U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,599,199 times

Advertisements

Many people would never argue against a program that helps them or a family member personally. Very few of us anyway. So in this post, I will be one of the few- and the proud!
My daughter, who is a teenager, works for Six Flags Over Georgia. What she does is make about $10 an hour wearing a silly charactor costume and hanging aorund guest in the park. I am not knocking her pay- she earns it. It is hot work and the costumes are hot and heavy.
But at the end of the year (Halloween) when the park closes for the winter, she gets a letter telling her to apply for unemployment. She did last year and collected it most of the winter while she was still in high school!
OK, if they are giving it, then get it BUT it is my view that, if you accept a "Seasonal" job and you know that the job will end, why are you entitled to unemployment? I always thought that the purpose of unemployment was to help people that lost steady permanent jobs through no fault of their own. If you knowingly accept a job that you know will end on Halloween night, that is a bit different than being layed off from the local factory isn't it?
If you go to work for a temp agency and the temp position is for 3 months and it ends, do you also get unemployment? I don't think such people should. But my daughter probably would not be happy with my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 PM

8,575 posts, read 2,286,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Many people would never argue against a program that helps them or a family member personally. Very few of us anyway. So in this post, I will be one of the few- and the proud!
My daughter, who is a teenager, works for Six Flags Over Georgia. What she does is make about $10 an hour wearing a silly charactor costume and hanging aorund guest in the park. I am not knocking her pay- she earns it. It is hot work and the costumes are hot and heavy.
But at the end of the year (Halloween) when the park closes for the winter, she gets a letter telling her to apply for unemployment. She did last year and collected it most of the winter while she was still in high school!
OK, if they are giving it, then get it BUT it is my view that, if you accept a "Seasonal" job and you know that the job will end, why are you entitled to unemployment? I always thought that the purpose of unemployment was to help people that lost steady permanent jobs through no fault of their own. If you knowingly accept a job that you know will end on Halloween night, that is a bit different than being layed off from the local factory isn't it?
If you go to work for a temp agency and the temp position is for 3 months and it ends, do you also get unemployment? I don't think such people should. But my daughter probably would not be happy with my opinion.
unemployment is a good way of getting back some of the tax money the federal government steals from you.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:46 PM

13,461 posts, read 16,136,408 times
I thought that there were minimum continuous employment periods for eligibility, I guess this could vary by state though.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:18 AM

2,260 posts, read 2,381,809 times
our unemployemnt is around 5.5%, Arguably 95% is considered full employment in our country. With the 4-5% representing seasonal or those unable to work.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:08 AM

3,674 posts, read 7,075,971 times
Quote:
I have no problem with people receiving unemployment from seasonal work, but to remain eligible, one has to able & willing to work full time and conducting and earnest & active job search. If not, they do not qualify. But to receive it while a student may be in violation of the laws that govern eligiblity.

I live in Oregon and used to work for the employment department. Oregon has a tremendous amount of seasonal workers (people in the ski resport industry in the winter and other outdoor recreation industries in the summer) as well as migrant seasonal farmworkers. When their season is over, work is often hard to find and many of these folks receive unemployment benifits. But most of them also look for, and accept, work along the way out of season. If not, we often had to cut them off and some even had to pay fines.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 AM

7,631 posts, read 10,857,106 times
Quote:
If the agency cannot obtain another temp assignment for you and you have worked long enough to meet the time requirement for unemployment benefits, then yes, you do receive it. Your job is as a temp and your employer is the temp agency. If they cannot find you sustenance, its basically the same as being layed off.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 AM

10,526 posts, read 11,205,700 times
Quote:
Yes, I used to work at a temp agency, and part of my job was to actually go to the unemployment hearings to contest. If they did not get an assignment after their current one ended, they could apply for unemployment. However, we kept a computer file of all assignments offered to them after the initial assignment ended, and they would frequently turn them down (for reasons like it was $1 less an hour in pay). If they turned down the assignments, they would be denied unemployment.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:04 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,676,565 times
In Illinois you can't collect if you're going to school and you must also be looking for work or working from a hiring hall.

Perhaps working from a temp agency is treated like working from a hiring hall, the situation seems quite similar.

In any event these things vary by state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies