Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Guantanamo Detainees Have Any Right?
Yes 47 60.26%
No 31 39.74%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:30 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I thank you for your confession. Now look in the mirror and realize who it was you were accusing.

Dems never agree on anything with solidarity, but when they do agree, and repubs and libertarians agree with them, suddenly we're "lock step"? I can understand you feel threatened, losing your blankie, that facist tactics won't be allowed here anymore once bush leaves office and democracy is restored, but to hide behind the very flag you're spitting on is morally repugnant.
I thank you for the personal attack, however I believe you are misled on many things. The terrorists held at Gitmo are a threat to the US much the way that several captured Nazis were here in WW2. Those Nazis were executed, but today we have crackpot lib lawyers running down to protect those who have tried to cause harm to our nation. Thank you for proving my point about anti American commies who deficate on the flag far left libs. Threatened? If some domestic terrorist comes on my property and tries to harm me, I would shoot him! Thank GOD for the 2nd amendment, one of the few rights the libs have not been able to come close to taking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:33 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
They are POWs. However, given their chosen methods of warfare, they do not fall under the Geneva Convention. Even with that distinction, there is no evidence of maltreatment.

You're playing semantics. I don't care of if you want to call it a concentration camp or a military prison or a pow camp, you're talking about the systematic mistreatment of people and there is no evidence, after many investigations, to support your claim.

The Geneva Convention clearly states who it covers, and these people are not covered by it. They do not fall under the convention because of the way they choose to fight, not because of anything we created.
  • (Article 5): "Should any doubt arise whether persons, having committed a belligerent act..." is a prisoner of war "...such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal."
Please tell me when these individuals were brought before a competent tribunal. They are covered in any case either as civilian or as combatants.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
What outrages you more??
Our offenses, because we have 100% control over how we treat prisoners.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
  • (Article 5): "Should any doubt arise whether persons, having committed a belligerent act..." is a prisoner of war "...such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal."
Please tell me when these individuals were brought before a competent tribunal. They are covered in any case either as civilian or as combatants.
"Should any doubt arise" - Article 4 eliminates any doubt.

Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
"Should any doubt arise" - Article 4 eliminates any doubt.

Members of other militias and members of other volunteer corps, including those of organized resistance movements, belonging to a Party to the conflict and operating in or outside their own territory, even if this territory is occupied, provided that such militias or volunteer corps, including such organized resistance movements, fulfil the following conditions:

(a) That of being commanded by a person responsible for his subordinates;

(b) That of having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance;

(c) That of carrying arms openly;

(d) That of conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war.
You should actually read the convention. The people captured in Afghanistan are covered by this additional section:

(Article 4) "Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy"
  • "Members of the armed forces"
  • "militias...including those of organized resistance movements...having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance...conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war"
  • "Persons who accompany the armed forces"
  • "Members of crews...of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft"
  • "Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war."
Further under the various conventions a prisoner has the right to challenge his classification before a tribunal. If a prisoner has not been afforded this right he has to be treated as a POW.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
You should actually read the convention. The people captured in Afghanistan are covered by this additional section:

(Article 4) "Prisoners of war, in the sense of the present Convention, are persons belonging to one of the following categories, who have fallen into the power of the enemy"
  • "Members of the armed forces"
  • "militias...including those of organized resistance movements...having a fixed distinctive sign recognizable at a distance...conducting their operations in accordance with the laws and customs of war"
  • "Persons who accompany the armed forces"
  • "Members of crews...of the merchant marine and the crews of civil aircraft"
  • "Inhabitants of a non-occupied territory, who on the approach of the enemy spontaneously take up arms to resist the invading forces, without having had time to form themselves into regular armed units, provided they carry arms openly and respect the laws and customs of war."
Further under the various conventions a prisoner has the right to challenge his classification before a tribunal. If a prisoner has not been afforded this right he has to be treated as a POW.
I have read it. The Taliban and Al Qaeda did not spontaneously take up arms.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I have read it. The Taliban and Al Qaeda did not spontaneously take up arms.
Until the prisoners in Gitmo have had the opportunity to challenge that statement before a tribunal, they are required to receive all the protections of a POW.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:04 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
They have NO rights at all, they are prisoners and should be treated as such.
They are not Americans and have no rights like some idiots want to give them.
They are our enemies and should be treated like enemies. No rights, lucky to be alive and time to give them a permanent home there.
Any American who believes they have rights and gives them the same rights as me and you should be deported as a traitor.
Really? Did it ever occur to you that some of those people in there are absolutely innocent? That they've been lingering, holed up in some piece of crap prison w/no say in the matter for SIX YEARS!!!!! You see no problem w/that??????? I think it's horrifying & I can't even imagine the mental state that those innocent people must be in by now. All in the name of "terrorism". That's BS & if these people were U.S. citizens in a similar situation, you know damn well the **** would've been hitting the fan a long time ago.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Really? Did it ever occur to you that some of those people in there are absolutely innocent? That they've been lingering, holed up in some piece of crap prison w/no say in the matter for SIX YEARS!!!!! You see no problem w/that??????? I think it's horrifying & I can't even imagine the mental state that those innocent people must be in by now. All in the name of "terrorism". That's BS & if these people were U.S. citizens in a similar situation, you know damn well the **** would've been hitting the fan a long time ago.
Crap prison. Eating steaks and from buffets are crap? Having special foods brought in so they can have their type of foods?
Give me a break, the ones released have gone back to kill our soldiers in Iraq.
Do you think our enemies would be allowing them to roam free with excercise rooms, buffets, etc NO they wouldnt.
What is wrong with people, these people are NOT AMERICAN citizens and have NO rights as citizens.
Stop using your political sides to make choices for our enemies. This is NOT a dem or rep thing, they are prisoners and need to be treated no better then our criminals in our system.
Our supreme court should be ashamed of themselves. Come on Ginsbger thinks that foreign law applies to her decisions, what does that tell you?
They should get no rights other then a square cell and 3 meals a day, no buffets, no special foods, no special clothing, nothing.
Go ahead and give them your rights as Americans and you will pay the price.
American citizens are innocent until proven guilty, enemies are guilty until proven innocent and should be treated as such.
Again, peoples brains are clogged for their hatred of Bush and again those same people are going to put us in a bad position with this looney thought. I know you all hate Bush so bad that you want to hand these criminals our rights? If they are found guilty maybe we can ship all those who want to give them your rights to gitmo so you can be with them.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Until the prisoners in Gitmo have had the opportunity to challenge that statement before a tribunal, they are required to receive all the protections of a POW.
It gets circular when the agreement spells out who it does not apply to and then is used in their defense.

What the convention calls for is tribunals as you previously stated. Our courts blocked our tirbunals and granted access to civilian courts which IMO is the wrong decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies