no where else on Gods green earth.........

Old 07-30-2008, 04:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
no genocide but definitely broken treaties, bad treatment lots of it lack of concern of the health and well being of the indian allowing things to happen that hurt the indians.
kind of like letting foreigners take all our jobs and then ripping off all our pension funds or devaluing them by war debt inflation? wow where did that come from. wait a minute that can't be, we are the good guys right?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Thr Chinese who worked on the Central Pacific were well paid and well fed and though the work was often dangerous that was nothing unusual in those days.

The Karankawas were destroyed mostly by other Indians and the Texians, if The United States government was involved in their extermination I'm unaware of it. The Karankawas were noted cannibals and had plenty of enemies and their numbers were reduced to the verge of extinction even before Texas became a state. Note that the Republic of Texas was VERY hostile to and aggressive against Indians. But I wouldn't rule out that The United States was in at the end.

I've already explained that ole Uncle Billy Sherman talked a lot tougher than he acted. During the War of the Rebellion he talked about exterminating the White planter class but he didn't do that either.

Anybody who feels THAT bad about what The United States did to the Indians is free to put their money where their mouth is and turn over their property to the local Indians and get a ticket back to Europe or Africa or wherever your people came from. Go ahead, have a field day.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:45 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
I would not call it genocide, because the truth is, something like 90%-95% of all Indian deaths were because of old world diseases coming to the new world.
Guns Germs & Steel: Variables. Smallpox | PBS

And before we trounce out stories of smallpox blankets, please note that such accounts are both extremely rare AND disputed as to their factual accuracy:

Ward Churchill academic misconduct investigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not saying that what the settlers (and no, not just "white men," for all those exasperating multi-culti pansies who sat in the front row of freshman sociology class and learned to hate themselves and their country) did to the Natives was "right," and indeed, in many cases the goal was very much to "wipe out" a population from a particular area.... but disease did the vast vast vast majority of the killing.

Reparations to Native people in the form of reservation infrastructure and cultural development are due for those that have not yet received it.

But... in the end, such is the history of world: conquer, subjugation, slavery, etc. etc. etc. (again, not just Europeans. Western Europeans were actually kind of late in the game, and being most recent with the most potent weaponry, were simply more effective at the bad stuff than their predecessors). Never judge history through today's standards, because "history" will always look awful. What we take as normal and right "today" will be next millenium's hot guilt topic du jour.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I would not call it genocide, because the truth is, something like 90%-95% of all Indian deaths were because of old world diseases coming to the new world.
Guns Germs & Steel: Variables. Smallpox | PBS

And before we trounce out stories of smallpox blankets, please note that such accounts are both extremely rare AND disputed as to their factual accuracy:

Ward Churchill academic misconduct investigation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not saying that what the settlers (and no, not just "white men," for all those exasperating multi-culti pansies who sat in the front row of freshman sociology class and learned to hate themselves and their country) did to the Natives was "right," and indeed, in many cases the goal was very much to "wipe out" a population from a particular area.... but disease did the vast vast vast majority of the killing.

Reparations to Native people in the form of reservation infrastructure and cultural development are due for those that have not yet received it.

But... in the end, such is the history of world: conquer, subjugation, slavery, etc. etc. etc. (again, not just Europeans. Western Europeans were actually kind of late in the game, and being most recent with the most potent weaponry, were simply more effective at the bad stuff than their predecessors). Never judge history through today's standards, because "history" will always look awful. What we take as normal and right "today" will be next millenium's hot guilt topic du jour.
Excellent post. My compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies