U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-15-2007, 10:15 PM
 
Location: Orange County
354 posts, read 762,606 times
Reputation: 169

Advertisements

con·ser·va·tive (kən-sūr'və-tĭv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.
4. a. Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
b. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
5. Conservative, Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
6. Conservative, Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.

con·ser·va·tive (kən-sūr'və-tĭv)
n.
1. One favoring traditional views and values.
2. A supporter of political conservatism.
3. Conservative, A member or supporter of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
4. Archaic A preservative agent or principle.

That's pretty much how I'd describe it.

 
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
 
Location: in my imagination
11,042 posts, read 18,133,225 times
Reputation: 7670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
con·ser·va·tive (kən-sūr'və-tĭv)
adj.
1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.
4. a. Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
b. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
5. Conservative, Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
6. Conservative, Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.

con·ser·va·tive (kən-sūr'və-tĭv)
n.
1. One favoring traditional views and values.
2. A supporter of political conservatism.
3. Conservative, A member or supporter of the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
4. Archaic A preservative agent or principle.

That's pretty much how I'd describe it.
you cant go by a dictionary defenition.For one thing I've got hair down to my chest,if you saw me sterotype wise you would peg me for a leftist hippie....which I am not.I wear blue jeans most of the time not dark suits lol!

as far as traditional,yeah sometimes.I want to stay traditional to the Bill of Rights because being "progressive" about it is a step in the wrong direction and lossing individual rights.


as far as civil/social rights.....if you look at history of America you'll find in both parties there were those against and for it.Case in point,research the history of the Buffalo soldiers incident in Brownville Texas in the early 1900's
 
Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 PM
 
1,608 posts, read 9,030,967 times
Reputation: 936
Conservative - one who respects the country, the laws and tradition. Repectible people that respect life and don't believe in kiling babies, turning the country over to illegals, or apologizing for believing in God. My kind of people!
 
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,367,738 times
Reputation: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Conservative - one who respects the country, the laws and tradition. Repectible people that respect life and don't believe in kiling babies, turning the country over to illegals, or apologizing for believing in God. My kind of people!
Yeah, they don't believe in killing babies................

They want to wait until they are at LEAST 18 before they want to get them killed. lol.

-TT
 
Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
 
1,393 posts, read 2,492,572 times
Reputation: 413
A Conservative is someone that tries to stop a liberal from giving away everything you have worked for including your country to someone that does not want to work for their own !
 
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,128 posts, read 19,769,195 times
Reputation: 17291
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
A Conservative is someone that tries to stop a liberal from giving away everything you have worked for including your country to someone that does not want to work for their own !
It isn't the liberals doing that. It's the neo-cons. Guys like Bush, Rove, Rumsfeld, Rice, the Clintons, etc. They are the ones selling our economy to China, our ports to Europe, our economic base to the Middle East, and our jobs to Mexico and India. Why are they doing it? To fill their own coffers. To line their pockets with silk. They are nothing more than modern-day robber barons and carpet baggers.

This is the one area where the true conservatives and the true liberals can unite. Protect locally-owned and operated businesses. Strengthen the unions. Repeal NAFTA and CAFTA. Take our country back!
 
Old 01-16-2007, 04:19 PM
 
Location: N.H.
1,022 posts, read 3,150,814 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Strengthen the unions. !
I would never Do this. The unions should be abolished. They create a It's not my job attatude, Force ppl to pay dues to work, and Abuse their power when they have it. I think if you have to pay to work than you are not worth Hiring. Non union shops get better bennies and money here. Union ppl in NH Sit on the bench most of the time. As the unions can't get them work due to poor Quality work, done by them. I hope the rest of the country's unions are not this way. But still I would NEVER strengthen the unions. I got 2 Buddies that are Shop Stewrts and they both hate it. They always talk about having to defend guys that should not of been hired in the first place, that they would even fire if it wasn't there job to defend the Bums. (not my words theirs.)They did have a time but it is gone. Here in NH the state Just Forced the State workers to Join the Union and pay dues. Sounds like someone is lining pockets to me. But that's what happens when A Govenor goes liberal.
 
Old 01-16-2007, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,128 posts, read 19,769,195 times
Reputation: 17291
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
I would never Do this. The unions should be abolished. They create a It's not my job attatude, Force ppl to pay dues to work, and Abuse their power when they have it. I think if you have to pay to work than you are not worth Hiring. Non union shops get better bennies and money here. Union ppl in NH Sit on the bench most of the time. As the unions can't get them work due to poor Quality work, done by them. I hope the rest of the country's unions are not this way. But still I would NEVER strengthen the unions. I got 2 Buddies that are Shop Stewrts and they both hate it. They always talk about having to defend guys that should not of been hired in the first place, that they would even fire if it wasn't there job to defend the Bums. (not my words theirs.)They did have a time but it is gone. Here in NH the state Just Forced the State workers to Join the Union and pay dues. Sounds like someone is lining pockets to me. But that's what happens when A Govenor goes liberal.
I'll be the first to admit that many unions need to be cleaned up. But there's no doubt that it was the unions who won workers many of the rights we now enjoy, and in many cases unionization are workers best way to keep their rights, preserve jobs and wages, etc.

I will support abolishing the unions if we can abolish boards of directors and corporate personhood along with them. If you are going to declaw the kittens, you need to declaw the Fat Cats first.
 
Old 01-16-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Location: N.H.
1,022 posts, read 3,150,814 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
. But there's no doubt that it was the unions who won workers many of the rights we now enjoy,
.
That's it they HAD a time but not nomore. All the places I have worked have always taken care of their employees. and paid better than the unions. Union Bennies suck. Compaired to non union shops here in NH Along with the pay. I worked at Componies where we ran the union guys off the site when they where trying to Salt. Not 1 person defended them 1 time the entire crew of 30 chased a salter 3 blocks to the union hall in Dover at the time. LOL the union hall wouldn't even let in there own guy. LMFAO. We didn't beat them or anything we just let the Union reps know that it wouldn't be to smart to send salters to a good shop that takes care of us, Because we will return the favor if the union ever comes around and we did.
 
Old 01-17-2007, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Maine
15,128 posts, read 19,769,195 times
Reputation: 17291
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
All the places I have worked have always taken care of their employees. and paid better than the unions.
Your situation is not representative of most industries though.

Unions might not work in all situations. But given the current state of the American worker, we sure need them in large portions of the workforce.

Have you noticed that the so-called "golden age" of the middle class was also the same time that unions were strongest. Reagan comes in and starts busting the unions, and what happens? The rich get really super-rich, the poor get poorer, and the middle class begins to slide downhill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top