Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,948,625 times

Advertisements

What Happened to separation of church and state.. Show me where it states that in our Constitution.

The text of the amendment reads as follows:
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Now many people confuse this with a letter Jefferson wrote after the fact..

Quote:
I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
Other than that.. some interresting post here..im learning what it means to be liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
What Happened to separation of church and state.. Show me where it states that in our Constitution.

The text of the amendment reads as follows:

Now many people confuse this with a letter Jefferson wrote after the fact..
Yes, you are 100% correct... but it is considered an "off-shoot" to the freedom of religion - or lack thereof. And the Supreme Court has mandated it on a number of cases, but I'd have to drag up sources for that.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
Without Making any name drops ,, ppl, parties, Or professional Definition. What is Your Idea of a liberal, What do they stand for, and How do they act politicaly? No mention of media either. LOL
I just got called into work so I'll have to make this fast.
I think today's liberal has a lot of "shoulds" going on in his or her head.
People who have liberal tendencies might vote for "nanny" type laws.
I agree with a lot of what Alexander said, if not all--also what gizmo said about selfishness.
I think liberals care more about people as a group rather than just their own little spot on planet earth, there is more of a social conscience.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:06 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
I think now I am even more confused as to what I consider myself.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:14 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I think now I am even more confused as to what I consider myself.
LOL... consider yourself to be you, whatever beliefs that might include. That's why I refuse to pick a party, since I really don't follow any of them "to the tee". We're all human, and that means we'll have different views - even if you vote the same way.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
LOL... consider yourself to be you, whatever beliefs that might include. That's why I refuse to pick a party, since I really don't follow any of them "to the tee". We're all human, and that means we'll have different views - even if you vote the same way.
Labels are for canned goods. You CAN label something that will always remain the same, but not human thoughts and emotions. Reps and dems have completely flipped sides in the last 200 years (wigs and tories). The only thing you can really label those that follow a party and not the issues is "sheep", or my favorite... "lemmings".

-TT

Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Yepcity I agree. As far as the ACLU just like any other they are power hungry I don't agree with all the stand for. I would be embrassed to be a card carrying ACLU i will keep my NRA card.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
Clearly the volume of responses and how they differ indicates a misunderstood label. Neither liberal or conservative, I advocate for social justice, and that includes tolerance for many societal issues that may appear "liberal."

I''d rather have illegal drugs legalized and tax it than have the criminal mentality profit by it.

I'd prefer to have prostitution legalized so that fewer people are shunned, and even less get diseased and spread it into the larger population.

I believe we all should have choice, and that your choice is your right, and not my business to denounce. Choice that is responsible choice, so if you decide to commit a murder, I won't support you, but if you decide to have blue hair, and it doesn't affect anyone but you, I support your difference.

Fundamentally, I feel we prosper when our neighbour prospers, and that taxes are intended to benefit, not undermine the whole. It is taxation without representation that negatively affects the community.

I strongly believe in self-reliance, but if my neighbour is in trouble, I would rather tithe them into health than ignore their sorrow and misfortune.

I would rather acknowledge man's frailty than deny it, and suffer a lie or a conceit that men is without frailty.

I am neither liberal or conservative, I am progressive--forward looking, attempting to prevent rather than sanction what has not worked.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:49 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So I'm going to Hell? Aw darnit, I hate hot weather! If I did believe in Jesus, I'd hope he showed more tolerance and love toward people of different faiths... this is how "holy wars" get started, when we think anyone is DOOMED if they follow a different book. And fyi, I don't believe in that load of you-know-what about "love the sinner, not the sin"... in my humble opinion, that's just a nicer way to hate & judge someone. (not that you said this exactly, but it's usually the next comment in these types of discussions. )
No, holy wars get started when those who hold particular beliefs tie them into enforcing those beliefs onto unwilling others usually as a social or political control mechanism. It's an excuse to accomplish an earthly, not heavenly, goal. Northern Ireland was never about religion though it was portrayed as such. Iraq is not about religion truly, it's about political power and rivalries between competing factions who are sects of the same religion. I made a clear distinction between my personal and private beliefs and my tolerance of others to decide their own. I'm surprised you missed that.
As for Jews, no, they are under special covenant with God.
You're right though that people take off quickly on this and speed forward to abuse others based on their own beliefs. I do not.

Last edited by MoMark; 01-10-2007 at 09:21 AM..

Old 01-10-2007, 08:55 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
someone once said ( Cant remember who)
Where there is Religion there will be war. it is a war of violence or words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies