U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 PM

281 posts, read 384,706 times

Advertisements

^ Just two posts later and I have all the proof I need. I rest my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,857 times
Default Almost right

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
They're clueless as to what a real liberal is and want to keep clinging to false stereotypes. As a liberal, I want people on welfare to raise above it soon, with help from the government, if needed and not stay on it. As a liberal I know what little welfare offers is too limiting for someone to keep clinging too. After all, I have seen the movie "Million Dollar Baby" and know how it is.
I didn't have to see million dollar baby to see the damage an unrestrained welfare system wrought on people. I actually grew up in what was called the ghetto in the bronx N.Y. My family was poor but both parents worked their asses off and didn't go on public assistance. I did see many of my friends families on welfare through 3 generations. State public assistance for a period of time is fine but the fed is and always will be inefficient and inept. According to the constitution this is not a fed issue. According to the tenth amendment the states have the power over regulating taxing, passing laws concerning education, marriage, divorce, contracts,inheritances, corporations, state courts and regulating health, morals, safety, and public welfare along with any power not exclusive to the fed. govt. or that are not specifically denied the states by the constitution. If we actually insisted our representatives in the fed. govt. obey the constitution we would all be much better off. I leave you with a quote
'The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not'

Thomas Jefferson
What would he say about this matter

Old 02-12-2009, 07:22 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,651,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Without Making any name drops ,, ppl, parties, Or professional Definition. What is Your Idea of a liberal, What do they stand for, and How do they act politicaly? No mention of media either. LOL
My basic definition is this:

LIBERAL: A person that believes the good of the whole takes precedence over the desire of the individual. The good of the citizenry triumphs the desires of the individual. Example- the citizens right to clean air triumphs your desire for a monster SUV. The citizens right to clean water triumphs your desire to flush raw sewage in the river. The public's right to convenience takes precedence over your right to private property.
For the most part I am a liberal but in some areas I am a conservative- such as in the right to a gun and the right not to have your property siezed for anything but public use.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post
One that IS FOR:
Abortion
Euthanasia
Anti-God
Illegal Immigration
Homosexuals/Lesbians

I could go on and on with a whole host of others, but those are for starters. Liberals know who they are
Yep I am all that. I fully support the right to have an abortion- especially in the first 3 months of pregnancy. I fully support the right of somebody to end their life whenever they feel the need to do so. I am not anti God, I am anti organized religion (God made us all the same, religion is what made us different). I am pro amnesty for illegal immigrants who work, pay taxes and have not had any trouble with the law BUT I want future illegal immigration stopped. And I am fully for the rights of gays, lesbians and those who have yet to figure out what they are. I am opposed to gay or straight marriage because I think marriage is a function of the church and not the state. The state should only issue domestic partnerships and to any adults that request them.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,357 times
Liberals screw up the country and then blame everything on the republican party!!! They cant blame everything on bush anymore now that obamas president, but i wouldent be surprised if they try.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
According to many replies on the site, people believe liberals are completely in support of illegal immigration, and do not want law enforcement cracking down on it. I am a Registered Republican, but anyone can realize that is simply not true. A liberal or not, I would be astonished by the political incorrectness.
What I want is a realistic approach to this problem. There are 12 to 16 million of them in this country. Blame who you want for that- Bush, Clinton, Bush I or even Reagan. All of them turned their back to this problem when these people snuck in. And, to be honest, most of us did too. Times were good and we needed them to do the dirty work none of us would want to do.
These people are here, many of them have been here for years, have children here and they are not going to go back to Mexico no matter how bad some people want them too.
And they can build all the fences on the border they want- it will only serve to slow them down when they sneak in. And many of them did not even sneak in. They came on visas and just never left.
The best approach to this is to give those that are here, work, pay taxes and have not had ANY trouble with the law an amnesty- a conditional "probationary" residence that will lead to becoming a Permanent Resident and evetually a citizen over a period of 10 years provided that they learn at least basic English and stay out of trouble with the law- including things like stealing or DUI.
This would be coupled with TOUGH new laws that would make hiring an illegal a criminal offense and any businesses caught with them would face multi million dollar fines, asset seizures and jail for those who hire them. The same would apply to anybody leasing an apartment to them or aiding them in any way except emergency medical services. It is the jobs that lure them here and if the jobs go away, they will not come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies